Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3448 3449 [3450] 3451 3452 ... 3562   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Thoughts of Members (anything goes...well with in forum rules)  (Read 4898053 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #51735 on: January 07, 2020, 07:47:52 PM »

Again, thats why I said its more my subjective "how much I like them" vs objective quality. Ive always been pretty open on my opinions of TLJ. Its not my favorite, and certainly has flaws, but I personally enjoy the story thats told, especially Luke's arc since I like more humanized aspects to heroes. I also think it has the best visuals of the franchise. Ultimately there are some dislikes I have with it which is why its about center of my list; I didnt like Hux or Phasma's treatment, and Canto Bight was really dumb, but I didnt hate it. Perfectly average SW movie for me.
But Luke wasn't the hero. Rey is and always has been the heroine of the sequels, and although TROS helped to flesh her out better than the preceding films, she still was a super-powered Mary-Sue. Anakin was the frikkin Chosen One, trained extensively in the Jedi Temple under Masters that had been practicing for decades (or centuries in a few cases Wink) and he was nowhere near that powerful at any stage of his arc.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #51736 on: January 07, 2020, 08:04:50 PM »

But Luke wasn't the hero. Rey is and always has been the heroine of the sequels, and although TROS helped to flesh her out better than the preceding films, she still was a super-powered Mary-Sue. Anakin was the frikkin Chosen One, trained extensively in the Jedi Temple under Masters that had been practicing for decades (or centuries in a few cases Wink) and he was nowhere near that powerful at any stage of his arc.

There's also the shenanigans occurring with her Force Dyad though which allowed both her and Ren to feed off each other's force attunement. May not be a perfect explanation for some, but I dont quite consider her a Mary Sue.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #51737 on: January 07, 2020, 08:30:25 PM »

There's also the shenanigans occurring with her Force Dyad though which allowed both her and Ren to feed off each other's force attunement. May not be a perfect explanation for some, but I dont quite consider her a Mary Sue.
God that was horrible. "We don't have time/patience to develop a believable character so this is how we're going to phone it in."

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 181

« Reply #51738 on: January 07, 2020, 11:49:25 PM »

SERIOUSLY?!? You thought ROTS had worse dialog than ATC? I swore if one more motha#$%&er said "m'lady" in ATC, I was going to shoot Lucas. Plus ROTS gave us the best saber duels to ever be filmed.
Yes, I could go scene by scene if needed, but that would be a waist of my time and I would need to watch it again.  It may be less about the dialog that it is the acting (I think Hadyen Christensen got WORSE at acting and delivering lines by that 3rd one) but there are a lot of lines that just make me cringe.  Heck, even Sam Jackson seems to be phoning it in throughout most of the movie.  The only ones seeming to give any effort at all are McGregor and McDiarmid, and even then there are some questionable moments.  Yo may not like the story in TLJ but at least the dialog tight (for the most part) and the acting is believable (even if you don't agree with the character's intent). 

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 181

« Reply #51739 on: January 08, 2020, 12:08:39 AM »

But was Anakin the chosen one?  The jedi (mainly Qui Gon) assumed he was, but even Yoda had his doubts.  He literally said the prophecy could have been miss read.  I fact, I doubt Anakin was ever meant to the be chosen one consider he was created by Palpatine by manipulating the midichlorians for nefarious intentions.  They just assumed he was the chosen one because he had such a high midichlorian count.  Now, think about Rey.  She was a direct descendent of Palpatine who was arguably the strongest Sith ever.  If midichlorians and the force are inherited then surely she was already strong with the force and just didn't know it.  Remember, she was basically a loner on Jakku.  It is hard to know if you are good or strong at something if a) you don't exactly what you are supposed to be strong in (yes, she apparently knew about the force, but not too many details) b) never get a chance to used said skills (probably not much opportunity to use the force) c) don't have anyone to compare your skills to (probably not too many enemies or the force uses on Jakku.  Once she figured out she had this skill she began to explore it further and it began to grow exponentially as it should for someone who had this much potential and determination.  I don't consider her a "Mary Sue" I just don't think her character arc was fleshed out very well at the beginning and left a lot of questions to wrap up quickly. 

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #51740 on: January 08, 2020, 12:32:14 PM »

Happy Hump Day

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #51741 on: January 08, 2020, 06:57:10 PM »

But was Anakin the chosen one?  The jedi (mainly Qui Gon) assumed he was, but even Yoda had his doubts.  He literally said the prophecy could have been miss read.
Misread, as in how to define balance. The sanctimonious Jedi of course believing that "balance" is everything in the light; everything good. This is not balance within the natural realm. Take Ryloth for example. Its north pole points toward its sun, leaving the northern hemisphere completely in the light, and burnt to a dead crisp. On the flip, the south is shrouded in perpetual darkness, and dead from the other extreme. The only habitable area is around the equator; where the Brightlands are cool enough, and the Nightlands are warm enough to sustain life. Anakin's choices led to the downfall, but not the extinction, of the Jedi.

In fact, I doubt Anakin was ever meant to the be chosen one consider he was created by Palpatine by manipulating the midichlorians for nefarious intentions.  They just assumed he was the chosen one because he had such a high midichlorian count. 
I might need to reread Darth Plagueis, because although I recall the "experiment" that shook the Force, I don't recall it ever being directed at creating a specific life in a specific place. I viewed Anakin as merely a side effect. Although his power was derived from being directly sired by midichlorians, I also believe it was an insurance to guarantee his survival. I stand behind the idea that after Bane fulfilled the prophecy of the Sith'ari, the sudden imbalance shifted the Force to the light. This imbalance remained for a thousand years, until finally the Force allowed the Dark side to push back, in order to bring itself back into balance. The problem with this is that the Dark Side remained in power through military might, leading to another prolonged imbalance.

Now, think about Rey.  She was a direct descendent [SPOILERS, DUDE].  If midichlorians and the force are inherited then surely she was already strong with the force and just didn't know it.  Remember, she was basically a loner on Jakku.  It is hard to know if you are good or strong at something if a) you don't exactly what you are supposed to be strong in (yes, she apparently knew about the force, but not too many details) b) never get a chance to used said skills (probably not much opportunity to use the force) c) don't have anyone to compare your skills to (probably not too many enemies or the force uses on Jakku.  Once she figured out she had this skill she began to explore it further and it began to grow exponentially as it should for someone who had this much potential and determination.  I don't consider her a "Mary Sue" I just don't think her character arc was fleshed out very well at the beginning and left a lot of questions to wrap up quickly. 
Strength in the Force is not an immediate guarantee of skill. Said [SPOILER] ancestor was also born powerful, but wasn't made aware of for some time due to the fact that they were an oddity within their family; non-sensitive parents and siblings. In fact, Force sensitivity is NOT determined by parentage. If it were, then how did the Jedi replenish their ranks, when they didn't reproduce? TCW already made it clear that the Force shows up in whoever it wants. {There are plenty of other examples, canon and Legends, of sensitives being born of non-sensitive parents.) Ezra Bridger had non-sensitive parents, but his ability had started to manifest before the opening of SWR. Only through training with Kanan did his true potential start to come out. Considering other SPOILER events due her emotional nature, Rey should have easily manifested abilities in her youth, IF she was indeed as powerful as she was supposed to be. She carries a staff for protection, so obviously she is used to feeling insecure about her safety. That scene in TFA where the goons grab her and try to snatch BB-8 should have ended with her unleashing a Force repulse, or any variety of defensive ability, or even offensive. Essentially she should have already been aware that she had this ability, just not how diverse in application it was. Think of it like weight lifting: just because you are strong enough to lift 400lbs, doesn't mean you are instantly able to lift it over your head. That takes training and practice. And even those that can do that fail from time to time. Rey never failed when it came to her use of the Force. If her power and ability had grown steadily over the course of say 20 years, it would be far more believable than "I just learned about the Force 18mo ago, and now I'm more powerful than any of my masters." The only logical conclusion is that the Mouse-minions don't understand the Force, and are only concerned with selling OOHs and AHs.

For me, the best parallel is a swinging pendulum. When Bane reduced the Sith, and held the imbalance of 2 Sith to tens of thousands of Jedi for a millennium, it was like lifting the weight higher and higher (in physics this is known as potential energy). When Order 66 was given the pendulum was released. During the Great Purge, the pendulum swung to the bottom, but since the Sith were backed by a supreme military force, they stayed in power after the Force was balanced. This is upswing. THEN, the Rebels fought the Empire and the Skywalker kids grew up. This was the swing back from the Dark Side, and thing got good again. Then things went back to $#!% with the First Order, then things swung back toward peace. You see where I'm going with this? IMO the story of "balance" is not over yet; not until the pendulum stops swinging (runs out of kinetic energy).

Yes, I could go scene by scene if needed, but that would be a waist of my time and I would need to watch it again.  It may be less about the dialog that it is the acting (I think Hadyen Christensen got WORSE at acting and delivering lines by that 3rd one) but there are a lot of lines that just make me cringe.  Heck, even Sam Jackson seems to be phoning it in throughout most of the movie.  The only ones seeming to give any effort at all are McGregor and McDiarmid, and even then there are some questionable moments.  Yo may not like the story in TLJ but at least the dialog tight (for the most part) and the acting is believable (even if you don't agree with the character's intent). 
As I learned long ago from (I believe) the Nostalgia Critic: a good actor cannot trump a bad director. Lucas is a great writer, but a horrible director. I used to think as you do. If you really want to know Hayden's acting ability, pay attention to the scenes where Anakin has no spoken lines. My particular favorite is after he slaughtered the Separatist Council. I was thoroughly convinced that this was a man in pain.

That said, all the prequels had their stinker moments and ideas. Just don't say anything negative about podracing, or Ima hurt you bad.

Sig by For Tyeth

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #51742 on: January 09, 2020, 10:50:06 AM »

just got the truck back from a costly repair. the catalytic converter got plugged and had to replace it.. having a boss that don't care if you lose an arm, long as you're back to work the next day....he's going to gripe.

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #51743 on: January 09, 2020, 11:28:40 AM »

So sorry to hear about that bB. Catalytic converters are needed in a car and are costly to replace since they typically have to be cut out and welded back on.  Bosses can make or break a good team in a company, I've been through it and I'm real lucky to have a good one now but it took a while to find one after the military.  I hope your day gets better

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #51744 on: January 09, 2020, 01:16:57 PM »

Bosses can make or break a good team in a company

Seen some statistics for exiting employees say that 75% of the time it's due to the manager.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #51745 on: January 09, 2020, 02:18:33 PM »

Seen some statistics for exiting employees say that 75% of the time it's due to the manager.

Yup. Being a bad boss, lack of leadership, not intervening between two employees, lack of appreciate, no trust, little to no opportunity for growth and development, no advancement opportunities, etc. Every article I've read, a bad boss or the boss being the cause is normally number one or top three. I've left a job due to a bad boss or having a boss who lacks leadership.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #51746 on: January 09, 2020, 04:16:36 PM »

just got the truck back from a costly repair. the catalytic converter got plugged and had to replace it.. having a boss that don't care if you lose an arm, long as you're back to work the next day....he's going to gripe.

Man, that sucks, bigBear... unexpected auto-repair expenses just plain stink.  The normal planned maintenance is enough of a hit to the wallet (but still MUCH MUCH cheaper than not doing it), but these surprises really bite.  And then adding in the boss’s idiotic attitude?  Ugh.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #51747 on: January 13, 2020, 11:15:57 AM »

I feel you completely on the boss situation....I feel you.

Other note: I need to update my picture.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #51748 on: January 13, 2020, 01:28:26 PM »

Happy Monday!

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #51749 on: January 13, 2020, 01:43:42 PM »

Happy Monday!

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: 1 ... 3448 3449 [3450] 3451 3452 ... 3562   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: