Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: KATHLEEN KENNEDY RENEWS CONTRACT WITH LUCASFILM  (Read 1213 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: September 29, 2018, 12:43:31 PM »

Kathleen Kennedy, head of Lucasfilm since Disney bought it from George Lucas, has renewed her contract as head of the studio.

http://collider.com/kathleen-kennedy-lucasfilm-contract/

Is this a good thing? Do you think the future of Star Wars is in good hands? And what are your opinions on recent comments from Bob Iger (head honcho of Disney) that the mistakes made with the franchise are his fault for trying to do too much too soon?

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 12:46:21 PM »

I think he was doing what a leader does, taking a hit for the team.  If KK stays at the helm...I forsee continued problems.  That's just my opinion, if I go on longer I'll begin to rant. Tongue   

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 01:12:09 PM »

If you look at the long list of movies KK has been involved with before she became head of Lucasfilm it's clear that she has skills and talent as a producer. HOWEVER, I do not think she loves Star Wars and the franchise in the same way that Kevin Feige loves the MCU.

Watch any interview with Kevin Feige and it is clear his knowledge and passion for the Marvel charaters. Couple that with his abilities as a studio head/producer and you have a franchise that is a massive success. Crucially too, he is not prepared to rest on their laurels and is continually pushing for new and different stories to be told in the MCU (with varying degrees of success). This has resulted in masses of goodwill with fans of the MCU.

I'm not saying KK should leave Lucasfilm, as I'm never one to advocate for someone to lose their job. However, I do think she should bring in someone who LOVES Star Wars to help her decision making in terms of guiding the future of the franchise.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 01:14:37 PM »

She doesn't bother me, but I like all of the Star Wars films. Yes, I said it. Even The Last Jedi. Even the bomb, Solo: A Star Wars Story. I contributed to its $392.8 million box office, and I bought it at work very early when it was released. (seriously, I bought it at 2 AM, when I was on my lunch break) Anyway, I don't have a problem with Kathleen Kennedy. She's produced a lot of really good movies over the years, in my opinion. Not bad for someone who Steven Spielberg originally hired as his secretary. She's actually 3 for 4 as far as moneymakers in the Star Wars films that have been produced under her leadership, and has a good track record as a producer, so it's not surprising Disney re-upped her contract.

I think she may love Star Wars, she seemed pretty gung ho about signing new projects. (perhaps too many at once) However, I think she wants to take the franchise in new directions.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 01:36:08 PM »

If you look at the long list of movies KK has been involved with before she became head of Lucasfilm it's clear that she has skills and talent as a producer. HOWEVER, I do not think she loves Star Wars and the franchise in the same way that Kevin Feige loves the MCU.

Watch any interview with Kevin Feige and it is clear his knowledge and passion for the Marvel charaters. Couple that with his abilities as a studio head/producer and you have a franchise that is a massive success. Crucially too, he is not prepared to rest on their laurels and is continually pushing for new and different stories to be told in the MCU (with varying degrees of success). This has resulted in masses of goodwill with fans of the MCU.

I'm not saying KK should leave Lucasfilm, as I'm never one to advocate for someone to lose their job. However, I do think she should bring in someone who LOVES Star Wars to help her decision making in terms of guiding the future of the franchise.

I agree.  I think she does Love Star Wars, but she loves what she thinks she can form it into, not for what it is. 

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 02:09:00 PM »

I believe that KK is really talented and there may be a movie or parts of a movie that I didn’t particularly care for but I like her leadership and direction so far.  Things don’t come without faults and I believe there are movies that could of Beene excited far better.

I do agree with Tepes that she loves what she she thinks she can form it to. 

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 02:30:38 PM »

I defended Star Wars under Disney all the way up until TLJ, that was the straw.  But, if i were to make a list of the pros and cons of the new era..they would be almost even.  its just the cons are so glaring they stand out the most.  I think the problem was the same as Lucas... there's no one to say "whoa wait a minute...you sure about this?"   

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 02:44:35 PM »

TLJ also wasn't my favorite but I did enjoy parts of it myself and I have to agree that there wasn't many people to ask or stand up against quite a bit of the direction that it was going.  I often wondered if it would of went a different route if J.J. Abrams directed the movie instead of Rian

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 02:50:13 PM »

Just saw this and couldn't help but laugh

https://www.facebook.com/ScreenJunkies/videos/318888405328634/?hc_ref=ARSn11jPSu6sW7oet1IgRLHhiwL8rz79RjEVamCTCo62nw4-jSa_yHksWXf1AfhH98A&__xts__

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 02:54:21 PM »

That made me laugh too, have a point

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 02:55:42 PM »

TLJ also wasn't my favorite but I did enjoy parts of it myself and I have to agree that there wasn't many people to ask or stand up against quite a bit of the direction that it was going.  I often wondered if it would of went a different route if J.J. Abrams directed the movie instead of Rian

No doubt, not just because of their differing styles, but JJ began a story that Rian discarded.  A trilogy should have an outline, a general direction.  But, for what ever reason, KK gave Johnson carte Blanche and he told the story he wanted to tell.  But that doesn't work when its the second part of a consecutive trilogy.  Now, JJ is back at the helm and trying to salvage what little bit of his story he can.  As I stated in the other thread, there just doesn't seem to be any focus.  Star Wars is one of, if not the biggest franchise in history.  It's history spans 40 years with multiple generations of fans.  I just feel it deserves more time, effort and attention than it's currently getting.  

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 04:00:38 PM »

No doubt, not just because of their differing styles, but JJ began a story that Rian discarded.  A trilogy should have an outline, a general direction.  But, for what ever reason, KK gave Johnson carte Blanche and he told the story he wanted to tell.  But that doesn't work when its the second part of a consecutive trilogy.  Now, JJ is back at the helm and trying to salvage what little bit of his story he can.  As I stated in the other thread, there just doesn't seem to be any focus.

I completely agree with you, Darth Tepes.  I knew there were going to be issues when multiple directors are involved in a trilogy. Of course, there are a few that are the exception but in the Star Wars universe, consistency is key.  You're right, there doesn't seem to be any focus and things appear to be all over the place unlike the original trilogy that you can tell was carefully planned and mapped out.  Even the prequels were carefully planned even though quite a bit of people disliked them.

I remember that when Disney announced more Star Wars movies but with different directors in each, I was a bit hesitant for this very reason.  If it's going to be a trilogy, at least keep the same director or ones that are liked minded.   It's true that J.J. Abrams only intended to direct episode 7 and maybe how Rian's not too popular take with TLJ made him return.  I only hope that he can salvage the damage that's done.

Star Wars is one of, if not the biggest franchise in history.  It's history spans 40 years with multiple generations of fans.  I just feel it deserves more time, effort and attention than it's currently getting. 

Exactly.  It's history, stories and characters have been around for so long that if you're going to end a story or a character, do so that honors them since all fans alike have grown with them and are attached to him in various ways.

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2018, 04:16:23 PM »

Honestly I don't feel this is good news.  I thought TLJ ruined a lot of the Star Wars story in general and now I have less hopes that Episode IX can atone for it.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: