Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: First attempt at some saber choreography  (Read 4382 times)
TheDarkOpossum
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -94

A Sith with a heart of gold

« on: May 23, 2016, 02:31:00 AM »

Hey everyone! I'm still getting used to my Dark Apprentice and the difference in weight distribution as compared to a contact staff, but I thought I'd record a little bit of the practice I got in today. There's definitely some kinks to work out, but I'm having fun with the process!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vDlPit-mxg&amp;feature=share" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vDlPit-mxg&amp;feature=share</a>

Cosplayer, Ecdysiast, and Variety Arts Performer
Tabletop Roleplayer for Life

Dark Apprentice v4 Staff - Violet Amethyst - Dahkali Vlakuhs (Twilight)/Clirnye'ata (Serenity)
Emerald Dark War Glaive - Dark Violet Amethyst x2 - The Doom Stick (working title)
Obsidian Consular - Consular Green/Adegan Silver FOC - Raffle Prize

Wishlist:
Catalyst, Chosen One CE, Archon v3.1, Raven

Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 03:16:26 AM »

Definitely a good start. You have a theatrical style that speaks to the heart of what the saber artistry section is about. As a word of advice, if you are used to doing contact staff and are planning to try contact moves with a saber, I strongly suggest a yari pike extension, to expand the staff's sweet spot, and some grip tape. I use Duck brand self fusing fix it wrap; it is a cheaper alternative to contact silicone.

TheDarkOpossum
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 04:01:50 AM »

Definitely a good start. You have a theatrical style that speaks to the heart of what the saber artistry section is about. As a word of advice, if you are used to doing contact staff and are planning to try contact moves with a saber, I strongly suggest a yari pike extension, to expand the staff's sweet spot, and some grip tape. I use Duck brand self fusing fix it wrap; it is a cheaper alternative to contact silicone.

That's great advice, thank you! To be honest I'm still pretty terrible at contact moves, but I wonder if the pike extension would make the weight distribution and momentum a bit more similar to what I'm accustomed to with my other staves. As for grip tape, that's definitely going to have to happen ASAP. I'll see if I can find some of the Duck brand tape locally!

Dark Apprentice v4 Staff - Violet Amethyst - Dahkali Vlakuhs (Twilight)/Clirnye'ata (Serenity)
Emerald Dark War Glaive - Dark Violet Amethyst x2 - The Doom Stick (working title)

Wishlist:

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 05:21:02 AM »

Very graceful and smooth. Would love to see more to some faster music maybe or with other saber types. Keep it up.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 09:44:06 AM »

Awesome TheDarkOpossum!

I can really see how your previous experience translates.  So smooth, and I like how you always had a decent hand-hold on the weapon. At no time did it look like someone could come along, and disarm you with a blade of grass.

Darth Caphalus, and Master Venturous are spinning gurus.  Heed their advice  - it's been invaluable to me.  (Even though at times I wish I could reach through my screen, and punch Venturous for making it look so damned easy...sigh.)

Points to the lot of you!

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 10:30:34 AM »

That's how a saber is enjoyed properly Smiley
I like the music too!

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 10:41:36 PM »

Awesome TheDarkOpossum!

I can really see how your previous experience translates.  So smooth, and I like how you always had a decent hand-hold on the weapon. At no time did it look like someone could come along, and disarm you with a blade of grass.

Darth Caphalus, and Master Venturous are spinning gurus.  Heed their advice  - it's been invaluable to me.  (Even though at times I wish I could reach through my screen, and punch Venturous for making it look so damned easy...sigh.)

Points to the lot of you!

It just takes practice and time. The more you put in, the more you'll get out, which is true for everything really. Everyone has the potential to spin these glowsticks. 😉

TheDarkOpossum
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 11:22:52 PM »

Thanks so much for the advice and the compliments everyone! It's very much appreciated. I definitely have plenty of things to learn still (I still need to get a better grasp of many transitions, as well as working more two-handed spins into my repertoire), but now that I have a prop that doesn't require fire to be impressive I have a little more incentive to practice more.  Grin

Very graceful and smooth. Would love to see more to some faster music maybe or with other saber types. Keep it up.

Yeah, I'm still looking for the right music for this particular act I am developing -- currently this one speaks to me the most, but I would like something more uptempo.  I have a lot of work to do in order to get comfortable with dual wielding, but my hope is that I can work out some sort of quick-connect apparatus so I can move from dual sabers to staff fairly seamlessly; before that can happen, though, I need to wrap my brain pan around the idea of tricks like the alternating obi-ani (having each hand in a different part of the same pattern still fries my circuits!).

Wishlist:

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 11:37:31 PM »

It just takes practice and time. The more you put in, the more you'll get out, which is true for everything really. Everyone has the potential to spin these glowsticks. 😉
I know Master Venturous,

I do practice diligently, whenever I can, and remind myself how easy you do make it look.

I watch your videos constantly, and will only practice the correct way of doing things.

I went straight for the obi/ani, and pretty much have it, but once I got to Plum flower, realized that I didn't have any sort of upward figure eight base at all.

Lesson learned.  I'm presently getting good at BOTH figure eights.

I've highjacked TDO's thread with this rambling quite long enough though.

Points for all - again. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

TheDarkOpossum
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 12:16:26 AM »

I know Master Venturous,

I do practice diligently, whenever I can, and remind myself how easy you do make it look.

I watch your videos constantly, and will only practice the correct way of doing things.

I went straight for the obi/ani, and pretty much have it, but once I got to Plum flower, realized that I didn't have any sort of upward figure eight base at all.

Lesson learned.  I'm presently getting good at BOTH figure eights.

Hijack away, there's no harm in it! It's amazing how muscle memory doesn't always translate when you start trying to master the move from a different position. And then there's other times where it might take you months of trying to nail a particular trick, then one day it just clicks and seems like the most natural thing in the world and you wonder why you had so much trouble with it. Brains are weird!

Wishlist:

Darth Weinstein
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -124

It's more fun on the dark side!

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 01:07:40 AM »

I really enjoyed the video. You are very smooth and fluid. I look forward to watching your skills develop. Thanks for sharing. Point.

My sabers: Dominix LE V4 BR, Manticore CE Nickel Plated VA, Grab Bag Aeon V3 CG, Bellicose SRD, Grab Bag Dark Apprentice LE V4 GB, Dark Liberator V3 DVA, Bane BH, Raffle Third Prize Dark Initiate V4 GB.

The only Jewish Sith Lord in the galaxy. I'm as ruthless as the next guy, but I feel guilty about it.

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 02:47:48 AM »

Thanks so much for the advice and the compliments everyone! It's very much appreciated. I definitely have plenty of things to learn still (I still need to get a better grasp of many transitions, as well as working more two-handed spins into my repertoire), but now that I have a prop that doesn't require fire to be impressive I have a little more incentive to practice more.  Grin

Yeah, I'm still looking for the right music for this particular act I am developing -- currently this one speaks to me the most, but I would like something more uptempo.  I have a lot of work to do in order to get comfortable with dual wielding, but my hope is that I can work out some sort of quick-connect apparatus so I can move from dual sabers to staff fairly seamlessly; before that can happen, though, I need to wrap my brain pan around the idea of tricks like the alternating obi-ani (having each hand in a different part of the same pattern still fries my circuits!).

If you're looking into dual wielding, Darth Cephalus is more the source to follow for that. He's pretty much the dual wielding guru around here. Another source of videos to check out would be ch3m1st videos (another member on here). As for the quick connect apparatus, you will definitely have to let me know if you find or make something like that, because I would very much love something like that. Hint hint Ultrasabers!

I know Master Venturous,

Lesson learned.  I'm presently getting good at BOTH figure eights.

I try to make videos in the order I think will help people progress the fastest, where each video is a prerequisite to the next. I know when I first learned, the upward figure 8 was the most annoying move I learned. And as TDO said, you can practice a move over and over for a month and then one day it will just click for you and you'll realize how easy it feels. It's kind of cool when that happens actually because you'll get a sudden burst of feeling badass when you can suddenly do a move.

Rathayatra
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 98

"Mud hole? Slimy? My home this is"

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 01:18:16 AM »

This is very sith . thanks for sharing your moves and look forward to more spinning .  point.

lightside points please --- thanks an old youngling
Initiate LE v4 CG             
Prophesy v3 OPS GB 
Graflex GB OPS
Yoda FX
Dk. Prophesy v3 SY
Standard Issue Battle v3 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 VA
Archon v2.1 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 CG
Dk. Menace tri GB
Consular v4 GB Nickel
Shock GB OPS + Raffle Prophesy CG Stunt
Archon v3.1 + spring raffle Dominix LE v4

Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 16

+ rebel, rebel +

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 12:38:57 AM »

You probably already know this but be careful not to get too close to the blades with the hands; if it appears you touched a blade it breaks the illusion of danger.

That was a pleasure to watch.  Keep it up!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: