Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: JOKER Trailer #1  (Read 1955 times)
Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2790

Grey Assassin

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 03:21:04 PM »

I'm very protective of the Alien franchise as I used to collect the Dark Horse comics that were published back in the 90s. I suppose it all boils down to how much ambiguity and mystery you like in your stories. Me, I like having some, especially with horror. What's imagined will always be more powerful that something shown to you on screen.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, although I agree that may parts of the script of the newer movies sucked.

I completely understand where you’re coming from, Knox.  I honestly thought The Matrix was good as a solo movie and thought the sequel was decent but the third installment sucked. The trilogy as a whole left a lot to be desired. And I agree that there are some stories left as mysteries. I do like to have closure on some stories and characters though but that’s just me.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 10:29:33 PM »

Interesting discussion. I am a bit on the fence, sometime villains work better with a back story, some times not - in the Jokers case I think Heath ledgers worked because it was a pure agent of chaos, (As Knox Noted, He Just Is) less man than force of nature, but as Karm noted Jack Nicholson worked for a different reason.  As to this trailer, looks alright to me overall, but I'm happy to live with the idea of multiple Jokers with multiple origins, they all explore different 'possibilities' of the character in my mind, I might have a preference for Heath Ledgers version, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy other versions.

As a general note on some other villains, i think the biggest mistake writers make is when a Villain (character like Hannibal or group like Borg) becomes popular they think this is popular lets use this more...and after initial 'fights' they end up being less enemy more Frenemy e.g. IMO Hannibal in the movie Hannibal/Red Dragon was far less antagonistic than Silence, Borg by the End of Voyager were an ally at time instead of relentless force. Exploring a back story is to me less an issue than 'friending' them as a method of keeping them going without the heroes having to destroy them outright.

To be Fair, Red Dragon came first...so It would be more he became More antagonistic.   An Enemy teaming up with a Hero against a bigger villain is an old trope and one hard to pull off imo.  On topic of the Joker...the Burton film gets away with a lot of "sins" because...well...its just so damn good.  But I look at it as an exception.  I too prefer the Joker being a bit ambiguous.  

I could have done with less about the Xenomorphs and more on the Yatuja (Predators).  Like Knox I read the comics and would love to see more of those stories adapted.  Especially Bad Blood.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 10:40:44 PM »

I could have done with less about the Xenomorphs and more on the Yatuja (Predators).  Like Knox I read the comics and would love to see more of those stories adapted.  Especially Bad Blood.
Did you know that Dark Horse gave the studio permission to adapt Aliens vs Predator into a movie. But the studio passed on the opportunity, thinking an original story would be better. Dark Horse's AvP are some of the best comics to come out in the 90s and very cinematic in their story telling and characters. But at that time, studios thought comics were "for kids" and probably never even read an issue.

I will say one thing about this Joker movie, it does seem to be paying a lot of homage to Scorcese's The King of Comedy, starring Robert de Niro, who is also in this movie. Plus, I believe this will be the first Elseworlds movie from DC.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2019, 11:07:41 PM »

Did you know that Dark Horse gave the studio permission to adapt Aliens vs Predator into a movie. But the studio passed on the opportunity, thinking an original story would be better. Dark Horse's AvP are some of the best comics to come out in the 90s and very cinematic in their story telling and characters. But at that time, studios thought comics were "for kids" and probably never even read an issue.

I will say one thing about this Joker movie, it does seem to be paying a lot of homage to Scorcese's The King of Comedy, starring Robert de Niro, who is also in this movie. Plus, I believe this will be the first Elseworlds movie from DC.

They seemed to borrow a small part with Lex (Sanaa Lathan) teaming up with the predator like Machiko.  But it just didn't work imo.  Lex  was a survival guide. Tough but no warrior. But all the Mercs were taken out quickly. 

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 10:24:49 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqY2bbIiCuA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqY2bbIiCuA</a>

Dark Path Media
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -168

Once you start down the dark path...

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2019, 10:59:04 PM »

It looks very interesting. Even before we knew who it was, when I heard they were going to feature the Joker again in The Dark Knight, the mere prospect seemed absurd to me after the portrayal by Jack Nicholson. I figured, "how in the hell are you going to top that"? When I heard it was Heath Ledger, I was even more skeptical.

As we all now know from this perspective, Heath was brilliant; and it's not that he was "better" than Jack Nicholson's Joker IMO, he had a totally different interpretation that yielded an equally impressive performance.

I can see the possibility of something very similar here, and I think Joaquin can pull it off.

Ultrasabers currently owned: Archon v3.1 (Diamond) - Guardian (Diamond) - Spectre (Diamond) - Renegade (Diamond) - Fulcrum (Diamond) - Consular (Diamond) - Butcher (Diamond) - Menace SE Staff (Diamond) - Dark Graflex (Diamond) - Dark Sentinel v4 (Stunt) - Initiate v4 (Stunt, Summer Raffle Prize)

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2019, 03:58:10 PM »

It's ...... Interesting.  To say the least.  One of the main things though I see this in the same Vein as Logan.  People beginning to take comic films more seriously.  Not all of them have to be big Spectacles.  A nice nod, I think, to the fact that within the comics the Joker always changes his "origin" would be at the end he is talking to Dr. Quinzel.

Joker: "...and thats how I ended up here."

Harley: *sniffs and wipes a tear from under her glasses*  " You poor man."

Joker:  *Begins to smile*   END.     Tongue

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: