Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Adding flash on clash to existing saber?  (Read 3220 times)
JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« on: July 04, 2017, 08:20:59 PM »

Got a saber staff with RGB and V4 sound from someone for cheap, but it doesnt have flash on clash. I know the LEDs must be RGB, but if they're RGBW, I'm hoping I can just add a couple of wires to enable FoC and make the saberstaff perfect. What do you guys think?

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -88

There is no Peace...only Victory

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 09:13:45 PM »

Got a saber staff with RGB and V4 sound from someone for cheap, but it doesnt have flash on clash. I know the LEDs must be RGB, but if they're RGBW, I'm hoping I can just add a couple of wires to enable FoC and make the saberstaff perfect. What do you guys think?

I believe it can be done with just the positive pad and FOC pad, those should be the two that would run to the white/amber LED. Make sure to properly resistor

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 10:20:10 PM »

I believe it can be done with just the positive pad and FOC pad, those should be the two that would run to the white/amber LED. Make sure to properly resistor

That's what I was thinking too - run a wire from the FOC to the silver pos (i'm hoping its an RGBW) and then run a wire from the main neg to the silver neg. I'm guessing I need to put the resistor on the positive? is there any kind of resistor in particular I should use? I havent worked with resistors before but I bet if I asked real nice I could get US to send me two. Thanks for your help, I'll definitely post some pics when/if its done

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4

projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 10:26:25 PM »

That's what I was thinking too - run a wire from the FOC to the silver pos (i'm hoping its an RGBW) and then run a wire from the main neg to the silver neg. I'm guessing I need to put the resistor on the positive? is there any kind of resistor in particular I should use? I havent worked with resistors before but I bet if I asked real nice I could get US to send me two. Thanks for your help, I'll definitely post some pics when/if its done

I believe the FOC pad is negative. I'm thinking of another brand of boards, so check current obsidian diagrams and the Diamond data sheet for info.   

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 11:03:19 PM »

Yes, the FoC wires to the negative.  Leave the positive wired how it already is.

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 04:26:28 AM »

Yes, the FoC wires to the negative.  Leave the positive wired how it already is.

Oh ok so theres probably just a master positive to the LED on an RGB, AND ALL I'd need to do is add a new neg? that makes a lot of sense.

Any idea about a resistor or would the resistor already be on the master positive?

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 12:24:13 PM »

It depends on what colour you want as FoC and if you have a BuckPuck for current regulation. A BuckPuck makes resistoring almost obsolete, unless you want a mixed colour like SRD or VA or DVA as Flash on Clash. As for the right resistor, you can ask US if they can send you the correct one for your desired FoC colour and a short instruction for the right place.

If you want it to flash white/silver, however, all you need is wiring the white die to the existing positive and run the neg of the white die to the FoC pin of the sound board - you don't need a resistor for that.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 02:41:50 PM »

https://www.ultrasabers.com/product-p/z-sound-obsidianusb.htm

Check the diagrams from US for wiring, it seems the FOC goes to the LED negative and then the LED positive goes to the VIN (assumedly voltage in?)

Racona Nova
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 06:03:50 PM »

^ That's correct.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 11:22:46 PM »

Wow thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help. I'll look at my LED and see if I can handle this, should be a real fun project!

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 02:17:35 PM »

By the way, soldering a wire to the pin for adding FoC to an Obsidian board that's not already set up for it is a bit of a pain.   Roll Eyes  But, it looks cool when you do get it done.

Racona Nova
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 04:53:20 PM »

I don't know, but maybe the wiring harness has a blind FoC wire that just needs to be extended and soldered to the LED Smiley So you don't need access to the pin itself.

Sig by Master Nero

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: