Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: I require advice on the first UltraSaber I will EVER BUY!  (Read 2839 times)
Darth Sky
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -5

Skyrim took my joke...

« on: January 11, 2012, 01:22:23 PM »

I've narrowed my selection down to two options.

First - The Dark Prophecy LE:
With an Arctic Blue, mid-grade blade, and pointed tip.

Or my 2nd option - The Dark Prophecy V3:
with an Arctic Blue, mid-grade blade, pointed tip. Obsidian Sound with Blue AV switch, and the Li-Ion Set up.

Obviously..... HUGE price difference. What it boils down to for me is, while I love the design of the Prophecy in general. To me at least, nothing beats the design of The Dark Prophecy LE, and I would LOVE to have one. But on the other hand, I really want my first saber to go the whole 9 yards and have sound, the AV switch, rechargeable batteries and maybe even FoC. Which is what leaned me towards the the DP-V3.............

But I REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAALLY love the the look of the DP-LE...

My friends.... I need guidance....
Should I go for the Dark Prophecy LE or V3?

Maybe someone on the forum knows a way to remove black anodizing in certain areas....
Or maybe even how to weather it a little bit... (I'm sure it's not as simple as scraping it off)

Help me members of the forum..... You're my only hope...

I miss Darth Maul... (Sad Face)

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 03:58:18 PM »

Your Obi-Wan ANH reference has brought me to you.

Get the LE.  Sure, it doesn't have sound but guess what, most of us bought our first sabers when they were made out of PVC pipe instead of metal.  You can save up for your next saber (and they come out with something new every 4 - 5 months) and get sound in the next one and really pimp it out.

Just my opinion!

As for removing black anodizing, I dunno.

Cheers.

NinjaJesus
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 61

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 08:21:49 PM »

My friend actually used sandpaper to remove some of the black anodized grip for his Bellicose.  That's the only way I can really help.  I myself would go with the V3.  Good luck.

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 10:18:30 PM »

IF you think you're willing to try sanding some anodizing back off of the V3 and polishing it up afterwords, then I say go for that. Otherwise, do the LE. My first saber was a Proph CE, and even silent, she was incredible. You'll love that hilt for ever and ever if you buy it. PLUS.... you can always come back later and get the dark V3, or even a dark LE V3 if they release one, with all the bells and whistles and couple them to make a staff! Then you'd get the best of both worlds. Wink

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Darth Sky
Knight Lance Corporal

Skyrim took my joke...

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 11:59:05 PM »

Get the LE.  Sure, it doesn't have sound but guess what, most of us bought our first sabers when they were made out of PVC pipe instead of metal.  You can save up for your next saber (and they come out with something new every 4 - 5 months) and get sound in the next one and really pimp it out.

I think you're right, Master Vidnyl. I'm probably just being impatient.

Also, I'm getting the pointed tip just cause I think it looks better then a round tip. But what exactly is "Lead Time"?

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 12:10:04 AM »

Increased Lead Time = Getting the pointed tip will cause your saber to take longer getting out of the shop.

CZ3RO
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -178

"There were lessons the Jedi couldn't teach me."

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 01:54:37 AM »

I had the same problem, I like the style of the Prophecy, but really wanted it in black and silver to show off the detailing - but that would have meant no sound.  Sad

Ultimately I really wanted sound in my saber so in a strange twist ordered a nickel anodized Overlord with sound instead.  Smiley 

My guess is that there will be a Dark Proph LE v3 one day anyway and I'll just have to order it then.  Tongue

.ZERO.

"The Jedi and their 'Order' betrayed the Chancellor and the Republic - hunting them down isn't about revenge; this is justice."
- Fane Cinden, Imperial Inquisitioner

Darth Sky
Knight Lance Corporal

Skyrim took my joke...

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 03:03:38 AM »

Increased Lead Time = Getting the pointed tip will cause your saber to take longer getting out of the shop.

Meh, It'll be worth it. I'll just get quick ship then...

Rogue Jedi
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 03:41:29 AM »

If you are wanting to remove a bit of the anodizing, the good news is: you are working with aluminum.  Working with aluminum is dangerously close to working with wood.  The process will involve 2 things: 1)patience; 2)appropriate "anti-anodizing" compound.  I have heard of, but not tried, a couple compounds which will remove anodizing.  1)oven cleaner (sodium hydroxide - NaOH, the foaming kind (oven cleaner is wicked stuff, I recommended my sister use this in lieu of pepper spray); 2)Drano (I have no idea about the legitimacy of this claim); 3)sandpaper, I know this works well.  Given you want to remove the anodizing in certain areas, I recommend the sandpaper method.
(another method requires some familiarity with chemistry: a chromic acid/phosphoric acid solution, the specifics are outside my knowledge base)

I sanded 3 of my Prophecy sabers last month, pics are posted in this forum.
You could probably begin with a med grit.  You will need to graduate up to 300grit; 600grit; 1000grit (wet sanding); 1500grit (wet sanding); 2000grit (wet sanding); and I finished with 2500grit (wet sanding); and concluded with aluminum polish.

To achieve the weather look, after removing anodizing and sanding, do not use the metal/aluminum polish.  Aluminum will oxidize fairly quickly, after a month of daily lightsaber practice the oils, water, and salt from your skin will begin to give your saber a weathered appearance.  If you want a weather look more quickly, an acid solution is the key.  Find your nearest car battery and pour out the sulfuric acid (please exercise extreme caution).  Lemon juice & vinegar will have a higher (safer) pH, around 4-5 (still an acid), as opposed to sulfuric acid's 1-2.

As for which saber, I say go with the one you love.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 03:46:47 AM by Rogue Jedi » Logged

Darth Sky
Knight Lance Corporal

Skyrim took my joke...

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 04:49:26 PM »

If you want a weather look more quickly, an acid solution is the key.  Find your nearest car battery and pour out the sulfuric acid

O__O"

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 10:50:51 PM »

You could go for a Bellicose saber. Then you would have both a clean and a black colored saber hilt. I have a Dominix V2 LE saber and it looks cooler with some color on the hilt.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Darth Sky
Knight Lance Corporal

Skyrim took my joke...

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 02:07:43 AM »

You could go for a Bellicose saber. Then you would have both a clean and a black colored saber hilt. I have a Dominix V2 LE saber and it looks cooler with some color on the hilt.

Isn't the Bellicose one of the more larger sabers, like the Bane?

I'm not real big on two handed sabers...

Darth Gekido
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -75

Ronin Sith Marauder

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 10:57:52 AM »

The Bellicose is kind of a beast, but it can be wielded with one hand. I have a 32" mid grade blade on mine, and it is quite comfortable in my main hand. And it is a beautiful saber. That being said, I agree with you, the Dark Prophecies are great-looking sabers, and I would recommend the Dark Prophecy V3. That is what I'm saving all my $ for right now.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:02:02 AM by Darth Gekido » Logged

"Honor is a fool's prize... and glory is of no use to the dead."
      "Mizz'ri"-FO Bellicose, Obsidian, Long Grooves
      "Excrucio"-DVA Prophecy V3, Obsidian, Silver FoC
      "BMF"-Hasbro Force FX Mace Windu
      "Pain"-Anakin ROTS US FX, VA 
Dark Side points, please

Darth Sky
Knight Lance Corporal

Skyrim took my joke...

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 11:00:05 AM »

The Bellicose is kind of a beast, but it can be wielded with one hand. I have a 32" mid grade blade on mine, and it is quite comfortable in my main hand. And it is a beautiful saber.

I'll get one eventually but not for my first saber...

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 07:34:50 AM »

The Bellicose is kind of a beast, but it can be wielded with one hand. I have a 32" mid grade blade on mine, and it is quite comfortable in my main hand. And it is a beautiful saber. That being said, I agree with you, the Dark Prophecies are great-looking sabers, and I would recommend the Dark Prophecy V3. That is what I'm saving all my $ for right now.

The Bellicose is indeed a very balanced saber, for one or two handed use.  It seems like a long hilt until you realize that the emitter shroud takes up basically a whole inch - the actual hilt itself is fairly normal sized.  A 32" blade on one of those babies would give you a quick, agile combat saber IMO - I know this because I've wielded Master Artorius's Bellicose with a similar setup.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: