Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Disney Changes Canon for the Lightsaber  (Read 19836 times)
hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« on: July 24, 2016, 04:56:23 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Rfed9kHtc&amp;index=6&amp;list=WL" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Rfed9kHtc&amp;index=6&amp;list=WL</a>

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 05:32:12 AM »

Huh, I was skeptical about it until they mentioned that once a crystal adopted a color it was stuck with it.
I'm more or less fine with this change, though I too miss the idea of synthetic crystals.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 05:53:10 AM »

Good post.

This doesn't change the canon as I have been reading in books preceding Disney's acquisition other than the claim that NO lightsabers use synthetic crystals. Just because Kylo uses a kyber crystal, does not mean other characters never used anything else. Darth Maul has a story line in place with synthetic crystals he forged. This neither demands that all red crystals be synthetic, nor does Kylo's kyber crystal demand that there can be no synthetics ever used. I won't be surprised if stories moving forward under Disney's canon don't follow this video's interpreted limitations of current Disney examples.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 06:00:47 AM »

I would say that this new version of canon has the potential to create some very embarrassing if not extremely tense moments between masters and students should the crystal reveal something about someone.  I mean...if I had the Force I can be almost SURE I'd end up with a purple or red saber.  Would that, in universe, mean my master turning on me or expelling me?  Or otherwise deciding I needed to be put through "counseling"?

Given the Jedi fallacy to think that a single act or a single moment is one's destiny FOREVER, I could easily see them condemning a student on that basis.  (And if there is such potential for darkness in a student, creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.)

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 06:15:43 AM »

I haven't viewed the Jedi as unforgiving, but rather trained to be cautious and aware of the dark side's ability to dominate the user. Jedi teach that everyone has this dark potential and should be wary of it. The example early on, as well as time and again, is that our hero force user is tempted by the dark side, therefore not perfect, while the villain embraces it unto their destruction. The film's ideology is a reflection simply meant to have us, the viewer, look at our own idea of morality and why we choose what we do. I've never seen it as a judgment of desire or feelings, but an aspiration of higher goals and training methods of resisting the dark side's destructive influences, like killing your pregnant wife. As such, I expect a padawan won't have a deep raging red saber. Perhaps one must embrace the dark ways before they can grow to such a level. We know a Jedi can fall, but a padawan that begins dark? Regardless of your temptations, you're not evil as soon as you get mad.

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 06:23:45 AM »

Also, Anakin killed the sand people that killed his mother in episode 2, right? Then he fought Dooku and lost his lightsaber, right? He constructed a blue saber after that, right?

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 06:34:47 AM »

I actually really like this explanation......though I wonder what it would mean for other colors like cyan/teal/turquoise, orange, or yellow as far as ever becoming canon?

I suppose cyan would mean a Jedi how falls somewhere in the middle and is likely to be a blend of physical fighter and in tune with the Force. Perhaps yellow would be a Jedi who relies more on other skills besides combat and the Force to serve the galaxy, like healers, teachers, and such. Not really sure about orange.....maybe a Dark Side "light"(as in less intense) user? Cheesy

Or perhaps orange is just for us renegades who say screw the rules!

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 06:46:24 AM »

I would find fault with the simplicity of saying purple is a mix of red and blue. I know it fools our eyes into seeing purple. In truth, light has energy and wavelengths. Mixing wavelengths do not typically make other wavelengths. Mixing light confuses our eyes.

So, orange energy is between red and yellow and can be mimicked with red and yellow blended. Maybe a dark sentinel? Purple is higher energy than blue and can be mimicked with red(low energy) and blue(still less energy than purple). Maybe a dark edge walking guardian or an extreme guardian super blue energy. Cyan is between and mimicked by green and blue. Maybe a guardular or a consudian? But, green is between blue and yellow, while blue and yellow mix to mimic white. Shall we think crystals in energy and wavelengths or human eye chemistry?

Shall we assume that Mace Windu walked the fine edge of light and dark or that he was the guardiest of the guardians with the highest energy of visible light?

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 07:43:00 AM »

I'm really not liking how ALL Sith end up having red blades, but the crystals ARE NOT synthetic. 

WTH!?

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 01:18:39 PM »

Yeah, I saw this video a week or so ago. I think having the user's Force potential dictate the color was a good explanation. It explains why in the Clone Wars episode where the younglings get their crystals, they are all blueish but produce blue and green blades. I also like how once a crystal produces that color it stays that color. It makes a crystal less like the unbeatable wand from Harry Potter, in that it won't change its allegiance (color) based on the current owner or the owner's Force affiliation.

I don't like the fact that non synthetic crystals have been essentially removed from canon. How do the Sith then impart their DS energy into it? How did Luke make his saber, and where did he get the crystal? What about Force users in exile during the imperial rule? If the caves were all closed and guarded, hoW did they make their sabers?

It tries to tie up loose ends, but it goes too far, and it ends up creating too many other ones.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 01:35:04 PM »

I actually think the color thing is stupid.  "They're all white but become a color based on the person."  Yeah, no, bad idea.  Just my opinion, of course.

However, it still doesn't explain why all Jedi in Attack of the Clones except Mace Windu had blue or green lightsabers.  If each of those Jedi "imbued" their crystal with their essence and they all came out either blue or green, that means that each of those Jedi are pretty bland archetypes.  There are no yellow or orange, even shades of blue or green, and only one purple.  (and that was only because it's Samuel L. Jackson's favorite color)  This new explanation also makes all of the Sith cookie cutter archetypes as well.

No synthetic crystals is another dumb idea.  Even Luke's lightsaber was supposedly constructed with a synthetic crystal, because crystals were even more rare than they once had been.  So, he made a synthetic one.  However, it now appears that, in the middle of a war, he went trekking off to find a crystal.  Nice.  Roll Eyes

So, yeah, it's not so good for me.  But then, I don't think something is so just because Disney says it is.  I can choose to acknowledge whichever explanation I want to, and I like the old one better.

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 03:04:03 PM »

Signature banner by DarthScrub

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 03:15:43 PM »

Yeah I think it's more reasonable to have a variety for dark side users too, like a nice DVA or PO blade could say a lot about the user and his POV of the dark side; as we've seen different philosophies and execution of the dark side. And again less cookie cutter.

Previously, forging a synth crystal was no small feat requiring the correct skill, material and processes as well as force abilities to make one. It also keeps that element of individuality to the saber and it's owner.

I do like that the crystal takes on a color based on the force user, but could use some flexibility.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 04:10:50 PM »

Actually, the crystals taking a color based on the Force user makes more sense with Synthetic crystals.  Previously, Dark Side users would meditate and imbue their synthetic crystals with Dark Side energies while "baking" them.  Disney could easily have exploited this to create a reason behind some Sith blades being redder than others.  It could be indicative of how much DS energy was channeled into the crystal during the forging.  It would also explain why Kylo's crystal cracked.  Trying to forge a crystal with conflicting emotions led to an imperfect crystal.  But, leave it to Disney to miss the obvious.  (all my opinion, of course)

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 04:13:39 PM »

HA!  I like that. Smiley

Though, of course, reality is a relative term here.  Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: