Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Colour Filters  (Read 15677 times)
Destra Olsendish
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 11:31:07 PM »

i guess that helps my decision to go wit a natural color.  No Red?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!  thats 1 of the most popular and basic colors

"Fear is the path to the dark side huh? Fear, as well as any other emotion, is what makes us living beings.  There will always be fear, anger, hate, and aggression.  How we control these emotions determines how we live."-MSRJ aka Destra Olsendish

DarthCooper88
11th Disciple of Masamune
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -248

Old-world crafstman, Sabersmith

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 01:48:09 AM »

To get red go down to home depot or lowes & pick up a cheap maglite, it should have a 1" red filter if you pick the 3 filter kit 2aa flashlight set.

"You have been forged in fire, tempered in blood & come out steel" Brave Rifles! 3rd Armored Cavalr

navajas
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -19

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 02:43:32 AM »

If you want red you don't want a white + filter. Just get a red saber. I've tried dozens of filters on my white disconnect and none of the reds really hold a candle to my son's red Archon.

That's not to say you can have a lot of fun, and, my favorite color so far is a nice deep rich pink, but, red? Not so much. Filters are best for all secondary colors in my opinion. Want primaries? (Red Green or Blue) Stick with the appropriate LED.

LE Initiate - Green (for my son)
FreeSaber Archon - Red (for my other son)
Nickel Prophecy - Arctic Blue (for my Mom)
Initiate V3 LE - Destiny (for my wife)
Bane RGB - white FoC (for my brother)
Vermathax - Yellow / Silver / Purple, custom
Archon V2 - Green (amber FoC, *goodies)

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 04:28:34 AM »

If you want red you don't want a white + filter. Just get a red saber. I've tried dozens of filters on my white disconnect and none of the reds really hold a candle to my son's red Archon.

That's not to say you can have a lot of fun, and, my favorite color so far is a nice deep rich pink, but, red? Not so much. Filters are best for all secondary colors in my opinion. Want primaries? (Red Green or Blue) Stick with the appropriate LED.

This is very true.  The power and intensity of the main colors just cannot be replicated by a filter - try to do it and you'll end up with a rather dim blade.  With the white led and Lee filters you can get all sorts of awesome colors, but if you're looking for a pure color then you should just go for that color.

empty
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 15

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 01:28:40 PM »

I find that a white LED with the colored disks that US includes is great at approximating the RGB colors, SY, VA, SRD, and PO can be matched by mixing two disks though with less intensity.  The primary colors need 3 or 4 layers of the darkest disks to get the color close but by that time there is hardly any light at the other end of the blade.

Destra Olsendish
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 02:49:40 PM »

This is very true.  The power and intensity of the main colors just cannot be replicated by a filter - try to do it and you'll end up with a rather dim blade.  With the white led and Lee filters you can get all sorts of awesome colors, but if you're looking for a pure color then you should just go for that color.

Yes I agree 100%.   I was considering silver with filters more for variety on the same saber.  (For those times when u want to unleash ur other side for a bit). It gets pretty expensive to muy a whole new saber especially when u want 2 go all out WITH sound also.

"Fear is the path to the dark side huh? Fear, as well as any other emotion, is what makes us living beings.  There will always be fear, anger, hate, and aggression.  How we control these emotions determines how we live."-MSRJ aka Destra Olsendish

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 03:21:54 PM »

Yes I agree 100%.   I was considering silver with filters more for variety on the same saber.  (For those times when u want to unleash ur other side for a bit). It gets pretty expensive to muy a whole new saber especially when u want 2 go all out WITH sound also.

That's true.  It really depends on what you're going for - if you have a couple colors you really like, you could just go with Quick Disconnect and get an extra MLS unit or something.  If you really want to have a big variety of colors, you can either go with silver (with color discs) or the RGB setup.  The silver option is definitely cool, although I prefer the full power colors - you really just can't beat a powerful red, blue, or green.  That's just my opinion though...

empty
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 01:03:37 PM »

For reference here are some photos of several color combinations using the included color filter disks that ultra sabers ship.  These are AS Aeons (Phantasm actually)  I didn't bother to post red as there really isn't any way to get a "Red" red with the filters, its more like old rose. Smiley  So if BR is what you want then a red LED really is the only way.

Here its the best approximation of GB and CG that I can get.  Note that the two sabers on the outside are Hasbro Force FX with stock LED blades Ultrasabers will be brighter still.   The Aeons each have 4 disks in them CG is (Green, Green, Light Yellow, Light Yellow),  GB is (Blue, Blue, Light blue, Light Blue)

These three photos will give you an idea of their diminished intensity.  The Vader on the right is an Ultrasaber converted BR.  The Aeon in the middle has a single disk, the one on the left has two disks (the light and dark disk of the same color)

Here is what might be BH and PO,  I don't own Pyrestone Orange and Banes Heart sabers so I have no comparison Smiley

Here is SRD and AB.  My friend has both colors so its pretty close:

Chainmale75
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 49

Control your emotions, Don't let them control you.

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 01:15:59 PM »

And these are the disks from US ? Some of them are a pretty nice color, though I'm a big fan of odd-ball colors  Grin

Prophesy V3,CG,Obsidian:
Shock LE, DVA, Obsidian:
x2-Dominix V2 LE, FO/BR Stunt:
DSI V2, AS, Stunt:
Aeon V4, CG stunt;
Apprentice GB stunt;
x2 Initiate V3 SD/SY stunts;
Dominix V3 PO stunt;

empty
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 01:25:11 PM »

Yup.  These came with the Phantasm.  Two sets so you can match both blades.  Incidentally they appear to be the same disks (same material and colors) as the ones that you can buy from TCCS (I have a set of those too)

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 04:37:56 AM »

It seems that the "Ultra discs" aren't that good, from what I hear. Lee filters are much better.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 05:57:06 AM »

Lee is where it's at. And as for primary colors you can actually get a SPECTACULAR blue! It''s a filter called "bright blue." It's kind of like Arctic Blue. It's awesome. I currently have it in my AS Prophecy which is connected with a coupler to my FO Archon V2 (blue/orange FTW!!!)  Grin

navajas
Knight Commander

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »

I'll go see if I've tried that one. I've found some gorgeous hues but all have been dimmed past the fun point. A lighter Episode IV  blue is probably the way to go.

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 07:06:48 PM »

I'll go see if I've tried that one. I've found some gorgeous hues but all have been dimmed past the fun point. A lighter Episode IV  blue is probably the way to go.

It's worth it; and still bright!  Grin

navajas
Knight Commander

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 11:01:32 PM »

Tried the Bright Blue. Nice hue, just, again, too dim. All primary colors are the same thing for me. For instance, Plasma Red is gorgeous and evil looking, but all but invisible in a lit room. Bright Red is a little less of the first and a little brighter, but still pointless when compared to a red LED.

You can get a nice bright limey green, with, unsurprisingly, Lime Green. It's a nice shade, but not very lightsabery, and nothing like the quality you can get from the green P4s.

However, getting my filters out excited the boys so we spent an hour or so trying out new colors. I finally started taking notes. Below is a summary of the filters that made the cut into the go bag;

TERRY RED: This is a very nice dark fiery orange.
MADGE: Don't know what the name means, but this is a very nice dark red orange. Redder than the Terry Red.

MEDIUM BLUE GREEN: This follows the rule that primary colors don't work, but secondaries do. It's a really nice teal.

***BURNT YELLOW***: This is my favorite new yellow. The filter looks orange but the blade is a very rich deep yellow. Much better than my RGB LED and while not quite as bright as my old yellow filter, a much meaner looking color. It's in the saber now. This is not a happy good guy yellow. ANYONE LOOKING FOR A YELLOW SABER THIS IS IT.

FOLLIES PINK
SPECIAL ROSE PINK
: Both of these pinks are beautiful. Basically a trade off between deep and bright. Either is dead sexy.

SUNSET RED: So funny when trying filters because some that look like complete dogs, that you bet will look like a dimmed white surprise you, and some that look like sure fire hits are just crap. This is the former. My youngest said, "This one Dad!" I humored him but let him know it was going to be like the bad ones. Nope. Turns out it the kind of peach color I'd been looking for. I know "Peach" isn't exactly the top of everyone's saber list, but I hadn't found none. Sunset Red is it!

PLASMA RED
BRIGHT RED
: About as good a red as you can get. Dim as can be. But, in a poorly lit or dark room they are both sinister as hell. Deeper in color than the LED.

MEDIUM PURPLE: Most Purples all but disappear. They look sort of like black light. Kind of cool, but not very sabery. This one is OK.

All of the above were tested in 32" heavy grade blade. As is typical, most didn't look as good in the midgrade ultra edge, but some looked just fine like the Medium Blue Green. Both Plasma and Bright reds basically disappeared. Looked like shell. Man, regardless of your color bend, if you're playing with filters and white LEDs I highly recommend giving the Ultra Edge a big pass, and if you must, DO NOT GET THE HEAVY GRADE on it.

Have fun!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: