Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: battery question  (Read 2151 times)
mandu
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: June 18, 2012, 01:47:38 PM »

Hello all. A quick question about the li-on batteries. How long do they generally last before completely croaking? I've had a phantom staff for about a year that i play with off and on, definitely not heavily used. I've charged the batteries maybe 10 times since buying it. As of late the LED colour has become dull and dim and no amount of charging will remedy this. I know it's the batteries because if I swap them out with the other sabre half, the blade glows bright and beautiful. Is this a common issue?

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 01:52:49 PM »

To be completely honest, any batteries (li-ion included) are somewhat spotty in terms of life.  There have been people who have bad cells right from the get go, which is almost always remedied by Deep right away.  Sadly, there's not much they can do about it.

You could try emailing them using [email protected] and/or [email protected].  Even if they can't help you in that regard, you could just get some new ones from the site.

The good news is, it sounds like you got a solid amount of battery life out of them.  Even 10 charges (though it sounds meager) probably saved you money on alkalines... not to mention it's nice to have the consistent color those Li-ion cells provide!

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 01:54:12 PM »

that and replacement cells are cheap, what 3$ on the ultrasabers site i think?

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

mandu
Force Sensitive

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 02:18:56 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Are any li-ons compatible with the sabres? I live in Japan, so placing an order for $3 batteries at a cost of $45 shipping isn't quite ideal.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 02:21:01 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Are any li-ons compatible with the sabres? I live in Japan, so placing an order for $3 batteries at a cost of $45 shipping isn't quite ideal.

Well you basically have to make sure you're getting the same voltage and current, and that it will fit inside the battery pack.  If you can find those same Trustfire cells somewhere closer then you should be good, just be sure to verify the specs.

Ninja-Jedi
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 168

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 02:36:15 PM »

it really all depends, i have sabers i built 2-3 years ago still rockin the same batteries, but i use 18650 cells i am not a big fan 14500 cells. I thinks alot of people have trouble getting them out of the pack and end up prying the batteries out. U can damage that way if u are not careful
on my last obsidian saber i cut the battery wires and spliced a JST connector to the battery pack so i could charge without removing batteries from the pack and to give more slack so i could pull it out farther worked like a charm.

mandu
Force Sensitive

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 02:38:12 PM »

Sweet. Am I correct in assuming that 3.7 is the max I should load in these bad boys?

mandu
Force Sensitive

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 02:42:09 PM »

I just checked an electronics supply store in my area. they carry UltraFire 18650/3000mAh. Would these be usable in my sabres? Also will my trustfire charger be compatible with them?

mandu
Force Sensitive

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 12:24:07 AM »

One more question. Will Ultrasabers sell me just the batteries? I don't need a whole mess of chargers cluttering up my house...

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 12:36:31 AM »

One more question. Will Ultrasabers sell me just the batteries? I don't need a whole mess of chargers cluttering up my house...

I believe if you buy the batteries by themselves it does not include the charger.  It only includes the charger if you get them with your saber (though you can email them to request only the batteries in that case).

Ninja-Jedi
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 168

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 01:45:16 AM »

the 18650 cell is certainly usable however they will not fit into any battery pack they are bigger than double AA, I make my own battery pack by using electriacal tape and taping wires to JST connectors have to wrap it tight then i heat shrink over, also since they are so big u have to stack them vertical if going for 7.4V to fit into most sabers so be sure u check them out before u buy and make  sure they will fit how u want them to. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: