Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Standard Issue Battle Saber Review - Pictures & text only.  (Read 5709 times)
hedgehog1
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 64

Never going to grow up.

« on: January 29, 2013, 04:24:38 AM »

Greetings fellow Jedi (and those who lean to the dark side, too, I guess  Grin ).

Here are a few pictures of the Standard Issue Battle Saber that I received last week.  The color is Guardian Blue:

This saber is a 'two piece' design.  It  has a single hilt/emitter, and a pommel.  This unit is the VERY basic battery, Resistor, Switch and LED Module.

Being an engineer type of person, I did what any engineer would do.  I got out my calipers and started measuring!

You know how they say the the emitter opening is meant for a 1 inch blade?  Look just how accurate the 1 inch bore really is:

1.0005 inches.  That is beyond the level of accuracy really needed here frankly!  Also notice the thickness of the aluminum here - this is the thickness of the hilt all the way through, except where it had to be bored out to make room for the batteries.

Next, a shot of the solid pommel:

It is .87 inches thick of solid aluminum.  

Now a look at the bored out area of the hilt, done to make room for batteries (and room for the optional sound board, too):

It has been bored nearly 4 inches deep.  If you subtract the threaded area where the pommel screws in, the real available area is about 3.3 inches of bore.

That shiny circle 'down the hole' (that the camera didn't want to focus on) is where the larger bore ends and the hilt walls are full thickness again.

For those that have not seen a blade plug in an angled emitter - well now you have:

OK - That is my simple review on the excellent build quality and immense strength of the saber's hilt.  

One more required 'Hero' shot of the saber:

And we are done!  Happy Sabering everybody!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 04:36:51 AM by hedgehog1 » Logged

Hedgehogs prefer Light-sided points, please.

Standard Issue
Dark Standard Issue
Arbiter

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 05:00:49 AM »

Nice simple saber. And I gotta ask, what size velcro is that? Thinness wise? Been trying to find the right size for my Bellicose. It has the Obsidian sound pack. Every size I try seems to be too thick though.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

hedgehog1
Knight Ensign

Never going to grow up.

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 05:27:15 AM »

Zren Tobas:

Remember this is the 4-AAA battery pack, not the Li-Ion pack, but the Velcro is 1 inch wide, 1/16 of an inch thick.  It has hooks on one side, and loops on the other.  It basically makes 1 thickness of Velcro on three sides, and 2 thicknesses on the forth side with the overlap.

I don't know if this helps, but a father/son video review talked about wrapping a little self-adhesive ace bandage to hold the batter pack in tighter:

You would have to fool with it to find the right amount for your hilt and Li-Ion pack & Sound board be be tight enough (but not TOO tight).

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 05:31:31 AM by hedgehog1 » Logged

Standard Issue
Dark Standard Issue
Arbiter

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »

Very cool!  As someone who's done quite a bit of engine work (and a little with transmissions) I appreciate those super tight tolerances.  I keep meaning to buy a mic/caliper set.  Never have gotten around to it. 

Point for you, sir.

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 10:47:28 PM »

I'm going to try thick rubber bands actually. Those might work.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO

hedgehog1
Knight Ensign

Never going to grow up.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 10:58:13 PM »

Point for you, sir.

Always appreciated!

Standard Issue
Dark Standard Issue
Arbiter

chicago.jedi
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 287

Light side points please

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 02:04:28 AM »

I just bought one of these sabers, too. I feel no need to review it again since you covered it better than I could.
    I just wanted to say to anyone concidering this saber that is it very nice. I was worried that it might be too "plain jane" but when I got it, I was very pleased. It is simple but eligant. Clean lines, nice shape and feel. Not disappointed at all. The name itself suggests to me a backstory of a new Jedi being sent to the field for the first time before having the chance to build his own personal lightsaber and being given this saber as a general issue item.

hedgehog1
Knight Ensign

Never going to grow up.

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 02:20:51 AM »

chicago.jedi,

The 'simple and clean lines' attracted me to this saber, too.  The solid feel of it in my hands makes we want to hold it.

Did you go with the sound board option on yours?  Or is yours a stunt saber?

Standard Issue
Dark Standard Issue
Arbiter

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 02:43:19 AM »

Is it me or do the grooves kinda go in deep? I kinda like the look of that. xp Is this nice and solid with no blade wobble no matter what blade you use? I'm considering getting one in the future. =]

chicago.jedi
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 287

Light side points please

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 03:06:41 AM »

hedgehog1,
     No sound. It is the very first saber I bought and I kind of bought it to test the waters, so to speak. Wanted to check out Ultrasaber's products before spending big $$$.  Very happy with the products and company (outstanding customer service). Already have my eye on another saber and that one will be with all of the bells and whistles.
     Very happy with the Standard Issue as is, though. Will serve me well for now. My son already has his eye on it. It will probably be passed down to him someday. His father will want him to have it when he is old enough...even if his uncle will not allow it.

eerockk
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 662

TPLA Lx Apprentice - Nova 7

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 03:20:52 AM »

I keep thinking that this would make a great shoto to the Bellicose, and your pics kinda help me see it a little more. Point, and congrats on your saber. Careful though. Well, you're probably hooked already, aren't you?  Wink

Bellicose - Prophecy V3 - Overlord - Archon 2.1 - Guardian

Obi-Jacob
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 09:07:38 AM »

Being an engineer type of person, I did what any engineer would do.  I got out my calipers and started measuring!

If you were a real engineer you would use SI units instead of imperial units.  Tongue

Sorry couldn't help myself. Here, have a point to apologize for making fun of you.   Grin

Aeon v2 - CG
Dominix LE v2 - AB
Aeon v3 - SD
Dominix LE v3 - BR
Raven - CG
Archon v2 obsidian - AS/GB FoC

hedgehog1
Knight Ensign

Never going to grow up.

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 04:24:48 PM »

If you were a real engineer you would use SI units instead of imperial units.  Tongue

I did, in fact, struggle with what unit of measure to use.  I prefer millimeters for small items like this, but as the blades are sold as '1 inch', I went with that unit of measure.  My compromise was using decimals instead of fractions for the measurements.

Standard Issue
Dark Standard Issue
Arbiter

hedgehog1
Knight Ensign

Never going to grow up.

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »

Is it me or do the grooves kinda go in deep? I kinda like the look of that. xp Is this nice and solid with no blade wobble no matter what blade you use? I'm considering getting one in the future. =]

The grooves are deeper than the ones in my arbiter 'body' section.  There is no blade wobble - if you are looking for a hardy hilt for dueling, this makes a very good choice.  Space is tight in the battery/sound board area because so much aluminum is left in the hilt.

Standard Issue
Dark Standard Issue
Arbiter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: