Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3341 3342 [3343] 3344 3345 ... 3562   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Thoughts of Members (anything goes...well with in forum rules)  (Read 4915032 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #50130 on: April 29, 2019, 03:01:00 PM »

If you had no idea what the philosopher's stone was, maybe read the book? Radical concept I know!  Cheesy

For as often as people say "don't judge a book by its cover"...we inevitably do (funny enough) when it comes to books.  I can 100% guarantee people would have thought it was a book about a Philosopher and would have lead to poor sales.  But "Sorcerer's Stone" conveys the magical premise.  Its not like books and movies don't get their titles changed all over the world to draw in the local demographic.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #50131 on: April 29, 2019, 10:14:16 PM »

For as often as people say "don't judge a book by its cover"...we inevitably do (funny enough) when it comes to books.  I can 100% guarantee people would have thought it was a book about a Philosopher and would have lead to poor sales.  But "Sorcerer's Stone" conveys the magical premise.  Its not like books and movies don't get their titles changed all over the world to draw in the local demographic.
Except Philosophers Stone sold pretty well around the world (as far as I know). It makes sense to change a title when translating into another language, but if the country is speaking English it just seems strange to do so.

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #50132 on: April 29, 2019, 11:28:30 PM »

yes, GM learned the hard way back in the late 60's when trying to sell the Nova in Mexico. they discovered later that Nova translated to " no go"

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2789

Grey Assassin

« Reply #50133 on: April 30, 2019, 02:31:55 AM »

Yup, I read about that with GM and Mexico. This is why cars in different countries have different names

CruentoNox
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 464

We are what they grow beyond

« Reply #50134 on: April 30, 2019, 08:12:13 AM »

My main problem with translated titles is when they try to sell an american movie in french speaking countries and manage to change the english title into another english title....
Either you translate the title or you leave it as it is but changing it to let it remain in english makes no sense to me.

Harry Potter titles were tranlasted quite litterally from english to french and it sold very well. Then again, maybe people in Europe have heard about the Philosopher's Stone more than others.

Sabers Owned
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, SRD with AB FoC, windows and Green-Illuminated A/V Switch
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, AB with windows
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, SRD with windows
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, GB with AS FoC, windows and Non-Illuminated Silver A/V Switch
- Dominix V4, Stunt, BR with windows
- Bellicose, LITE sound, AS with AB FoC, Black blade holder, Bronze button, Long grooves pommel and White-Illuminated A/V Switch

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #50135 on: April 30, 2019, 12:45:02 PM »

Tell me about it. Guardians of the Galaxy is translated in Mandarin to 星際異攻隊 which means Interplanetary Unusual Attacking Team

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #50136 on: April 30, 2019, 05:47:21 AM »

my D&D group be like;

P1: DM, can I go through wall?

DM: Why do you want to go through wall?

P1: to get outside.

DM: but wall is closed.

P1: That is not what I asked.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2769

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #50137 on: April 30, 2019, 01:10:42 PM »

The American Publisher Originally wanted to change it to Harry Potter and the Magic School.... Sorcerer's Stone is at least better than that.
Let us pray and offer our thanks to the fates that this was not meant to be.

The worry was because they believed the word "Philosopher" would not convey the Magical aspect of the book.  Which it probably wouldn't have...unless you have delved into mythology and legends (like I have) you would have no idea what the Philosopher's Stone was.
But those in the know of magical lore would hear "philosopher's stone" and immediately think alchemy. I initially didn't pay any mind. After hearing Hermione read the characteristics I thought "she's describing a philosopher's stone." I considered that J.K. simply changed the name for her universe. Then I heard what the Brits know as the title of the first book, and got pissed. I've known what I philosopher's stone was since I was like 5.

My gripe is give the dumb Americans a chance to not be dumb. Now I'm wondering: how many Americans truly believe that the Sorcerer's Stone is the thing of legend that makes alchemy possible?

my D&D group be like;

P1: DM, can I go through wall?

DM: Why do you want to go through wall?

P1: to get outside.

DM: but wall is closed.

P1: That is not what I asked.
<P1 rephrases> Can I use a bomb to go through wall?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

CruentoNox
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 464

We are what they grow beyond

« Reply #50138 on: April 30, 2019, 01:22:05 PM »

Tell me about it. Guardians of the Galaxy is translated in Mandarin to 星際異攻隊 which means Interplanetary Unusual Attacking Team

Sounds terrible. Might explain why some american movies are not as big a hit in China as in other places (not just the cultural differences). I know Star Wars is in that case. Now I'm left wondering what they call it there: "Swords of Light"?, "Laser Guns in Space"?, "Midi-chlorians Unleashed"?, "Planets at War"? or maybe "Lame Western Space Fiction"?

Sabers Owned
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, SRD with AB FoC, windows and Green-Illuminated A/V Switch
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, AB with windows
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, SRD with windows
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, GB with AS FoC, windows and Non-Illuminated Silver A/V Switch
- Dominix V4, Stunt, BR with windows
- Bellicose, LITE sound, AS with AB FoC, Black blade holder, Bronze button, Long grooves pommel and White-Illuminated A/V Switch

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #50139 on: April 30, 2019, 02:06:52 PM »

Sounds terrible. Might explain why some american movies are not as big a hit in China as in other places (not just the cultural differences). I know Star Wars is in that case. Now I'm left wondering what they call it there: "Swords of Light"?, "Laser Guns in Space"?, "Midi-chlorians Unleashed"?, "Planets at War"? or maybe "Lame Western Space Fiction"?

A lot of English (US) words don't translate the same in other languages so when they're translating from English to a different language, the closest word is used instead. The American English language uses a lot of slang that other countries don't understand.  Take words like flabbergasted or mind-boggling for example.

These words don't exist in Asian languages nor do most nouns and verbs that describes sight, light and sounds like glisten, glare, gleam, rustle, etc.  The Chinese language doesn't have words like "logic" or "romance" in it but there are modern day phonetic tranlations now. The word "miss" doesn't exist in Japanese, instead of saying "I miss you" the translation is "I want to see you"

Another country doesn't have the word for "stuff" and instead uses the phrase "collection of things" when translating the word.

Portugese doesn't have a word for "bully" or "impeach" but uses the word "massa" for bread dough, cake mix, batter and pastry

Jedi isn't even a real word, it was created for the movie so imagine how "Return of the Jedi" would translate to other languages.  In Chinese, Return of the Jedi is 绝地大反攻 but translated to English as "Jedi Counterattack"

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #50140 on: April 30, 2019, 04:03:23 PM »

A lot of English (US) words don't translate the same in other languages so when they're translating from English to a different language,
That's strange, because proper English (as used by the Queen) translates perfectly well into other languages.🤔😏

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #50141 on: April 30, 2019, 04:25:52 PM »

That's strange, because proper English (as used by the Queen) translates perfectly well into other languages.🤔😏

That's why I said US English doesn't translate well, we use a lot of slang and then there are words that have no translation as I've mentioned previously.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #50142 on: April 30, 2019, 04:36:33 PM »

That's why I said US English doesn't translate well, we use a lot of slang and then there are words that have no translation as I've mentioned previously.
Maybe you guys should start speaking properly then!  Tongue

Also, just found this:

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #50143 on: April 30, 2019, 05:30:39 PM »

But I enjoy it when "real English" don't understand me.  I can just use slang to make fun of them... Wink

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #50144 on: April 30, 2019, 11:49:20 PM »

or I can just speak Cherokee that can't be translated and mess with everyone's minds. lol

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

Pages: 1 ... 3341 3342 [3343] 3344 3345 ... 3562   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: