Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Galactic Starfighter  (Read 5410 times)
Vyk
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 156

« on: December 11, 2013, 09:07:33 PM »

Subject pretty much says it all.  Opinions, from those who have access to it?

Anybody here have access to gunships, and if so, what do you think of them?  I started my sub mid-November, so I don't have them, so I can only draw conclusions from other people I've seen.  They seem useful, but not quite my style.  (My style is apparently "flying a high-speed tin can," based on the fact that I've flown strike fighters like twice, got bored and annoyed both times, and have spent the rest of my time in scouts.)

Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Dominix LE v4 Emerald RGBW, Obsidian v4
Manticore HP, Obsidian v4
Aeon LE v3 SY, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v3 3AS, Obsidian Lite
Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Aeon LE v2 AS, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt
Dark Liberator v2 BR, stunt
[censored] RGBA, [redacted] sound
Luke Skywalker, Kylo Ren, and Yoda Force FX Black Series
...and a bunch of cheap stuff.

Alvalon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 05:57:04 AM »

I like the gunships - until someone sees me. Then I'm kinda screwed, because there's no way in hell you're outrunning anyone

Vyk
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 05:50:36 PM »

I like the gunships - until someone sees me. Then I'm kinda screwed, because there's no way in hell you're outrunning anyone
Yeah, I noticed that; I got nailed by a gunship, respawned, flew back over, and saw him hiding at a stop under a support beam.  Crept up under him and opened fire.  He ran, of course, but going zero-to-snail in 10 seconds gives even a scout plenty of time to do you in.

I think that's my only solo kill.  Embarrassed  (Of course, if that actually bugged me, a scout would probably not be the best ship choice.)

Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt

Darth_Phobius47
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -176

Hawkbat 5

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 06:53:12 PM »

I suck at this new dlc! I can't seem to get used to the movement and the gunship is really hard to hit with! The strike fighter is ok, but the scout can't seem to last long. If I could get any better at this I might like it more, but right now I'm just not enjoying it. If only I had some friends to do this with maybe I would actually enjoy this.

My Arsenal

Dark Arbiter w/sound custom~EG/AS
Dark Standard v3~FO
Dark Liberator v3 (bro)~CG
Initiate v3 (sis)~VA
Grab Bag: Dark SI v3 vert grooves~BR
Consular w/sound~BR/FO
Menace SE w/sound~CG/FO
Raffle prizes: Graflex w/sound~GB/AS
                    Malice w/sound~BR/VA

Vyk
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 07:13:32 PM »

I suck at this new dlc! I can't seem to get used to the movement and the gunship is really hard to hit with! The strike fighter is ok, but the scout can't seem to last long. If I could get any better at this I might like it more, but right now I'm just not enjoying it. If only I had some friends to do this with maybe I would actually enjoy this.
I have two significant problems with it as it stands:
  • The control scheme.  Flying with a non-centering device (a mouse) is not pleasant--there's a reason joysticks have springs.  I want to be able to use a joystick; this would also give me faster access to the controls and a continuously-variable throttle.
  • Awareness.  The X-Wing series of games had two circles in the upper corners, one showing your front hemisphere and the other showing your back hemisphere; Galactic Starfighter does not.  This makes it harder to know where somebody is in relation to you, making it harder both to make kills and avoid being killed.
Related to that last point, I've crashed a few times because I wasn't aware how close I was to a pillar (rock, etc) when I tried to dodge an attack.  That's generally a limitation of any flight sim played on a monitor, though.

...and now we wait for both of those to be cartel-market purchases.  Angry

Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt

Darth_Phobius47
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -176

Hawkbat 5

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 01:14:00 AM »

Agreed. I think a joystick control combined with the keyboard, as well as rear camera views. This would make it a little better to control, detect, and evade.

My Arsenal

Dark Arbiter w/sound custom~EG/AS
Dark Standard v3~FO
Dark Liberator v3 (bro)~CG
Initiate v3 (sis)~VA
Grab Bag: Dark SI v3 vert grooves~BR
Consular w/sound~BR/FO
Menace SE w/sound~CG/FO
Raffle prizes: Graflex w/sound~GB/AS
                    Malice w/sound~BR/VA

JEStucker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 340

Founder - The Underfunded Force (Light Points)

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 03:50:53 AM »

The whole thing just feels like a cheap re-skin of a free Steam game I tried a while back called Star Conflict... In Star Conflict's favor, they have more than two encounter maps...

I was seriously hoping for something like the ship missions, but with more ability to control your flight path... I really wanted it to be something you could do solo, like X-Wing or TIE Fighter, not some "capture the flag, fly in circles with your mouse" crap...

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!

Dominix v2 Fire Orange
Aeon v3 Guardian Blue/Obsidian

Vyk
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 09:35:07 PM »

The whole thing just feels like a cheap re-skin of a free Steam game I tried a while back called Star Conflict... In Star Conflict's favor, they have more than two encounter maps...

I was seriously hoping for something like the ship missions, but with more ability to control your flight path... I really wanted it to be something you could do solo, like X-Wing or TIE Fighter, not some "capture the flag, fly in circles with your mouse" crap...
Reading between the lines, I see some signs that they may be planning to expand the content.  I don't remember exactly what I remember seeing (and I'm taking a short break at work and can't check right now), but I swear I saw something specifying a mission type of something like "PvP Conquest," which implies to me that there will be both other PvP battle types and also non-PvP missions.  As a result, I'm reserving judgment until it's officially live for everybody.

Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt

Pages: [1]   Go Up