Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: DIY Sound Fonts?  (Read 1348 times)
OMGrant
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: August 27, 2011, 05:17:37 AM »

I'd be surprised if this hasn't been asked yet, but I want to make my own sound fonts for the Obsidian.

Where do I start? - I understand you've locked things down to combat piracy and I'd need to be able to convert files to you're proprietary format.

Are there plans to allow people to make their own? This is really why I wanted to get an Obsidian in the first place.

-Grant

Novastar
Disgraced
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 110

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 08:57:38 AM »

I won't personally rule it totally out at this particular moment + post... but... the short-term answer for now is "no"...

A few things on that:

1.  The font store isn't even there yet... so, be patient.  Smiley
2.  No matter how you slice it, it's best if people trust the work I've done--it's not nearly as simplistic as most people think (which I've had to explain countless times over the years)
3.  It opens up the "can of worms" that anyone and everyone who starts making their own fonts... will want SUPPORT for such things (even if YOU say that "you don't")... and I do not know if that is something that can be fulfilled upon right now, given the volume/amount of Obsidians.
4.  There are over 60 fonts that I have built myself... and it is entirely possible that other artists will be able to have their work supported as well... so--rest assured, there will be a LOT of choice!  A lot!  Smiley
5.  Custom sounds for "widely available" sound boards is a fairly new concept... so... one step at a time!

The support alone for the Obsidian software launcher... is something that takes up time, logistics, work, management.  And it would be all too easy for people--while not knowing what they are doing, yet expecting it to "work"--install files incorrectly, have non-contiguous looping, and a host of other things... and then "blame the board", lol.

Finally, refer to this thread Alex posted:
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=1494.msg17004#msg17004

Again, I won't rule it 100% "out"... but for now... it's WAAAAYY too much, too soon.  Sorry.

Creator of the "BALANCE OF POWER" live staged-combat shows
Licensed & experienced sabre fencing instructor
Sound font engineer for "Crystal Focus" & Obsidian
Creator of the NSCFCDs (CF Sound CDs)
Co-Founder of Golden Gate Knights (SF)
Co-Creator of NCSCS (Nova & Caine's Saber Combat System)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: