Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Princess Carrie  (Read 583 times)
Cang Snow
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 42

« on: December 29, 2016, 12:44:12 AM »

Sabers of the world are lit up in solidarity following the tragic passing of Carrie Fisher, the real life woman behind Princess and later General Leia Organa. While there is much to be said about her career in film, her advocacy, and her savage wit, I wanted to hone in on just one thing that really made her royalty, not just in galaxies far, far away, but also our own.

Leia was an early role model for girls. She was sassy and independent, a rebel leader, and STILL yet a princess. So it's understandable that fans were made uncomfortable at having to see her subjugated in a gold bikini in Return of the Jedi. Fisher herself famously detested the outfit, and parents protested at the idea of the Slave Leia toy-- and that is its official name-- being out on store shelves.

There were calls to halt sale of the toy. Setting aside the discussion of whether that is right or wrong-- Fisher had a surprising response, when a vocal father asked, "What am I going to tell my kid about why she's in that outfit?"

Tell them that a giant slug captured me and forced me to wear that stupid outfit, and then I killed him because I didn't like it. And then I took it off.

Since then, many Leia fans have given the outfit and the toy a new name: Hutt-slayer Leia.

In life, Fisher wasn't very much like her on-screen avatar. But in that brief moment, Carrie the actress, the advocate, the screenwriter, was one and the same with Leia the princess, the fighter, and the rebel who strangled her captor with his own chain.

And that's why Carrie Fisher will always be royalty, in that galaxy, in this galaxy, and the next.

Snow

FBWY

Cang Snow
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 42

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 12:47:50 AM »

how do i delete this reply? Embarrassed

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 01:40:54 AM »

"Tell them that a giant slug captured me and forced me to wear that stupid outfit, and then I killed him because I didn't like it. And then I took it off."

I'd like to thank you for this post. I've always watched the scene as the strong Leia character was in subjugation, and thus, in peril as each of the characters were in their own way. I didn't watch the scene with lust, but with awareness of how much Leia hated it. I think it built a powerful scene, anxiety as the audience worries about the character and more cause for celebration when she strangles Jaba with the very chain he had put around her neck. To hear Carrie Fisher saw that aspect to the scene means something to me.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: