Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Reviews of my saber arsenal -by Starflicker-  (Read 2095 times)
Starflicker
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 16

I Wanna the Hero but the Villains having more fun

« on: October 10, 2020, 07:04:35 AM »

So since I have now accumulated a number of sabers, I thought I should start a review thread.

It will be limited to pictures and some text initially but once I figure out video, and get brave enough to post em, I plan to move into that.

So my current arsenal consists of: (In order that they were ordered)

Mystery Box: Archon v2.1 Stunt GB
Mystery Box: Bellicose Stunt SRD (I am actually not entirely certain what color this one is, but the LED is Blue/Green/White)
Dark Initiate v2 Stunt BR
Mystery Box: Aeon v3 Stunt BR
Mystery Box: Aeon v4 Stunt BVA
Dominix v5 Diamond
Dark Apprentice v4 Staff Stunt AS (Quick Connect)
Dark Apprentice v5 Obsidian v4 CG foc FO
Second Prize: Azure Mantis Obsidian Lite GB
Grab Bag: Aeon v2 Stunt GB
Grab Bag: Initiate v3 Stunt GB
Grab Bag: Dark Apprentice v4 Stunt CG

There are, of course, more details to each hilt (see my signature), but they will be noted in the individual reviews.

My combat training is a Karate Green Belt, so I likely know just enough to hurt myself, and I have no training what-so-ever with blades of any kind, so these will be reviews from an amateur.

I have sorta figured out imgur so there will be photos, once I take them.

I like writing and I will try to be professional in the written ones, but no guarantees of anything if I get brave enough to do videos (other than trying to stay PG).

More posts to come. Some with pictures!

Newly Obsessed with Sabers
Aeon v4 Windows BVA, Aeon v3 BR, Dark Initiate v2 BR, Archon v2.1 GB, Bellicose SRD, Aeon v2 GB, Initiate v3 GB, Dark Apprentice v4 Windows CG, Dominix v5 Diamond, Dark Apprentice v4 windows Staff Stunt AS, Dark Apprentice v5 Obsidian v4 CG with FO FoC, Azure Mantis GB Obsidian Lite

I need to stop. Or, ya know, win the lottery.

Wish List: Too long to be placed here.

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 07:28:31 AM »

That's a nice arsenal you've got Starflicker, I'm following this now and await your reviews!

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 12:03:46 PM »

That’s a nice arsenal, indeed.  Like TCCW, I look forward to seeing the reviews.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

MVHI JEDI
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 115

"Sometimes I amaze even MYSELF."

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 07:40:07 PM »

I love seeing that I'm not the only one with a saber addiction... although I fear I may still may need an intervention (see my signature).

LIGHT SIDE POINTS APPRECIATED WHEN EARNED.

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 03:13:47 AM »

Liking the collection. Very nice.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

Starflicker
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 04:38:19 AM »

Okay. First Saber.  Archon v2.1

Here are the pictures. Sorry no video yet.

Aeon v4 Windows BVA, Aeon v3 BR, Dark Initiate v2 BR, Archon v2.1 GB, Bellicose SRD, Aeon v2 GB, Initiate v3 GB, Dark Apprentice v4 Windows CG, Dominix v5 Diamond, Dark Apprentice v4 windows Staff Stunt AS, Dark Apprentice v5 Obsidian v4 CG with FO FoC, Azure Mantis GB Obsidian Lite

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 04:41:30 AM »

Nice looking saber! Wouldn't mind seeing the others. Just sayin. So, what's next?

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

Starflicker
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 05:04:08 AM »

Now the Specs:

Archon v2.1

Configuration: Stunt
Color of the blade: Guardian Blue
Battery Configuration: Standard Setup
Blade Length: 36" UltraEdge Midgrade Round Tip
Pommel Version: Normal Version
Switch Type: Silver Non-Illuminated AV Switch
Covertec Wheel: Left Side

First impressions:
Comfortable, but kinda large diameter. Works for me because my hand is large.
Spins very nicely. I tend to use the connector between the Emitter and the Body as my hold/choke point.
Balance point for this configuration is about a half inch beyond the emitter in the blade.
Not certain about the covertec wheel since, for me, my second hand land right on top of it. Might be a good thing or could be painful.
Looks amazing with a circle blade plug in it. Depressed slightly into the emitter.
At first impression I did not like the color. Guardian Blue was not one of my first choices and still is not.
This was a mystery box and my first purchase, so was hoping (gambling) on a sound saber. Disappointed.

Reconsiderations:
Still not certain of the covertec wheel. Reasons have not changed.
The Guardian Blue LED is fantastic for using a Photon Blade, and it glows beautifully.
Now that I am aware of the various versions of sound, I am happy with a stunt saber.

Ramblings:
Guardian Blue is slowly growing on me and I like it in this hilt but still not a first choice for me.
I think the diameter of the hilt could cause issues for people with more delicate (smaller) hands.
The connector between the body and the emitter can be flipped which is useful.
The lines on the upper half of the body are not uniform around the entire diameter, which is nice, and the variance is subtle.
The left side covertec would work wonderfully for me, as a right hand dominant, to hang from my right side and draw smoothly.

It has taken a while but I do like this one. Aside from the girth of the saber, I could recommend this to nearly anyone.
It is very nicely made, with good balance and comfort. It has a little bit of detail, setting it above the stock hilts but not so much as to be distracting.
It is also not priced so far above the basic hilts that one would be hesitant to actually use it.
In a heavy duel with full contact the flange around the emitter could possibly cause damage to the opponent or the opponent's blade if it comes in contact.

After some initial dissatisfaction, I am now quite pleased with this saber.

Starflicker
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 05:15:56 AM »

So I am planning to drop in the pictures first on a separate post and then a written review.
The idea with this is that it should allow anyone who wishes to comment, the ability to quote without cluttering the thread with duplicate pictures.

I am going to do these in order as my time allows and try to get decent pictures. Though all I have is an iPhone for it.

Next will be the Bellicose.

Since the Photon Blade I have mentioned was constructed from materials purchased from TCSS (whom I believe it is acceptable to mention) I can provide pictures of the hilt and the Photon Blade if you would like. I know several of you likely have such things and they are not purchasable from US, so they will add-ons rather than included in the primary review.

Happy to hear an comments, questions or suggestions, though I would kindly request that the criticism be kept to the constructive kind.

I do not mind taking more pictures, but I am not a professional so I do not know what is needed in most cases.

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 11:58:02 AM »

Points for the review Starflicker!
I like the details you give and your considerations.

On the covertec-part, I hope you realize that you can unscrew them so you can move your hand freely. I know there'll be a hole, but I might be nicer to the hand that the covertecwheel.
I don't own any sabers with a covertec, especially for the reason you mention, dual-handling.

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

MVHI JEDI
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 115

"Sometimes I amaze even MYSELF."

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 12:00:07 PM »

Also, an Archon AND a Bellicose in MB's???  Nice snag...  Jealous!

LIGHT SIDE POINTS APPRECIATED WHEN EARNED.

Starflicker
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 06:01:14 PM »

On the covertec-part, I hope you realize that you can unscrew them so you can move your hand freely. I know there'll be a hole, but I might be nicer to the hand that the covertecwheel.
I don't own any sabers with a covertec, especially for the reason you mention, dual-handling.

Yes, I do realize that the covertec wheel can be removed but quite honestly the Archon v2.1, while nice and not bad to swing and spin, is not one of my hilts that I am likely to be using as much as others so I am not planning on removing it since I would likely misplace it.
Thank you for pointing that out. I did forget to mention that one could do that.

Also, an Archon AND a Bellicose in MB's???  Nice snag...  Jealous!

As time has passed since I received them, I realize what a nice result they were.

At the time of receipt, however, I was disappointed and angry. They were my 4th and 5th to arrive (a trio of intended gift sabers had arrived first) and I had been looking forward to a lower end hilt, without the covertec, to play around with and really get swinging. My other issue with their arrival was that they were packaged with 36' UltraEdge Mid-Grade Blades when I had requested UE Heavy Grade, the blade in the Bellicose was even warped slightly since the shipping box was a little to short for the saber to be shipped assembled. US has since fixed this issue, but at the time... I was NOT happy.

I know this is not terribly relevant, but it sorta under scores two things:
1) Mystery Boxes are random and since you do not take the time to choose, you will get things that you may not want or like.
Along with this, these two sabers in question are worth more than twice what I paid for the mystery boxes so the value is there.
2) If you are patient, you can reach out to US and they will give you customer service. It just is not instant at this time due to the world being in a mess right now. They shipped the wrong blades and they made it up. Just needed a few pictures for proof.

I doubt that either the Archon or the Bellicose will become a primary saber in my collection, though the Archon has much better odds, due to their construction. Not to say that they are poorly made, but as mentioned above in my Archon review they are both girthy sabers. They do not sit as comfortably in my hand as some of the other hilts I have, they both have covertec wheels, and they are both 'inspired by' sabers that I am currently at a loss to customize an make my own (they are too nice to approach this without some clear thought and a plan).

That said, I now like both quite a bit even if I will not be swinging them quite as much as some of my others. They are beautiful and as cosplay or costume items they are exquisite. Between the two the Archon has the better choke point with the narrower neck section while the Bellicose is mostly a uniform diameter with a flare at the pommel and the emitter.

I do apologize for my rambling, I tend to type these posts as a stream of conscience kinda thing. I am trying to stay positive and offer explanations as well as my reasons, which are purely mine and you are welcome to, if not encouraged, to disagree with me. If you have counter arguments, and we can be civil, I can be swayed to see other perspectives.

Starflicker
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 06:15:22 PM »

More pictures of the Archon v2.1

I think I might have the neck sections upside down now that I look at in daylight.

Circle Blade Plug LED active

Photon Blade on the Archon

I bought the parts for this blade from TCSS, cut the blade to length (32 inch) using a miter saw so there is some dust in the blade, glued the bullet tip on with super glue and inserted rolled cellophane (clear gift wrap from walmart in it). It is not flawless, but I made it and it is a Thick Walled blade so it is equivalent to the Heavy Grade from US.

With the thick walled (heavy grade) 32 inch blade the balance point is right at the end of the emitter which does not affect the saber's performance that way, but it does add a noticeable amount of weight.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 09:08:06 PM »

That's one impressive arsenal you've accumulated, Starflicker!  Congratulations for not only the awesome collection but also scoring an Archon AND a Bellicose in your MBs!  Just one word to be said: awesome!  My own 2-cents: the Archon v3.1 is my favorite saber, bar-none  Smiley

Point!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 09:15:17 PM »

I've passed over the Archon more than once.   I think I have made a grave error in judgement....

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: