Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: BAD TIMES AT THE EL ROYALE - NON-SPOILER REVIEW  (Read 342 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: October 14, 2018, 01:23:04 AM »

PLEASE NOTE - THE FOLLOWING IS A SPOILER FREE REVIEW OF THE FIRST EPISODE. I WILL NOT REVEAL ANY MAJOR PLOT POINTS FROM THE MOVIE.

“You’re just too good to be true.”

It is completely strange to think that it’s been six years since Drew Goddard directed his last movie, the amazing Cabin in the Woods. He has always been a great writer, first working alongside Joss Whedon on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, before joining forces with JJ Abrams on Alias and Lost. I know he was busy as executive producer on Netflix’s Daredevil, as well as writing a number of other projects, but he seemed to let directing take a backseat.

How will this new fair? Is the period setting and novelty of the hotel more style than substance? Will the amazing cast be more than just a sum of their parts?

THE STORY
Set in 1969, Bad Times at the El Royale follows seven strangers who find themselves at the El Royale, a novelty hotel that straddles the border between California and Nevada. But as the strangers including a priest, a vacuum cleaner salesman and a former singer settle into their rooms, they discover that something strange is afoot inside and outside the hotel.

OVERALL OPINION

The second trailer for this movie is what sold me; it did an excellent job of getting me excited with heavy dollops of intrigue as to how this meeting of strangers would play out. The movie perfectly captures the period setting and the cast of characters are very real and well fleshed out. However, it turns out the movie is kind of a different beast than what is sold in the trailer. It’s not bad by any stretch, just different in parts than I was expecting.

Drew Goddard seems to be trying replicate a Tarantino-esque vibe, complete with title cards signalling a new “chapter” of the story being told. No-one can do Tarantino like Tarantino, however a wise man once set, a good director borrows from others, a great director steals. The mix of Goddard’s style and humour with a vaguely Tarantino like style produces an captivating result, one that kept me thoroughly engaged throughout.

There are some moments of genuine surprise and while the pacing in the last 10 minutes was a little dragged out, overall it was actually a good time at El Royale.

THE PERFORMANCES
Jeff Bridges - Daniel Flynn
Let’s get this out the way first, the name Flynn is not an inside joke to the character Bridges played in Tron. The Dude brings his considerable amount of charm and talent to this character who is going through some seriously emotional stuff, that really makes you feel for him. He also has the best line in the whole movie, that was also in the trailer.

Cynthia Erivo - Darlene Sweet
This is first thing I have ever seen her in and it could be said that she is the protagonist of the movie. She plays a talented singer on her way to a job in Reno, but gets caught up in the shenanigans at the hotel during her stay. A wonderful break-out performance which I’m sure will lead to her getting cast in lots of projects in the future.

Dakota Johnson - Emily Summerspring
Now that the 50 Shades trilogy is over, Dakota Johnson is free to show what she really can do as an actress. I was expecting more from her character in terms of the story, however, I liked her performance, equal parts intelligent and no nonsense.

Jon Hamm - Seymour Sullivan
A vacuum cleaner salesman who may not actually be what he seems. Once again Hamm shows while he always a good fit for every role he is cast in.

Chris Hemsorth - Billy Lee
A charismatic cult leader, Hemsworth gets to play against type here with a performance that shows there is more to him than Thor and muscles.

Lewis Pullman - Miles Miller
The El Royale’s young concierge, Pullman does a wonderful job of portraying a young man who seems a little out of his depth, but who also is carrying a heavy weight on his soul.

OTHER STUFF
The Action
This is not an action oriented movie; it’s more of a slow burn character piece.

The Cinematography
Beautifully shot with some amazing camera work, especially the use of depth of field in certain key shots.

The Pacing
Apart from the last 5-10 minutes, the movie was perfectly paced. The story is told almost from the perspective of the different characters, but in such a way that leaves you wanting more without getting bored.

The Music
The soundtrack is excellent, made of a lot of Motown songs, with a classic Deep Purple track thrown in for good measure.

FINAL VERDICT
A different movie than the one I was expecting, but really very enjoyable. A well told story, not that violent with some wonderful performances from all involved.

Score: 7.5/10    

MY MOVIE RATING SYSTEM
10- Citizen F*%king Kane (A+)
 9-  Bloody Great (A)
 8-  Really rather good (A-)
 7-  Pretty decent (B+)
 6-  Definitely above average (B)
 5- Middle of the road average (C)
 4- Mediocre (D)
 3- Meh (E)
 2- Crap (F)
 1- Why the hell did I waste my time and money on this abomination (Unrated)

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 02:28:21 AM »

Great review there, Knox. I’ve seen both trailers and been on the fence with the movie but Jeff and Chris alone will make me go see the film.  Keep the reviews coming. I thoroughly enjoy the unbiased reviews from you. Point incoming

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: