Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Blaster First Attempt  (Read 4266 times)
Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« on: July 23, 2012, 05:59:15 PM »

So i started off with a nerf maverick, retails for about 13$ canadian, pretty commonly used in blaster and steampunk prop designs.

I stripped it apart completely ( to make the painting more even, that and i plan to reassemble it in "hopefully" functional condition.

As I opened it up, I did take pictures of the internals to see how everything was put together.

Next, i went with a base coat of gloss black Krylon. I used to use krylon for touch ups on airsoft guns. I used very light coats spraying from about 1' away. Every few hours going back and doing another coat.

Next step, weathering. I bought a bottle of matte grey nail polish, and used a drybrushing technique on it, all over the main components of the blaster. Because nail polish dries so fast, I did have to work quickly to make sure it spread out well.

Next I went back to the gloss krylon, and at a distance re sprayed the pieces very very lightly, to lessen the impact of the dry brushing, it ended up making the weathering look a bit more natural.

Next I plan to use a matte clear coat to seal everything in, help prevent further wear and chipping. ONce thats done, ill be putting it back together.

Hopefully after doing two or three of these things, ill be able to modify one with sound, and an led. Im thinking of using a blade plug and a red led unit in the barrel. Only time will tell if i can make this work.

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Martyr
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 06:51:38 PM »

Thats impressive! Doesn't look like plastic at all, can't wait to see the finished product. Cheesy

"Only heroes die. Villains and cowards are left to suffer."

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 07:06:27 PM »

Thanks, im debating putting something in the pistol grip when i reassemble it, it just feels to bloody light in my hands when its assembled.

i want to give it more heft, make it feel more on par with an acutal firearm

"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Rassilon
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 11

Grey Jedi Consular

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 07:15:38 PM »

I have one of these things, I swear they are so versatile for prop making. That is going to look sick.

"A "Grey Jedi" is someone who understands that what is "light" or "dark" is what resides in us, not in the Force, and seeks to better understand the whole of the Force without any restrictions or preconceptions."

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 05:57:18 AM »

Nice work! I love a good blaster build. I'm actually planning to rip my Maverick apart and dice 'er up to make Armitage's pistol for the Lady. Gonna be fun to tackle that project! I might steal some of your weathering technique, it's quite an effect you've come up with!

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 05:59:33 AM »

Yeah the very light layer of pain overtop afterwards really makes it look a whole lot better. Hopefully it will be all done by the weekend.

Luke & Corran (I,J)

Faa-Yal Dragu
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 111

Jedi knight, wandcrafter, heathen

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 10:24:18 AM »

id recommend sticking a mini maglite underneath the barrel - it would make it look more blaster-ish and also adds some weight. i did it myself when i had one of these, it looked epic.

great job on the paintwork, wouldn't want one pointed in my direction!!!

The jedi only use their powers to defend and protect,
although (waves hand) You will give me lightside points.

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 03:02:22 PM »

oh snap, you just gave me a great idea, the top of the gun, where you pull it back to cock it, actually has a 20mm weaver rail on it

ive got an offset tac light i can put on there upside down, and it would add some weight, and probably look pretty slick

Luke & Corran (I,J)

Remy Lost
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 8

Being Lost is no excuse not to Plunder as you go

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 04:28:20 AM »

Nice paint job!  I have done a few of these myself.  I can never get them to work worth a snot after painting though.  Its gotten to where I just shop for nerf guns at thrift stores.  At less than $3 you win even if it doesn't fire.   

Dominix V2 LE Adegan Silver

You can rent the use of my skills but my loyalty can only be earned.

Remy Lost
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 8

Being Lost is no excuse not to Plunder as you go

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 04:33:19 AM »

Sorry got sidetracked.  You can use lead weights for tires and fishing lures.  This will let you adjust the amount and placement till its balanced right.  If i know it isn't going to fire I usually fill the body with expanding foam.  fill the halves, trim off the excess and rejoin. 

Dominix V2 LE Adegan Silver

You can rent the use of my skills but my loyalty can only be earned.

srams
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 375

Speak softly and carry a big saber...

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »

Oh Snap I didnt ever think of nail polish! I need to find a more permanant coloring for PVC, that will probably do it!

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 09:52:02 PM »

Well its done, forgot to upload the pics. But it does still fire!!

Luke & Corran (I,J)

CZ3RO
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -178

"There were lessons the Jedi couldn't teach me."

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 09:08:03 PM »

Let us seeeeeeee!   Tongue

.ZERO.

"The Jedi and their 'Order' betrayed the Chancellor and the Republic - hunting them down isn't about revenge; this is justice."
- Fane Cinden, Imperial Inquisitioner

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 09:55:15 PM »

Just uploaded them to photobucket now. I'll share the links tomorrow. It doesn't work well on my phone for some bloody reason

Luke & Corran (I,J)

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 12:32:59 PM »

Luke & Corran (I,J)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: