Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Target: 206  (Read 5917 times)
James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« on: September 18, 2013, 08:01:53 PM »

252 pounds.

No, not the cost of my last order with Ultrasabers – my weight as of 26th August 2013. I won’t deign to give the weight in stones, because nuts to that, but it’s a good 14 pounds heavier than my previous high point.

I don’t think I have to explain that weighing that much just isn’t healthy (well, unless you’re 6’5 and ripped. I’m neither, alas...)

I did, in late 2010/early 2011, succeed in dropping enough weight to get down to about 190 pounds, but I wasn’t happy then, either (fussy, aren’t I?) I got that low because I’d just completed a diet when I got sick with a nasty bug. 190 pounds was about 10 pounds lighter than I intended on being, and I felt awful as a result. I overdid it a bit getting back to my intended weight, and we then got caught up in a tedious, drawn-out saga of a house move that did nothing for my restraint, either.

I'm not giving these as excuses - just reasons. Although I’ve made sporadic attempts to shift weight in the meantime, I’ve not stuck with them. This time it has to change. We have two little girls, 4 years and 6 months at the time of writing. I want to be able to run around with them as they grow up. Right now I can keep up with our older daughter, but as she gets bigger I’ll need to be faster!

My wife has convinced me to join her in working out to the Jillian Michaels DVDs, who the Americans among us may recognise as being a trainer on the Biggest Loser, or whatever it’s called. I’ll also be using the same low-carbohydrate diet I used a few years back, which saw me lose about 2 and a ½ stone in two months or so.

Last time I dieted, that’s all I did. Carbohydrates are my big weakness – bread, especially. Losing weight was easy, as I cut them out and enjoyed dropping 5 pounds a week or so. But this is about getting fit as well, and that’s a whole other ball game.

I’ve a naturally stocky build, to the extent that even thought my BMI registers technically as ‘obese’, when I went to see a doctor last year he was surprised that I came in as anything more than ‘overweight’. I may lose fat, but gain muscle, and that’s a trade I can live with... but I would like to wear trousers with a slimmer waist. Right now, I take a 40" or 42" waist. I'd like to fit into a 38" with room to spare - or even a 36".

Still, I have to set an initial goal, and my goal is as follows: By 23rd December, when I should finish work for Christmas (and have a week and a half of indulgence ahead of me!), I want to get down to 206 pounds - less would be better, but it's as good a number as any. That’s 46 pounds in 18 weeks.

I don’t know how realistic it is. I don’t know if I’ll end up as 230 pounds of lean muscle (probably not, but a man can dream). I do know that I have to lose weight, and this is as good a time as any, when my wife will barrack me into joining her in exercising as she shifts the handful of pounds of baby weight she wants to lose.

So, do share your encouragement here. I had intended to post this a while back, and I kept forgetting, so I do have some updates to share:

2nd September: 251 lbs (diet begins here)
9th September: 245 lbs
13th September: 245 lbs (rough week, broke the diet a couple of times)
18th September: 242 lbs

Oh, and point to anyone who can name the title reference Wink

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

chicago.jedi
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 287

Light side points please

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 12:28:42 AM »

I do not get the title reference but you have my encouragement none the less. Taking care of your body is the best gift you can give yourself.

Good luck.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 02:33:11 AM »

Just a point of information: There is no direct correlation between weight and height, my friend. There are a number of other factors involved, not the least of which are muscle density, skeletal size, and bone density.

I am 6' tall and people constantly guess my weight to be around 230-240.

I actually weigh around 310.

The reason why is because I have a big frame and my muscles are quite dense. I do not work out (even though I should), but I am still very physically strong. People refer to my hands as "ham-hocks" because they are so big. My thighs are so massive that my giant hand lays flat against the side and won't wrap around.

By all medical standards, I am morbidly obese. However, looking at me, you'd never guess.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 02:34:37 AM »

I do not get the title reference but you have my encouragement none the less. Taking care of your body is the best gift you can give yourself.

Good luck.

My guess is that the title references the weight he wants to be at.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 11:41:45 AM »

Just a point of information: There is no direct correlation between weight and height, my friend. There are a number of other factors involved, not the least of which are muscle density, skeletal size, and bone density.

Oh, yes, this is definitely true - I've never looked as heavy as I am, although I don't think I'm as densely built as yourself.

At 250 I looked overweight, but not 'obese', which my BMI (adjusted for my build) would say I was.

I'm now down to 238 or so, which is a stone lost since I started. The weekend was a bit of a loss as I pulled a muscle in my chest and couldn't really work out, but I'll be renewing my efforts this week with an aim of dropping to 230 or so by the middle of October.

Little goals seem to help, as a four month regimen with a near-50 pound target can seem like a long way to go, even though I've been doing well overall...

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

dhenwood
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 28

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 04:19:10 PM »

Im about 116 kilos atm so 255ibs and although Iv never been stronger due to seriosu weight lifting Iv let my diet go really sloppy, I was much better at 210ibs just not as strong. I need to get disciplined enough to bulk without just eating loads of crap. So yeah I know where your coming from dude just stick at it Smiley

( :::::::::::::::::::::::[}o[i i i i i i i][ i i i i i i i]o{}::::::::::::::::::::: )
                                       Phantom LE AS

/l-----¬
()={i i][llll][  o{ii[}}] | ::::::::::::::::::::::::::: )
                               \l
     Scorpion BR

Da

Crescent King
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 13

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 05:06:16 PM »

Good luck with the weight loss. As someone who has always weighed under 200 pounds I don't know the emotional stress of being overweight, but I know that taking care of your body is hard work. I only have one piece of advice and that's stick with it and power through the pain unless it's very serious.

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 03:29:57 PM »

So, as of 30th September I was 238 pounds.

7th October - 235 pounds

14th October - 233 pounds

21st October - 231 pounds

With a bit of luck, I'll make it to 3 pounds lost this week. I'm at 2 pounds so far, so we'll see how we go. Just about on target so far, and at the half-way point. We've had to cut back on exercising as my wife simply doesn't have time, but we'll keep working at it. If I end up having to extend my diet past Christmas, then so be it. Christmas and all that goes with it may push my weight back up a bit...  Cheesy

dhenwood
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 28

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 10:22:33 PM »

Well done James, how you feeling strength and fitness wise?

( :::::::::::::::::::::::[}o[i i i i i i i][ i i i i i i i]o{}::::::::::::::::::::: )
                                       Phantom LE AS

/l-----¬
()={i i][llll][  o{ii[}}] | ::::::::::::::::::::::::::: )
                               \l
     Scorpion BR

Da

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 12:50:25 PM »

Thanks!

I'm feeling good - more toned, and especially noticing the difference in my arms.

I still have a way to go, and the last 10 days or so I've been holding steady as the time to exercise hasn't been there. I need to refocus my effort, starting with exercising tonight. I may come up a few pounds short for the first target, but I'm doing about as well as I could have hoped.

My main problem is that right now it's difficult to find clothes to fit. I don't want to have to get a new wardrobe just for the next 2-3 months, but if I lose much more weight I'm going to have to punch several more holes in my belt - that or buy some braces I guess... Cheesy

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 10:52:54 PM »

28th Oct - 230 pounds

4th Nov - 228 pounds

6th Nov - 225 pounds

I've had a stomach bug since Monday, which has meant no exercise, but has also meant I can't face eating anything. After a couple of slower weeks I'm actually getting back on track Roll Eyes

Nearly down to the point where I can say '15 stones and XX pounds' which is a small target I've set myself - the end is within sight. Some way off in the distance, but when I get to the point where I can say 15 etc. then the target becomes more tangible.

Lord Krankenhaus
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 29

Light Side, Dark Side, you decide my fate.

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 01:34:59 AM »

Hey, doing great bud!
Word of advice, don't push yourself too hard too fast. Take it at a pace you're comfortable with, and you'll get there alright.

May the Force be with you, unless you plan to use it against me.
Phantasm V3 BR/BR
2 Aeon V3 GB/VA
Liberator V3 CG
Prophecy V3 GB
Initiate V3 FO
Phantasm Initiate V2 LE SY/SY
Bellicose SRD or DVA
Custom CG saber, "Clementine", Consular emitter/pommel, Dark Shock Body

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 01:52:36 PM »

Thanks, LK. I'm trying to keep it realistic - although I'm on my fourth day now of my stomach twisting every time I think about virtually any food, so this week looks set to be a big one Cheesy Oddly, about the only thing I can face eating is... chocolate. Not heavy, not acidic, and I've never been able to eat too much of it at a time anyway. It's been an odd week, food wise)

But the last time I dieted I lost weight much more quickly and didn't develop the discipline to keep it off - it was very much a means to an end, without any thought to what happened afterwards, hence the weight creeping back on. I know now (and should have known then, but I've never been a great one for thinking ahead) that this has to be a conscious ongoing choice to avoid too much unhealthy food.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 02:15:25 PM »

Target 206 reference?

MicroRNA-206 is involved in hypoxia-induced pulmonary hypertension through targeting of the HIF-1α/Fhl-1 pathway?

Smiley

Hey, as a long time member of the battle of the bulge due to age (48), slowing down from a high energy routine life, and diet (as well as a medical issue that has been resolved) I can offer what is an elephant in the room regarding diet and weight loss...it will not last unless the diet change is permanent and manageable.

Using a critical impact diet to create a weight loss curve towards a target zone if great but without a follow up diet that meets your long term, as in forever, food goals then you will suffer rebound as millions have done over and over.

This is not to be disheartening, the opposite.  Once you approach your target weight then you need to deal with portion size, allowances (bread, treat bread as a topping or seasoning rather than it's own category on the plate...open face sandwich instead of two slices, fold it...save those carbs for a meal that has meaningful value such as flavor and not carb stacking, like a grilled cheese or a ruben once in a while, a piece of toast and not three).

Once you have established a measured method then the carb addiction can be managed...this will be key to keeping the weight off rather than just holding back the monster that waits for you to quit dieting and release it again.

Best of success and health to you in your efforts!

Grin

PS
After my surgery to repair a section of my stomach, my health is 100% and weight loss is currently 70lbs and continuing towards my target goal of 185-190...I do not miss the carbs, because I still have them...a bite or two rather than a full serving...makes a huge difference.

Light side points please Smiley

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 11:29:12 PM »

Well, I may have broken my scales as it's been bouncing around all over the place this week. I've currently at about 221 or 222 pounds, which is about 15 pounds off my target. We've about 4 weeks left as I'll finish my diet on the 22nd December, so I suspect I won't hit my target exactly, but in that time I'm hoping to make it to about 210 or thereabout - not bad.

After my bout of sickness I've been having trouble finding the motivation of getting back into exercising. In truth, even two weeks later, I'm only just getting completely back to normal. Anything acidic - diet coke, lemonade, orange juice - was untouchable for over a week, and even apples gave me pause for thought. Still, if I want this weight gone then I am going to have to get back into the habit of exercising.

However, last night I put on a pair of jeans I bought maybe 3 years ago when I was last losing weight, and they fit me. My wedding ring, which I had downsized when I last lost weight, is staring to get loose on my finger. There's definite progress. I'm also - vanity alert - liking the way I look in the mirror that bit more nowadays Wink

Relmeob, I can't claim to know anything at all about MicroRNA so that's not it. My wife has a degree in microbiology so she'd probably understand what you're talking about though... Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: