Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Author Topic: What's your favourite fighter jet of all time?  (Read 18399 times)
Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2016, 07:30:56 PM »

+1 to KDP for the A-10. Grin

More jets...

An F4 Phantom:

A Panavia Tornado:

And a couple of really loud ones...

An F86 Sabre:

An F7:

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Darth Acervus
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -248

6 movies & Rogue one. That's all folks....

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2016, 08:47:43 PM »

Well, you see, somebody made this really large gun and didn't know what to do with it.  So somebody else made this really awesome plane around said gun....and the A-10 was born.  

The most phenomenal sound ever is the sound of a A-10 firing off that gun.    AWESOME!!!

A-10's used to fly over where I grew up regularly . Wasn't there something about it being a bulletproof bathtub that the pilot sat in ?

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2016, 08:56:46 PM »

You are correct Darth Acervus, the A-10 had a "Titanium Bathtub" similar to the cockpit cocoons seen nowadays in F1 race cars. It vastly improved the survivability of A-10 pilots. I am guessing you are in the Lincolnshire/Cambridgeshire area of the UK as I too had these awe inspiring machines flying over my home regularly.
If you guys like LOUD, then this next plane I saw at RAF Waddington's last airshow in 2014 will please. It is Sweden's Dragon, or rather the Saab J-35 DRAKEN!

And a YouTube video, credit to Simon Hutchinson for it!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk5seflcWOE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk5seflcWOE</a>

Hope you like!

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2016, 11:26:21 PM »

Wow.... very interesting shape there, looks about as airworthy as a brick! certainly flies well though!

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2016, 02:02:50 AM »

Wow.... very interesting shape there, looks about as airworthy as a brick! certainly flies well though!

Surprisingly so, but the shape of the wing and engine cowling/roots give the plane a "double-delta" which gives it fantastic lift and low speed ability while still having speed from the swept back wing sections. The Panavia Tornado and F-14 Tomcat achieved this too but have variable geometry (swing-wing) which requires heavy mechanisms.

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2016, 02:52:07 PM »

Thanks for the point for the A-10.  I have had the opportunity several times to be around it and Its awe inspiring.  Would love to get in the cockpit

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2016, 02:59:07 PM »

Thanks for the point for the A-10.  I have had the opportunity several times to be around it and Its awe inspiring.  Would love to get in the cockpit
I know eh?  They are awesome machines. Smiley

I've only seen them fly a couple of times at airshows, but watched numerous videos. Wink (It's a favourite to fly in my PS3 game too... Tongue)

That plane has been mentioned a lot on this thread, but doesn't really ever get shown - good pic too. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Darth Acervus
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -248

6 movies & Rogue one. That's all folks....

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2016, 03:56:05 PM »

Have a point from me too KDP.
You reminded me of my childhood in a fantastic way. I think I was probably lucky to be on a major flight/training path back in the 80's . The A-10's were really a regular sight(in formation pairs as well if memory serves correct) along with other planes. But I always remember us pointing skyward & saying " There go the Tank Busters" when A-10's were above.

Thinking back it makes me wonder if they were deliberately buzzing trainees & gliders at the very nearby RAF Syerston - Royal Air Force 2 Flying Training School and Central Gliding School. ( you weren't that far off For Tyeth. Nottinghamshire, but still close to a lot of bases & former bases in Lincolnshire.)

&  point to FT for conforming as true, what sounded like the usual nonsence that I spout from time to time. Grin

I still love planes Smiley

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2016, 04:02:39 PM »

Thanks Acervus. 

I have to say that I have been blessed more than I deserve.  I have to say though that the A-10 will always be my favorite...its inception is probably the weirdest that I know of. 

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

Faith Caine
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 102

Light side points, please.

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2016, 04:17:56 PM »

You've seen the rest

Now see the best

The F-14D Tomcat

"This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age. " Obi-Wan Kenobi

Armory:
Aeon LE v4 in Guardian Blue Upgraded to Obsidian LITE Sound W/ FoC in Silver
Catalyst in DVA
Arbiter in GB Obs v4
Apprentice LE v4 in FO
Dark Liberator v3 in Tri-FO

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2016, 05:12:26 PM »

You've seen the rest

Now see the best

The F-14D Tomcat

I'm sorry, but the F-15 begs to differ. Objectively speaking the F-15 was a better craft from the beginning. There's a reason why the F-15 is still in service while the F-14 isn't...

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2016, 05:52:48 PM »

I thought the F-15 was the Air Force equivalent of the F-14.

Personally I've always liked the P-38 Lightning, but it's not a jet.

But I find the lines of the F-22 Raptor to be highly appealing.

But to back up Jev,

If Starscream copied it, then it's a superior fighter. Wink

But you have to admit the variable geometry wings are cool. Grin

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2016, 06:12:21 PM »

I thought the F-15 was the Air Force equivalent of the F-14.

Personally I've always liked the P-38 Lightning, but it's not a jet.

But I find the lines of the F-22 Raptor to be highly appealing.

But to back up Jev,

If Starscream copied it, then it's a superior fighter. Wink

But you have to admit the variable geometry wings are cool. Grin

It was the equivalent so far as an air superiority role was concerned. However, the F-14 was bigger, heavier, and more expensive to produce due to the variable geometry wings and the mechanisms to operate them properly. Coupled with the worst engine decision to ever be made (the Pratt & Whitney TF30), the early days of the F-14 were problematic, to say the least. Fully 28% of all early accidents were attributed to those bad engines. Once they were replaced with the General Electric F110 engines, things got better.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2016, 07:42:53 PM »

So we look to the latter days to go "Ooh" and "Aah"

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2016, 09:05:42 PM »

"I have tone - taking the shot..."

"FOX ONE!!!"

Tongue

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B8u_XzbSuQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B8u_XzbSuQ</a>

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: