Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Choice of batteries related questions (Kind of important)  (Read 2755 times)
Castle
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

« on: April 29, 2011, 04:28:01 PM »

Hey guys

I got my first US sabers a few months ago, and are awaitng another two on their way overseas to Norway right now. And that is why I need to ask these questions;
There have been quite a few posts regarding batteries across the forums here, but none of them have helped me fully. I'm a noob at batteries and picking the batteries best for my blades, though I visited a few stores the other day looking at different brands.

To my questions:

1)
On the backside of the batterypackages in the stores, there are some information such as different numbers and a term "mhn".. Ex. 800 mhn or 1500 mhn. What does this mean, and what should I pick?

2)
As I said, I know VERY little about batteries, all I have to go with is brandnames. I'm a picky/demanding guy who isn't happy until I have the best, so is there a particular brand / specification as mentioned above I should look for? Duracell? Alkaline? And what does "nihm" mean? nihm batteries?

The two blades I have currently are the Luke and Anakin hilts, and awaiting two prophecies in the mail. The Luke hilt is a birthdaygift to a friend, but it goes nuts; (soundcard goes mad and loops a power-on sound when certain types of batteries are in it, why?!) So which types of AAA batteries should the Luke hilt have?

Thanks a lot for any help!  :-)

Warlock Umbra
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -126

Dark Wizard of the Sith

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 04:37:24 PM »

Not sure I can help much, but mostly I've heard that NiHM (not sure what it stands for) batteries are the best to use. Also, get rechargeable ones so you're not spending a fortune on new batteries. Hope I could help at least a little bit!  Cool

"Malificent"--Dark Shock w/Sith sound__Blazing Red
"Carnage"--SS ed. RGB Raven
"Dominator"--Bane w/Obsidian__Pyrestone Orange/Dark Violet

Castle
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 04:39:12 PM »

Hmm yeh, I'm aiming at rechargeables. I assume I'll know if it's nihm batteries by some indication on the package.. Tongue

Warlock Umbra
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -126

Dark Wizard of the Sith

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 04:44:01 PM »

Yeah, it'll say on the package.  Cool

"Malificent"--Dark Shock w/Sith sound__Blazing Red
"Carnage"--SS ed. RGB Raven
"Dominator"--Bane w/Obsidian__Pyrestone Orange/Dark Violet

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 07:34:04 PM »

I'll make it easy for you. Get Sanyo Eneloops, if you can. These have been recommended to me and others, by Ultra himself.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Castle
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 07:41:49 PM »

I'll make it easy for you. Get Sanyo Eneloops, if you can. These have been recommended to me and others, by Ultra himself.

NICE!
I found a pair of those with a charger in the online store of a shop near my home. Looks perfect! Only found AA batteries from them though .... Hope they also have AAA Smiley

EDIT:
One last question ... What does the "mA" or "mhn" or whatever terms mean? Like 800 mA, 1500 mA, 2500 mA, etc? And should I go for low or high number digits? :p

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 07:54:49 PM »

NICE!
I found a pair of those with a charger in the online store of a shop near my home. Looks perfect! Only found AA batteries from them though .... Hope they also have AAA Smiley

EDIT:
One last question ... What does the "mA" or "mhn" or whatever terms mean? Like 800 mA, 1500 mA, 2500 mA, etc? And should I go for low or high number digits? :p

They do come in AAA Just search around, they shouldn't be too hard to find.

mAh=milliampere-hour. Simply put, it's a unit of electric charge.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Castle
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 07:58:46 PM »

Oh ok, good to know I guess Smiley

I feel like an unlimited well of questions right now.

Should I worry about mAh values (do they matter?), and should I look for 1.2volt batteries or 1.5? My anakin blade uses 1.5v Member's Mark alkaline batteries right now, and it's insanely much brighter than the green luke-blade. Putting the two next to eachother, the blue anakin overpowers the luke blade so bad the luke almost looks white. Not sure what kind of batteries the luke blade has right now.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:06:17 PM by Castle » Logged

Caiwyn
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 04:01:43 AM »

NiMH stands for Nickel-Metal Hydride.  It's the chemical makeup of the battery, and is the standard for modern rechargeables.  Early rechargeable batteries were Nickel-Cadmium, or NiCad.  They were common in the 1980s and early 1990s.

mAh stands for milliamp-hours.  It's the length of time the battery is supposed to last when fully charged.  The higher the number, the longer it ought to last.  It usually isn't listed on older NiMH batteries, but as the technology has improved, manufacturers have started labelling their products with these numbers to denote the improvement in battery life.

Caiwyn
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 04:11:16 AM »

I should also mention that what makes the Sanyo Eneloop batteries so special is that they are a new technology called Low Self-Discharge Nickel-Metal Hydride, or LSD NiMH.  They're similar to normal NiMH batteries but the difference is that they hold their charge longer.  Normal NiMH batteries lose their charge after 90 days, whether they're in use or not.  Eneloops should hold 85% of their charge for over a year.  So, better shelf life.

Note that all NiMH batteries are rechargeable.  Disposable batteries are alkaline.  There are rechargeable alkaline batteries but they don't seem to be very common.

Darth Ryuyee
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -57

The Bolas Brood Leader

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 01:04:59 PM »

Where can i find these sanyo eneloop batteries

Dark Prophecy- Blazing Red
Dark Liberator-Consular Green
Dark War Glaive W/Sound-Guardian Blue
PVC Prophecy-Guardian Blue (niece's)
Dark Standard Issue-Violet Amethyst

Ex Nihilus
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -25

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 08:00:17 AM »

Where can i find these sanyo eneloop batteries

If you check out their website, they have a few retailers listed. But, if you're like me, none of those retailers are close by. I found it easy to order them straight off of Amazon.

Liberator - Arctic Blue
[||___|___|o__|:|:|

Castle
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 07:39:54 PM »

Does it matter if I use 1.2volt instead of 1.5v? Smiley (Sorry for doublepost in my other topic, replied to the wrong topic hehe! Tongue)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: