Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Alcohol discussion thread  (Read 7811 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: February 14, 2016, 12:24:16 PM »

I came up with this idea from conversations on another thread. This thread is where we can exchange cocktail/shots receipes, share funny drunk stories and even discuss hangover cures.

(Please note - I know we have a few young people on the forum, so I would just like to add that you should always drink responsibly. Always know your limits and never get pressured into having a drink if you don't want it. You have nothing to prove to anyone.)

So, who wants to get the ball rolling?

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 12:53:31 PM »

Earth Margarita:
Make your margarita how you normally would. A standard recipe is usually 1.5 oz of tequila and .5 oz of triple sec. Blend until smooth.
In the bottom of the glass, pour .5 oz of Midori melon liqueur.
Pour the margarita in the glass.
Pour .5 oz of blue curacao on the top of the margarita.
Swirl with a straw if necessary.
It should give you a blue, green, and white-ish swirled effect, like looking at the earth.

Twilight Zone:
Repeat the same process as above, but use pina colada instead a margarita (with rum as the alcohol, of course).

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 01:21:08 PM »

I have a few friends who work in bars. Occasionally they are asked to try and come up with a new cocktail. One evening we came up with the following:

Champagne
Brandy
Cranberry juice
Lemonade
Brown sugar
Slice of lime

Skinny glass with ice.

We called it a Danger Zone.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 03:24:19 PM »

I'm fairly sure that back in my university days, the most beneficial cure for a bad hang over was the next morning to drink flat beer mixed with tomato juice ( perhaps called hair of the dog ) and then eat a large breakfast of bacon and eggs.  Oodles of Canadian bacon.  Then go home to either die from multiple toxicity or wake up " strong like bull "   Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 03:36:07 PM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

Dagr
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 5

The (light points) force is strong with this one.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 03:45:16 PM »

Great thread... Smiley   I think we certainly need to come up with some lightsaber/force related drinks... Smiley

"The dark side".... "The rebel".... "This is the drink you are looking for!"... endless name possibilities! *grin*

marina_bonomi
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 152

Light side points, please

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 03:53:15 PM »

I had an experience with alcohol some years ago that maybe could be useful for somebody.

I was in Germany for a friend's wedding, the evening before we stayed up late to prepare the food for the after-wedding party, so that morning I woke late, got ready and went to the kitchen were a few close friends of the couple were, the bride proposed a toast before moving to town hall.

I rarely drink, but it was less than half a glass of light white wine so I toasted the happy couple drank.

...and, all of a sudden, felt my knees give way.

Thankfully one of the friends (who didn't drink) was with AA, he recognized what was happening, caught me before I fell and had me drink a lot of water.

He told me that, since I'd been up for such a short time, my liver wasn't really working yet and the alcohol I'd drunk had basically gone straight into my bloodstream.

I'll never forget that feeling.

My arsenal:

Dark Arbiter Obsidian V4 / Emerald
Stealth Dominix V4 in Arctic Blue

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 04:47:09 PM »

Great thread... Smiley   I think we certainly need to come up with some lightsaber/force related drinks... Smiley

"The dark side".... "The rebel".... "This is the drink you are looking for!"... endless name possibilities! *grin*
I think we should definitely give this some serious thought, for names as well as the drinks themselves

I'm fairly sure that back in my university days, the most beneficial cure for a bad hang over was the next morning to drink flat beer mixed with tomato juice ( perhaps called hair of the dog ) and then eat a large breakfast of bacon and eggs.  Oodles of Canadian bacon.  Then go home to either die from multiple toxicity or wake up " strong like bull "   Cheesy
I'm with you on the fry-up the next morning (although being in the Uk substitute canadian bacon for danish bacon).

I know that the drinking culture is very different in each country. In the UK I think most people start around 15/16. (I would like to go on record as saying I am not an advocate of underage drinking, but I think we can all acknowledge that it happens). However, by the time you reach 18 (the legal drinking age in the UK) that's where you go large on nights out, with the hangover being a rite of passage.

I have many a drinking story from my university years. Lots of bars and clubs in the UK have student deals on drinks (2 for 1 on shots or whatever). Plus, I was on the rugby team and was subjected to the initiation for all new players. And i'm very proud to say that I am the only person in the history of the university rugby team never to throw up. (i am actually vomit free since 1994). Being on the rugby team and then being in my 20s living in London is where I learned how to mix my drinks on a night out and not suffer from a hangover.

We had a four day bank holiday weekend one year. I went out Thursday night and got home at 6am Monday morning. Big night that involved lots of bars, several clubs (including some that are open all day) and a couple of house parties. You would think by the end of it I would have been wasted. However, I was mildy tipsy even though I drank throughout the whole thing. When I woke up monday afternoon, had my hangover cure (cranberry juice with red bull) a fry-up and was perfectly fine.

Even though I don't drink anywhere near that amount these days, I still enjoy the odd night out. I DJ twice a month which tend to be my "big" nights out. other than that, i might have the occasional beer on a non-training day at the gym. Funny thing, I've noticed when I am heavily in a training cycle at the gym I can drink more and have no after effects the next day. lol

BurceChuat
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 196

From my point of view, I have the high ground!

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 07:55:12 PM »

Even though I don't drink anywhere near that amount these days, I still enjoy the odd night out. I DJ twice a month which tend to be my "big" nights out. other than that, i might have the occasional beer on a non-training day at the gym. Funny thing, I've noticed when I am heavily in a training cycle at the gym I can drink more and have no after effects the next day. lol

DS point for this topic, Knox!

When it comes to hangovers I've only gotten very slight headaches once or twice, and I never eat before drinking for fear of throwing up. The only catch to this ~marvelously~ hangover-free life is that I'm an extreme lightweight. One drink pretty much gets me rolling and at 3 I'm halfway to blacking out.

I remember once I was drinking by myself in my apartment. I had a good 2 or 3 drinks when I went over to  my friends' apartment (these were apartment-style dorms, so it was a pretty short walk), and found out that they were pre-gaming before mobbing to another friend's dorm and asked me to join them. Not one to decline free alcohol, I took 3 shots before leaving with them.

I entered the car then blacked out. The next fragment I remember was my friend tending to a cut on my forehead and saying "I don't, give a fHux" very rhythmically. After that one instance of lucidity, I blacked out again and woke up on a couch in a place I've never been before. My shades were missing (it was dark and I was wearing shades, so I pretty much deserved to lose them), but my glasses, wallet, keys, and phone were all still miraculously with me.

I put on my glasses and went to look at myself in the mirror. Sometime during the night, I did something that caused me to have a major road rash one my forehead, nose, and chin. Still groggy, I pretty much blew this off and went looking for whoever was in the strange apartment with me. I was super relieved to find one of my friends sleeping on the bed, and that while he woke up earlier, he let me sleep in  Grin

As we were walking back to my place, I asked him what happened. He said we went to one party, left, then sometime during the first party and the second, I tried doing a rolling breakfall. I did Combat Sambo and Judo in the past, and I was always eager to show off whenever possible...but this probably wasn't the greatest idea when I was blackout drunk. I ended up scraping my face against the sidewalk and still partying on.

When we got to second party, that's pretty much when I was done. After talking to a couple strangers while having my face torn up (the power of alcohol), I slipped away in the middle of it and fell asleep in a pantry. Luckily, my friends were at a better state of mind than me, so they found me, retrieved my phone and shoes which I had apparently discarded, and took me to a safe spot. I'd say they're pretty cool guys.

That night probably wasn't the smartest decision, though...I went home the next weekend with multiple Spongebob bandaids on my face and my parents flipped out and assumed I'd been bullied  Cheesy. It took a while to convince them that I tripped and fell on the sidewalk, though I don't think that they really believed me.

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die."

Owned: Sentinel LE, TRI GB, V4 sound

Siblings':
Standard Issue, AS
Dark Apprentice, HP

Wishlist: Catalyst, Guardian, Manticore, Prophecy V3

BlingedJedi
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 81

crystals and cat hair

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 11:45:20 PM »

I love beer so much I got hops tattooed on my ankle 8 years ago, and I wasn't even at the legal age to drink.  I was also into home brewing but it's been years and years.  I also had a QA job at a local brewery for one summer in college, and did my senior thesis on the anti microbial effects of hops vs other herbs they used to use.  I could talk your ear off about it.

Alcohol is really the only thing I regularly break my paleo diet for.  I'm a weirdo who doesn't eat grains unless it's beer.  I like bigger, bolder beers.  I'm very fond of ipa and most Belgians, and my tastes tend toward the more bitter less sweet beers, I can't stand sweet drinks !

For wine I like dry slightly fruity whites ( like Sauvignon blanc or Pinot gris) and big reds (like a cab)

For liquor I like bourbon gin and rye.  Perfect rye Manhattan is my cocktail of choice, but I've been going more toward dry gin martinis since I've been paleo because the sugar count is a little lower.

My sabers:
Arctic blue prophecy
Fire Orange initiat v2

Wanted:
Blazing red dark sentinel v4
yellow phantasm initiate

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 02:15:06 AM »

My Star Wars themed Hens party we renamed a list of cocktails to be Star Warsy: Gungan Fizz (blue curacao, vodka, lemon juice sugar syrup, lemonade), Tatooine Sunset (vodka, mango liqueur, lemon juice, pineapple juice), Java the Hutt (coffee liqueur, espresso coffee, vanilla icecream or half and half topped with whipped cream- desert cocktail), Dagobah Dip (melon liqueur, vodka, pineapple juice), Krazy Kashyyyk (the Toffee Apple further down), Jawa Juice (peach liqueur, strawberry liqueur, vodka and pineapple juice or orange juice).

This is my current favourite cocktail- I only drink cocktails, I am an uber sweet tooth and I don't drink beer, wine or most spirits:

2 shots Strawberry Liqueur
1 shot Blackcurrant Liqueur
1 shot Chambord
1/2 shot Red Raspberry Liqueur (I know, double up on raspberry but it was mostly because the Chambord was running low and I've got heaps of a cheaper Raspberry left Tongue)
1 shot Apple Liqueur
1 shot Peach Liqueur
1/2 shot Midori

Add all of this to an apple based fruit juice- I use a fruits of the forest fruit juice, usually 250ml to all of that and ice and enjoy! Makes 2 drinks. Often I just make up a batch of the alcohol and add it to whatever amount of juice I want. It is like drinking cordial, which can be somewhat deadly! This came from the original recipe that was called a Toffee Apple- or Poison Apple is what we called it because it was renamed for a Halloween party and the name has stuck Tongue :

30ml strawberry liqueur
30 ml melon liqueur
15 mls peach liqueur
60mls apple juice
30mls rich sugar syrup (2 parts sugar: 1 part water)
30 mls vodka.

Blend melon and peach liqueurs with apple juice and crushed ice and pour into glass. Stir strawberry liqueur and sugar syrup together then pour over frappe.

The vodka and sugar syrup just aren't needed unless you want it so ickky sweet its hard to drink and want to get off your face quicker Tongue I ended up slowly adjusting and adding things to suit my tastes until I got to that up there ^^^

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 10:23:34 AM »

Ok, you sweet tooothers. I'm looking at you, B1ondeange1.

This one is really simple, pretty sweet, and looks cool because it's layered.

Pineapple Upside Down Cake:
Shot of good vodka (vanilla vodka is preferred, but not necessary).
Splash of pineapple juice.
Shake it with ice, and strain it into a glass (or just mix if the juice is cold).
Take some Grenadine cherry syrup, and pour it into the glass, but tilt the glass at a good angle, and let the Grenadine run down the inside edge of the glass so it settles on the bottom.
You should have yellow on top of red; they shouldn't be mixed.

It sounds harder than it is, trust me. You can also do more vodka and more juice and use a martini glass as a dessert martini. I made these for Easter last year. The plan was for it to be our dessert drink (old school ham recipe uses pineapple and cherries, so it goes really well together), but my family was impatient after the boys laid down for their naps. Less than an hour later, my parents were asleep on the couch, and my wife was asleep on the floor.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 10:35:58 AM »

Ok - here's a question for th group: what one drink can you absolutely NOT have? (That one drink that even the thought of having it makes you gag).

Mine is cider. Bad experience when I was 16. Just the smell of it now makes me not happy.
(And yet I love apple juice. Go figure! Cheesy)

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 11:01:13 PM »

When it comes to beer, I love a good red ale. With the exception of Corona (nothing like a cold Corona with a lime wedge on a hot Texas afternoon), I follow a simple mantra: If it looks like pee, it ain't for me.

I LOVE a good honey mead, especially on a chilly evening if it's been mulled.

I like a good bold red wine, be it merlot or cabernet. Not a fan of white wines, though. Mulled wine is also good for a chilly night.

I'm ambivalent about most liquors, though.

Ok - here's a question for th group: what one drink can you absolutely NOT have? (That one drink that even the thought of having it makes you gag).

Jaegermeister. Blech. I HATE licorice.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 11:33:32 PM »

Beginners guide to different styles of beer

http://matadornetwork.com/life/infographic-beginners-guide-different-styles-beer/?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=social&utm_content=inf_10_49_2&utm_campaign=bos&tse_id=INF_ce07d0dcc442423ba8da6f1c111670a2

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 01:17:24 AM »

Mine is cider. Bad experience when I was 16. Just the smell of it now makes me not happy.
(And yet I love apple juice. Go figure! Cheesy)

Straight rum, of any kind.
There's a story there.

I'm more of a beer drinker now, IPAs and Stouts depending on the mood.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: