Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17   Go Down
Author Topic: What Lightsaber Form Do You Favor?  (Read 102791 times)
Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2012, 09:27:43 PM »

I need to not be fat so I can streamline my form and show you guys.

M.J. is doing Ballet and getting fit, so in turn she's moving much faster when we duel.

That sounds awesome, her getting faster will motivate you to get faster!  Competition is a good thing Smiley

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #136 on: March 01, 2012, 09:31:21 PM »

That sounds awesome, her getting faster will motivate you to get faster!  Competition is a good thing Smiley

I kind of wish I had signed up with her.

Although Tap is an interesting Idea; it will definitely help my stamina.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Ravenloft
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2012, 11:45:11 PM »

Very interesting.  I know what you're saying with that technique - unprotected dueling definitely takes away from potential actions.  I actually enjoy using styles like Ataru and Djem So, but tend to forego those in sparring as their aggressive nature can be dangerous to a fellow combatant.  It's rather lucky I suppose that Artorius and I tend to utilize Soresu and Makashi respectively as our default Forms... we don't have to have that fear of hurting each other while we spar.  Still, we try to be careful!

Yeah I can be somewhat aggressive but I do not go full boar most of the time out of both respect for my opponent and so I don't unwittingly strain my shoulder. But, I am capable of going fairly fast on my own when there is no risk of hurting someone accidentally. Those are some nice styles as well and I can see why you like them, I favour Juyu/Vapaad because I need speed and agility to overcome the size difference between me and most people. I usually get yoda jokes because of how short I am compared to most people I know.

I need to not be fat so I can streamline my form and show you guys.

M.J. is doing Ballet and getting fit, so in turn she's moving much faster when we duel.

Weight isn't always a bad thing, it can make you like a rock of stability in some regards. Play to your strengths I say, and sometimes weight means little some people are incredibly fast despite size.

That's awesome she is doing ballet, it is very good for in creasing agility, also gymnastics is very helpful too. While I cannot do back flips, I do have some experience in it and it is very beneficial to increasing your
speed. I also HIGHLY recommend doing vertical pushups (making sure you have someone to hold your legs while you do them) for increasing stamina; I tend to attach weights to my hips and it helps very nicely.
However, remember to start with mats under you till you get used to it to avoid injury.

Another nice thing to is more of a Sith technique but you fake a side ways cut then let your opponent take your lightsaber down then bring it up underneath and take the arms. I know it's a little underhanded
but it can end a difficult duel real quick. The upside to Juyu/Vapaad is Sith need not worry about taking from the pool of emotions.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2012, 04:33:15 AM »

Weight isn't always a bad thing, it can make you like a rock of stability in some regards. Play to your strengths I say, and sometimes weight means little some people are incredibly fast despite size.

That's awesome she is doing ballet, it is very good for in creasing agility, also gymnastics is very helpful too. While I cannot do back flips, I do have some experience in it and it is very beneficial to increasing your
speed. I also HIGHLY recommend doing vertical pushups (making sure you have someone to hold your legs while you do them) for increasing stamina; I tend to attach weights to my hips and it helps very nicely.
However, remember to start with mats under you till you get used to it to avoid injury.

Another nice thing to is more of a Sith technique but you fake a side ways cut then let your opponent take your lightsaber down then bring it up underneath and take the arms. I know it's a little underhanded
but it can end a difficult duel real quick. The upside to Juyu/Vapaad is Sith need not worry about taking from the pool of emotions.

Technically i'm "Over weight", I'm just out of shape. lol

Even if it is underhanded isn't it a Jedi's goal to end the duel quickly? Grin

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2012, 04:44:03 AM »

Ballet... hmmm.... I know a girl who does ballet and it has helped her in martial arts and tennis alike. It is also seemingly very calming.

Anyways.... what form do I favor? Soresu, no doubt. All about defending until the other person gets worn out and makes a mistake, then landing  an annoyingly easy blow Wink At least that's how it is if I'm duelling someone my level or under - against someone like my good friend SOTJ, it's basically just seeing how long I can last before getting the living snot beaten out of me.

no

Darth Ravenloft
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2012, 04:48:13 AM »

Technically i'm "Over weight", I'm just out of shape. lol

Even if it is underhanded isn't it a Jedi's goal to end the duel quickly? Grin

LOL Indeed, but I would take the head off 9/10, or I would take the arms THEN the head. So I tend to go over kill with a saber Tongue, I would be turning people into beef cutlets.

It's funny, in reality I prefer non lethal means of defense, and things that don't do permanent injury (though temporary or minor damage I can somewhat deal with), but when it
comes to lightsabers I tend to get very, very evil. Cheesy

Juyu/Vapaad really is my kind of style because it's a real Do or Die method in some regards.

Xanedan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 49

Photography Geek

« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2012, 05:13:50 AM »

While reviewing a few videos, I've noticed that I get most of my hits off a parry with a quick downward strike to the mid section - this usually happens when my opponent attempts an overhand strike.  Almost all of them, really.  I do like to switch it up to an underhanded grip (and really can't wait to have my initiate blades and dual wield like this) with quick rolling strikes, though.  I'm short-ish ( 5'8 ) and a slight 145lb, but have rather strong arms due to a tendency to do push ups and pull ups all night at work, this lends really well to being nimble and evasive, but striking quick and hard.

I'd say I switch between Soresu and Ataru though nowhere near mastery of either.  Needs moar practice.

Initiate V2 - SY, Dark Initiate V2 - DVA
Initiate V3 - SY, Dark Initiate V3 - DVA
SS Raven, Dark War Consular, Dark Prophecy V3

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2012, 06:05:31 AM »

LOL Indeed, but I would take the head off 9/10, or I would take the arms THEN the head. So I tend to go over kill with a saber Tongue, I would be turning people into beef cutlets.

It's funny, in reality I prefer non lethal means of defense, and things that don't do permanent injury (though temporary or minor damage I can somewhat deal with), but when it
comes to lightsabers I tend to get very, very evil. Cheesy

Juyu/Vapaad really is my kind of style because it's a real Do or Die method in some regards.

Yup, same here.... it's all or nothing kind of style

Darth Ravenloft
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2012, 08:32:32 AM »

Yup, same here.... it's all or nothing kind of style

Yeah, there is a whole pool of emotions there which can really effectively increase your strike, agility and targeting potential. Which plays into my strengths, though I may do a little more work on the other styles just so I have a better base knowledge of them all.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #144 on: March 02, 2012, 03:51:04 PM »

Yeah, there is a whole pool of emotions there which can really effectively increase your strike, agility and targeting potential. Which plays into my strengths, though I may do a little more work on the other styles just so I have a better base knowledge of them all.

If you can tap into those emotions safely and effectively, more power to you.  I've never been able to use my anger and passion to any effect (especially not in fencing), so Juyo/Vaapad have never really presented an option for me.  All it does is throw my technique off and destroy my game.

Artorius manages to do it quite well though, which is why he can use Vaapad so efficiently.

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2012, 03:55:07 PM »

I can use emotions to my advantage quite effectively in tennis. While I am very much a confidence player (meaning that I normally have to be playing well to be confident and confident to be playing well etc.), if I'm angered, I can take things up a notch. However, I never use anger in dueling.

no

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« Reply #146 on: March 02, 2012, 08:14:45 PM »

If you can tap into those emotions safely and effectively, more power to you.  I've never been able to use my anger and passion to any effect (especially not in fencing), so Juyo/Vaapad have never really presented an option for me.  All it does is throw my technique off and destroy my game.

Artorius manages to do it quite well though, which is why he can use Vaapad so efficiently.

I have anger issues... anyone who duels me or sees me on a daily basis would never know this, because I use Juyo. I take all that anger and channel it into my form, but my anger doesn't control my actions. It is transformed into speed energy and strength. So I'm not angry when I fight, but I channel that anger through my attacks. It works wonders for me... but there is a reason few Jedi used Juyo, it isn't easy

Darth Ravenloft
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #147 on: March 02, 2012, 09:46:48 PM »

I more tap into the proverbial "madness" than any clear emotion. I tend to laugh and throw out occasional fakes to throw my opponent off guard. I like getting inside someone's head in any kind of duel or defensive situation. Once you do that you pretty much have won. It's not always possible to do that but I find it an effective strategy. However, I do not encourage the use of emotions when teaching Martial Arts, or Kendo/Iaido, because in the hands of an experienced student they can wind up getting seriously injured in any form of actual confrontation they can't simply get away from. In fact, when teaching I teach no emotion and to remain calm. In many forms of sword play, I tend to mimic my opponent's stances, mannerisms, and what have you; not as an insult, or to be rude, but it helps me learn their movements and get a read on possible attacks or defenses they may have.

When it comes to dueling however, much like a few others who have posted, I tend to use Juyu/Vapaad, because it DOES play into my more aggressive and emotion driven leanings I would otherwise suppress. That, however, much like Lucien has stated himself does not control my actions but more fuels them. I can completely understand how not everyone can utilize this form and it can really mess up someone's "game" it is a fairly difficult thing for people to keep their emotions from going out of control and is why I see the reason for existence for the other Forms other than preference. They all play to an user's strengths.

I've tried many of the other forms, and to be fair, I've probably incorporated bits and pieces from them into my own personal style. But, both as a personal philosophy and one in sword play (even saber dueling) I tend to try not to limit myself. That ISN'T to say anyone who picks one style over another is limiting themselves of course, just fighting purely on instinct rather than relying only on disciplines is just how I've developed. I've come from a school of thought that takes what works and use it. LOL Sorry for the ramblings, I tend to do that when I get on a train of thought.

Well I guess knowledge is power and all that. Cheesy

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2012, 12:06:43 AM »

I have anger issues... anyone who duels me or sees me on a daily basis would never know this, because I use Juyo. I take all that anger and channel it into my form, but my anger doesn't control my actions. It is transformed into speed energy and strength. So I'm not angry when I fight, but I channel that anger through my attacks. It works wonders for me... but there is a reason few Jedi used Juyo, it isn't easy

That's precisely what I'm talking about when I refer to people who use Juyo effectively.  If you have anger issues, and can use those feelings as fuel (while preventing them from controlling you) it can be incredibly effective.  That's the whole idea behind Vaapad - using the strength of the emotions while avoiding the temptation to give into them outright.

When it comes down to it that's the inherent difference in philosophies between Vaapad and Juyo, the former being a Jedi form and the latter being a typical Sith form.  Vaapad allows for a lethal but controlled offense, while Juyo truly permits the user to cut loose.  It makes sense when you think about the fact that Sith (or any darksiders) care little about restraint in battle - maiming or killing their opponent is certainly not frowned upon.

Like I said, as far as fencing goes I've always found it difficult to employ my anger in a constructive way.  The fine control required for point control just doesn't mesh well with it.  That said, I don't think it's impossible... I just don't know too many people who have managed to pull it off.  Most of the high level competitive fencers you see are really pretty laid back guys, and I don't think that happens by accident.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 12:11:48 AM by Master Nero Attoru » Logged

Darth Ravenloft
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2012, 12:26:42 AM »

That's precisely what I'm talking about when I refer to people who use Juyo effectively.  If you have anger issues, and can use those feelings as fuel (while preventing them from controlling you) it can be incredibly effective.  That's the whole idea behind Vaapad - using the strength of the emotions while avoiding the temptation to give into them outright.

When it comes down to it that's the inherent difference in philosophies between Vaapad and Juyo, the former being a Jedi form and the latter being a typical Sith form.  Vaapad allows for a lethal but controlled offense, while Juyo truly permits the user to cut loose.  It makes sense when you think about the fact that Sith (or any darksiders) care little about restraint in battle - maiming or killing their opponent is certainly not frowned upon.

Like I said, as far as fencing goes I've always found it difficult to employ my anger in a constructive way.  The fine control required for point control just doesn't mesh well with it.  That said, I don't think it's impossible... I just don't know too many people who have managed to pull it off.  Most of the high level competitive fencers you see are really pretty laid back guys, and I don't think that happens by accident.

I get what you're saying, and that is so very true. It IS truly a difficult feat to separate the focusing of emotions from uncontrolled aggression. I keep my true fencing mindset and my saber dueling mindset very much apart though. When it comes to dueling I give into the raw surge of emotions and aggression, however, with actual fencing I am not ruthless or frankly malicious. That's why I love saber dueling, it allows me to portray myself and my skills in the darker tendencies I always loved playing from the games. Allowing me to be that Sith in which I put forth in a practical and cathartic activity, plus it's just good fun with someone else who is in to the whole battle of wits and strategy. Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: