Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: A Red lightsaber...cutting through Blue and Green.  (Read 6752 times)
hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« on: June 28, 2015, 02:32:25 AM »

My wife bought a book breaking down every aspect of how Vaders mechanical/physical body was built after Anakin's fall.  It was for the kids, but I read through it first.  A lot of detail in there, then I came across this page...

Uhhhh...cut through a green or blue lightsaber blade?  Mind blown!  Ok, you'll have to forgive me as I am not well read with the EU novels and I had never heard of this before.  I had read that a red synth-crystal blade had more power behind it's strike but the natural crystal blades were quicker and more easily maneuverable...not this other jazz!

*On a side note, look at how exact Vader's emitter is to his first ever lightsaber.  I never noticed that before until this picture.*

So I took to the web(it knows stuff) and hit up Wookieepedia and found out more that was new to me...this is an excerpt:

"A standard synthetic crystal was created through the successful replication of the geological structure of natural crystals. Standard crystals set the baseline for synthetic crystals in general; they generated a more powerful lightsaber blade than natural crystals, and often demonstrated a red coloration, though that was easily controlled.[3] In fact, synth-crystal blades were so powerful that they had the rare potential to "break the blade" of standard lightsabers by overloading the energy matrix and instantly burning out the other lightsaber. Though this happened extremely rarely, it was a known and frightening possibility in combat.[5]

However, synth-crystal generated lightsaber blades were in general less maneuverable than the blades generated by natural crystals, and were generally more unstable.[5]"

^ There's the part of a red blade harder to handle as I had read before.  But then I found out this...another excerpt:

"Conversely, the Jedi frowned on the creation and use of synth-crystals among their initiates, associating this with taking the quick and easy path, as they believed they should rely on crystals found naturally.[3] However, sometimes Jedi were forced to create synth-crystals when a weapon was needed and no naturally occurring crystals were accessible. Notable examples include Luke Skywalker, who used a synth-crystal for his first lightsaber, because he had no knowledge of the natural crystals at that point, and his niece Jaina Solo. Synth-crystals made by the Jedi usually had colors other than red, to avoid similarities with the Sith. Skywalker created a green crystal, while Solo produced a violet one.[5]"

^ This makes sense to me, how after loosing Anakin's what choice did Luke have?  But it shows an interesting knowledge of the Force that I don't see portrayed in the OT, but is obviously touched upon in later years as the EU grew.  And of course there's much more detail in Wookieepedia.

How incredible would it be to see this on screen?!  I am so curious as to what you think?  Is this new to you as it was to me?  Had you some knowledge of this before?  In what or where did you learn this "secret" Cheesy knowledge?

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 03:05:33 AM »

I remember being so intrigued by this when I first learned about it, I remember reading about it in some of the eu books. If I remember correctly initially a lot of the new sabers built in Luke's rebuilt Jedi order used synth crystals as well.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 06:40:00 AM »

"Cutting through a blue or green blade..."  That doesn't seem...possible.  The blade is a beam of plasma, not something that can really be "cut".  I think more likely it is something written to make kids go "ooohhh". I remember reading a children's book about Superman that was released sometime around the time Superman II came out, it stated Superman's powers came from his suit.  Many times the children's tie in books have things that do not make any sense.   Remember though, the EU is non canon now so all those explanations are out the window until they show up in official canon. 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 12:01:11 AM »

"Cutting through a blue or green blade..."  That doesn't seem...possible.  The blade is a beam of plasma, not something that can really be "cut".  I think more likely it is something written to make kids go "ooohhh". I remember reading a children's book about Superman that was released sometime around the time Superman II came out, it stated Superman's powers came from his suit.  Many times the children's tie in books have things that do not make any sense.   Remember though, the EU is non canon now so all those explanations are out the window until they show up in official canon. 

The way the description talks about it, I got the impression that it shorted out the other saber's energy matrix, almost like Cortosis does in some works.  Not quite "cutting through it", but the OP said it was a kid's book so they probably simplified the terminology.

I realize that's not the most scientific explanation, but keep in mind this is fantasy we're applying science to... sometimes you just gotta stretch you suspension of disbelief lol

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 12:19:35 AM »

I too figured it was shorting out the blade rather than cutting it.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 02:20:19 AM »

Regarding how Luke made his Lightsaber after losing his father's, I thinkI remember hearing that in-between Episodes 4 & 5, he went back to Tatooine and spent a long time there studying about The Force and Jedi Training from Obi-Wan's personal journals.

It's during this time he made the Lightsaber with instructions he found in the writings.

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 02:55:01 AM »

Regarding how Luke made his Lightsaber after losing his father's, I thinkI remember hearing that in-between Episodes 4 & 5, he went back to Tatooine and spent a long time there studying about The Force and Jedi Training from Obi-Wan's personal journals.

It's during this time he made the Lightsaber with instructions he found in the writings.

That was of course the EU explanation..we will see if it is contradicted by the new canon or not.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Lord Canterbury
Knight Commander

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 03:09:02 AM »

That was of course the EU explanation..we will see if it is contradicted by the new canon or not.

Yep - which I am fine with.

They may still borrow from it (and I think they kind of are for certain aspects of Episode VII) but not be slaves to it and constricted by it.

Best of both worlds.

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 02:58:21 AM »

This makes sense to me, how after loosing Anakin's what choice did Luke have?  But it shows an interesting knowledge of the Force that I don't see portrayed in the OT, but is obviously touched upon in later years as the EU grew.  And of course there's much more detail in Wookieepedia.

How incredible would it be to see this on screen?!  I am so curious as to what you think?  Is this new to you as it was to me?  Had you some knowledge of this before?  In what or where did you learn this "secret" Cheesy knowledge?

There's that deleted scene in ROTJ that was show at Celebration a couple years back...... Shows Luke finishing his lightsaber he constructed back on Tatooine.... How cool if this had been in ROTJ way back then  Smiley
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ayT0EZwbks" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ayT0EZwbks</a>

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Lord Canterbury
Knight Commander

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 03:31:38 AM »

There's that deleted scene in ROTJ that was show at Celebration a couple years back...... Shows Luke finishing his lightsaber he constructed back on Tatooine.... How cool if this had been in ROTJ way back then  Smiley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ayT0EZwbks

How on Tatooine did I never hear about that?!

Cool scene - thanks for posting that!

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 04:36:31 PM »

I think I've seen stills from the cave but nothing else. +1 JediXIX.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Dr_R_Eaper
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 10

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 09:41:32 PM »

That's the first time I've seen such a clear picture of his first lightsaber, didn't realise how much it resemble Vaders.  Finally get the design of the prophecy now,  I always thought it was a cheaper alternative to the Chosen One.

Admittedly my knowledge of the EU is mostly from ...pedias. Didn't the red saber "cutting" through other sabers thing have something to do with the sith user of the Lightsaber channelling the dark side through it to super charge or something?

Also if your reading Marvel's New Star Wars comic they seem to be going in a similar path, with Luke heading back to Tatooine to retrieve Ben's Journal.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2770

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 03:01:42 PM »

1) I was under the impression that the Prophecy was based on Anakin's first saber design, which if studied looks an awful lot like Vader's. Luke's first (the green one) bears a stronger resemblence to Obi-Wan's. Same type of emitter, same type of pommel, same type of activation box. But I also grant that there are other parts of the story that I haven't been exposed to yet.

2) This phenom of synth blades breaking natural blades is also referenced in the Book of the Sith. If I'm not mistaken Adegan crystals, though rare, are supposed to be the most powerful of the natural crystals. I'm not sure how they stack against a good synth crystal. Standard kyber crystals (I think Undecided) from Illum are not as strong, but plentiful. I've heard it said that the reason for synth crystals' strength comes from the infusion of the maker's will. And although I've never understood the concept, but it also strengthens the Force connection between wielder and crystal. I have however never heard any hint that synth crystal blades are harder to handle. Unless it draws on a similar mythology to the wands from Harry Potter, in which "the wand chooses the wizard." A synth crystal might have an unintentional anti-theft feature of not cooperating with a wielder that is not its creator.  Shocked That would be cool.

3) Although I completely forgot what I read about the nature of "compressed" crystals, "unstable" crystals are said to be very destructive. I've theorized that this would be due to the roughly defined shape of the blade, offering a wider path of devastation.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: