Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 939690 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #2805 on: October 11, 2018, 12:09:55 PM »

I agree with what you're saying, Tepes.  The Jedi of the Old Republic were also in war for quite some time and they worked on expanding their skills.  The Jedi of the Prequel era were content with where they were at since "the Sith are no longer alive" kind of mentality. The is kind of like the military where they decrease their population during peace time but then start recruiting like crazy when a conflict arises.  The recruitment during war time, I believe, leaves a lot of training that one who experience if their weren't in a hurry to spit soldiers out versus during peace time then they can take their time and mold the soldier into who they want that soldier to be.  I think it's around the same type of mentality between the Old Republic versus the Prequel era.  One was in constant war and conflicts so they made sure to keep expanding their knowledge and skill sets since the Sith were around and you never know when they'll be in a fight versus the Prequel era when the Sith was "no more". 

I also think that the Old Republic Jedis were like music from the 70s and 80s versus the Prequel Jedis were like the music from the 2000s.  The former were instant classics and had a way about themselves versus the newer Jedis were the "watered down" version of the original.  They were taught some of the same things but throughout the generations, smaller things got left out until the Prequel Era.

Agreed.  Having family and friends in the military from different eras I can see the difference in training they received.  Within the old EU I felt Luke got close to the Old Republic level of skill with his Jedi.  Evidenced by him kicking Sith lords asses who had their training passed down since the Old Republic.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2806 on: October 11, 2018, 12:15:02 PM »

Agreed.  Having family and friends in the military from different eras I can see the difference in training they received.  Within the old EU I felt Luke got close to the Old Republic level of skill with his Jedi.  Evidenced by him kicking Sith lords asses who had their training passed down since the Old Republic.

Yes, the Luke in the old EU was a kick ass Jedi and he was as close to the Old Republic Jedi that we were going to get. 

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #2807 on: October 11, 2018, 12:19:43 PM »

Yes, the Luke in the old EU was a kick ass Jedi and he was as close to the Old Republic Jedi that we were going to get. 

two Lines I love from the EU about Luke.  One Spoken by Jacen when he was talking to himself about his purpose and knew he was more powerful than luke....but then he said this:   "...but, the galaxy is littered with the body parts of those who underestimate Luke Skywalker."

then in the very last EU book.  the Sith Vestra Khai told her employer "You only get one shot at Luke Skywalker....if your lucky."

But he wasn't perfect.  The EU is also full of his failings. Difference was he didn't run from them.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2808 on: October 11, 2018, 01:23:42 PM »

two Lines I love from the EU about Luke.  One Spoken by Jacen when he was talking to himself about his purpose and knew he was more powerful than luke....but then he said this:   "...but, the galaxy is littered with the body parts of those who underestimate Luke Skywalker."

Ah yes, I remembered this.  Jacen in the book "Inferno" from the Legacy of the Force series after talking about how Mara Jade "was a great Jedi..." and a good aunt (I think he said loving, been a while), and then thought to himself about his uncle.

then in the very last EU book.  the Sith Vestra Khai told her employer "You only get one shot at Luke Skywalker....if your lucky."

But he wasn't perfect.  The EU is also full of his failings. Difference was he didn't run from them.

I don't think I've read this book since I don't remember that quote.  May have to just re-read my collection again.

Indeed, Luke wasn't perfect, but he learned and grew from them.  Look at the Young Jedi series or when Kyp was influenced by Exar Kun's spirit, Luke never did give up on him nor did he try to end his life in his sleep.  And then there's Zekk who turned into the Shadow Academy only to realize his mistake and joined the new Jedi school with Jaina and Jacen.  Luke had his mistakes but just like you mentioned, he owned up to them and learned from them is what made him a formidable Jedi against those that tried to harm him and his new Jedi Order. 

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2809 on: October 11, 2018, 02:14:43 PM »

The Lightsaber duels that never happened thread have made me think about something.  Were the Jedi of the Old Republic, as a whole, more powerful than the Jedi of the Prequel era?     common sense dictates as time progresses skill and power, even as a group , should grow.  But it seemed the Jedi were more interested in maintaining the status quo instead of expanding their knowledge.  This was evidenced in Season 6 of Clone Wars when Yoda was questioning what he knew after hearing Qui-Gon.  The council shrugged it off as "that cant happen".   Only Anakin was open to the possibility.  My thought is in terms of knowledge the Old Jedi and the new were kind of even.  Now in terms of skill with a Saber and Force abilities, I think the old republic would have been more skilled since they were fighting Sith on a more constant level.   The Sith on the other hand, I think were More powerful by the time of Palpatine.  The Sith did not reject expanding their knowledge, in fact they encouraged it.  Uncle George himself said Palpatine was the most powerful Sith who ever lived.  Hazy early morning ramblings.
I heard it somewhere, possibly from Yoda, but 1,000 years of peace had made the Jedi soft. Despite still being capable warriors, they were not of the same caliber as their O.R. predecessors. Conversely, thanks to Big Daddy Bane, the Rule of Two almost guaranteed that only strong successors would continue the order. Each generation learning what they could before proving themselves by dispatching their masters.

I also think that the Old Republic Jedis were like music from the 70s and 80s versus the Prequel Jedis were like the music from the 2000s.  The former were instant classics and had a way about themselves versus the newer Jedis were the "watered down" version of the original.  They were taught some of the same things but throughout the generations, smaller things got left out until the Prequel Era.
I don't think anything was ever an instant classic. What makes a classic is what makes it stand out from the rest and its ability withstand the shrouds of time.

two Lines I love from the EU about Luke.  One Spoken by Jacen when he was talking to himself about his purpose and knew he was more powerful than luke....but then he said this:   "...but, the galaxy is littered with the body parts of those who underestimate Luke Skywalker."

then in the very last EU book.  the Sith Vestra Khai told her employer "You only get one shot at Luke Skywalker....if your lucky."

But he wasn't perfect.  The EU is also full of his failings. Difference was he didn't run from them.
ALL HAIL THE OCEU.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2810 on: October 13, 2018, 07:56:46 AM »

Logos, maybe you will like this version of TFA better.

<a href="http://ww.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv_hGITmNuo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"><b>!</b> No longer available</a>

And then this is just great.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9t-slLl30E" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9t-slLl30E</a>

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #2811 on: October 14, 2018, 03:42:54 AM »

The Lightsaber duels that never happened thread have made me think about something.  Were the Jedi of the Old Republic, as a whole, more powerful than the Jedi of the Prequel era?     common sense dictates as time progresses skill and power, even as a group , should grow.  But it seemed the Jedi were more interested in maintaining the status quo instead of expanding their knowledge.  This was evidenced in Season 6 of Clone Wars when Yoda was questioning what he knew after hearing Qui-Gon.  The council shrugged it off as "that cant happen".   Only Anakin was open to the possibility.  My thought is in terms of knowledge the Old Jedi and the new were kind of even.  Now in terms of skill with a Saber and Force abilities, I think the old republic would have been more skilled since they were fighting Sith on a more constant level.   The Sith on the other hand, I think were More powerful by the time of Palpatine.  The Sith did not reject expanding their knowledge, in fact they encouraged it.  Uncle George himself said Palpatine was the most powerful Sith who ever lived.  Hazy early morning ramblings.

Since the "Old" Republic is a decent chunk of time, were you thinking more KOTOR or Darth Bane era? I can't comment too much on KOTOR but interesting thing about reading the Bane trilogy, even though the novel focuses mostly on Sith (big surprise) the Jedi battles and way they are portrayed gives an aura of battle hardened warriors. Some of the saber work that is described is just top tier stuff, seems like it would have given any of the modern Jedi/Sith a run for their money. It was also the first time I'd come across "battle meditation" and I think it just goes to show the Jedi were serious about kicking tail and taking names.

Bouncing to the Prequels, for the longest time I thought that the whole "Jedi never saw Sidious coming" plotline was a bit of plot hole. I mean after watching the prequels how could the Jedi at the pinnacle of their time period be so blind? Then the Clone Wars series rolls around and my personal plot hole is closed completely. The series did a lot of stuff really well, but among its greatest points was showing just how arrogant, lazy, and complacent the Jedi Order has become as a whole. They sit in their high towers looking down on the rest of the populace and only dispatch their members when something fairly serious happens. As it turns out, it wasn't the "pinnacle" of the Order's existence, but the "twilight" years before fading away. The series also pointed out the fact that the Jedi couldn't have cared less about the criminal underworld or much of the suffering of other sentients. I have to imagine that General Hoth (one of the main characters in Bane) if he was in Yoda's position would have taken steps to greatly improve the galaxy and served a more proactive role.

So... yeah, Old Republic Jedi gotta be better. In all kinds of ways.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #2812 on: October 15, 2018, 07:36:24 PM »

Since the "Old" Republic is a decent chunk of time, were you thinking more KOTOR or Darth Bane era? I can't comment too much on KOTOR but interesting thing about reading the Bane trilogy, even though the novel focuses mostly on Sith (big surprise) the Jedi battles and way they are portrayed gives an aura of battle hardened warriors. Some of the saber work that is described is just top tier stuff, seems like it would have given any of the modern Jedi/Sith a run for their money. It was also the first time I'd come across "battle meditation" and I think it just goes to show the Jedi were serious about kicking tail and taking names.

Bouncing to the Prequels, for the longest time I thought that the whole "Jedi never saw Sidious coming" plotline was a bit of plot hole. I mean after watching the prequels how could the Jedi at the pinnacle of their time period be so blind? Then the Clone Wars series rolls around and my personal plot hole is closed completely. The series did a lot of stuff really well, but among its greatest points was showing just how arrogant, lazy, and complacent the Jedi Order has become as a whole. They sit in their high towers looking down on the rest of the populace and only dispatch their members when something fairly serious happens. As it turns out, it wasn't the "pinnacle" of the Order's existence, but the "twilight" years before fading away. The series also pointed out the fact that the Jedi couldn't have cared less about the criminal underworld or much of the suffering of other sentients. I have to imagine that General Hoth (one of the main characters in Bane) if he was in Yoda's position would have taken steps to greatly improve the galaxy and served a more proactive role.

Yea, Hoth would have definitely been more proactive.  The Books give a good idea at their prowess, but if you haven't seen it take a gander at this.  I think its clear at that time they were superior duelists all around:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm4JEZudf0c" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"><b>!</b> No longer available</a>

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #2813 on: October 15, 2018, 07:41:49 PM »

I love that video! the abilities that the duelists used are on a scale much higher than most I have seen in the civil war/first order era

the only real exception being starkiller. that guy was stupid overpowered

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #2814 on: October 15, 2018, 07:44:14 PM »

But he [Luke Sykywalker] wasn't perfect.  The EU is also full of his failings. Difference was he didn't run from them.

This was SO true! It was true all through the EU.  Luke was always a powerful Jedi, always amazing, always found a way to win ... and always made mistakes and LEARNED FROM THEM.

this is what we loved about Luke.  What we respected about Luke.  What we came to expect FROM Luke.

And then The Last Jedi....

This is one of the core failings of this movie in particular and the Ep 7-8-9 trilogy in general (so far) - they've taken our expectations, birthed in the original trilogy and reinforced by DECADES of amazing stories and information, and simply trashed them.  Luke is maybe the most egregious example but its not the only one.  

Sorry, had to chime in.  I love SW.  I write fanfic of Star Wars.  Some would say good fanfic.  But the most recent offerings (Rogue One excepted, mostly) have simply strayed to far from the roots.  If they don't go back to the roots of what SW is at its essence, the final movie will fail as well.  And that will be the end ... for a while.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #2815 on: October 15, 2018, 07:48:12 PM »

Some would say good fanfic.

Very good. anyone who disagrees hasn't read it yet.

-Broadside

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2816 on: October 15, 2018, 08:29:59 PM »

The Jedi of the era surrounding Bane were still battle hardened fighting the Sith army of the Brotherhood of Darkness. Yes by comparison to the Lords from the Sith Empire, those of the Brotherhood were decisively weaker. But Bane took care of 3-birds with the stone of the Rule of Two.

1) By diminishing their numbers and going underground, 2 people in an entire galaxy become impossibly difficult to find. Plus, they became as rumor, and just as easily dismissed, allowing the Jedi Order to believe their ancient foe was finally destroyed.

2) Bane theorized that the Force sides were limited by how many were using them; like cups drawing from a bowl. The more cups drawing meant the less each could be filled. In this way the tens of thousands of Jedi drawing from the light side would not be as powerful as only 2 Sith drawing from the dark side.

3) Also by reducing their number to 2, despite not being the only DS users in the galaxy, the balance of the Force was drastically shifted to the light. The nature of the Force is balance. And after a millennium of tipping in one direction, the Force moved to balance itself. The dark side pushed back, strengthening the Sith and weakening the Jedi.

This was SO true! It was true all through the EU.  Luke was always a powerful Jedi, always amazing, always found a way to win ... and always made mistakes and LEARNED FROM THEM.

this is what we loved about Luke.  What we respected about Luke.  What we came to expect FROM Luke.

And then The Last Jedi....

This is one of the core failings of this movie in particular and the Ep 7-8-9 trilogy in general (so far) - they've taken our expectations, birthed in the original trilogy and reinforced by DECADES of amazing stories and information, and simply trashed them.  Luke is maybe the most egregious example but its not the only one. 

Sorry, had to chime in.  I love SW.  I write fanfic of Star Wars.  Some would say good fanfic.  But the most recent offerings (Rogue One excepted, mostly) have simply strayed to far from the roots.  If they don't go back to the roots of what SW is at its essence, the final movie will fail as well.  And that will be the end ... for a while.
Nothing but agrees

I love that video! the abilities that the duelists used are on a scale much higher than most I have seen in the civil war/first order era

the only real exception being starkiller. that guy was stupid overpowered
But SK was also a true believer. Before his betrayal, he fervently believed that what he was doing was for the good of the galaxy.

So....

his natural ability + unwavering conviction = unstoppable

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2817 on: October 16, 2018, 06:04:49 PM »

https://imgur.com/gallery/fsu79S6

https://i.imgur.com/EVH3zCN.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/G9HPGxO.mp4

Sig by For Tyeth

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #2818 on: October 16, 2018, 07:23:34 PM »

I think you forgot to take out the "s"

I cannot view it.

-Broadside

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2819 on: October 16, 2018, 08:54:44 PM »

I think you forgot to take out the "s"

I cannot view it.
These aren't YouTube vids, so the "s" is irrelevant.

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 263   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: