Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Creative Process Game: Superhero  (Read 5656 times)
Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« on: December 27, 2012, 04:16:57 AM »

The game is fairly simple, we each (those participating) take the various steps to create a superhero, the best one in the end (determined by common vote), wins...but through the process we all gain some entertainment value and time well spent in the creative structure aspect.

As we take the steps there maybe only one or two or there many be lots playing along, others can join in later, playing a bit of catch up...if it all works out well we could have a super team Smiley

Drawings may follow...mmm comicbook art...

So let me start the process...

We will look a a common starting point...how about options?

Non-powered adventurer...a person who is human but is driven, talented, or in other ways rises above the mundane potential of the normal limits...something significant and life changing happens in this character's life to spark the change.

Non-powered simply means no powers that exist on their own merit...no eye beams, bird wings, force fields, body made of fire, etc.

Some iconic non-powered types...Batman, Punisher, Nightwing, Nick Fury, Green Arrow, Black Widow, etc.

Some could argue that Iron Man fits this billing, as he is just a man without his suit.

or

Single power...a select power that is not a power pool of variety but rather a singular power...example: flight, super strength, x-ray vision, eye beams, etc.

No the elemental, TK, of magic that allow the character to basically do anything.

Most of these characters tend to be focused on the power creating a theme.

If we are taking votes I am leaning towards the non-powered but would be open for either or another if these do not entice the process  Smiley

Light side points please Smiley

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 11:47:12 PM »

The game is fairly simple, we each (those participating) take the various steps to create a superhero, the best one in the end (determined by common vote), wins...but through the process we all gain some entertainment value and time well spent in the creative structure aspect.

As we take the steps there maybe only one or two or there many be lots playing along, others can join in later, playing a bit of catch up...if it all works out well we could have a super team Smiley

Drawings may follow...mmm comicbook art...

So let me start the process...

We will look a a common starting point...how about options?

Non-powered adventurer...a person who is human but is driven, talented, or in other ways rises above the mundane potential of the normal limits...something significant and life changing happens in this character's life to spark the change.

Non-powered simply means no powers that exist on their own merit...no eye beams, bird wings, force fields, body made of fire, etc.

Some iconic non-powered types...Batman, Punisher, Nightwing, Nick Fury, Green Arrow, Black Widow, etc.

Some could argue that Iron Man fits this billing, as he is just a man without his suit.

or

Single power...a select power that is not a power pool of variety but rather a singular power...example: flight, super strength, x-ray vision, eye beams, etc.

No the elemental, TK, of magic that allow the character to basically do anything.

Most of these characters tend to be focused on the power creating a theme.

If we are taking votes I am leaning towards the non-powered but would be open for either or another if these do not entice the process  Smiley

Ok I will take the lead and offer two character starters to get the process going.

Non-powered adventurer...Shadowfist...Cambodian-American, Siev Meng Barton, grew up in LA as an orphan on the streets...later he was adopted by a local Buddhist temple and given the basics to start his life...he found out that the head monk knew his parents and in particular his mother...gaining information about his family he travels to Cambodia and finds that his mother and father are still live but are slaves to an ancient clan of merchants dealing in occult and supernatural items...he was abandoned because he was promised by contract to one of the clan leaders to become a slave in the fighter pits...Siev Meng is captured and sent to the pits...his parents are put to death for lying and denying the clan elder...and he becomes a killer, driven by his overwhelming grief...the clan sells him to an assassins guild to better his potential and keep him from killing the clan elders who came to fear him...he is pushed to the furthest range of his mind, body, and spirit becoming more than most could hope to achieve...he is sent out on many missions, but one particular mission he is sent kill the monk who got him off the streets in LA...the monk reveals that he is in fact his Grandfather and accepts his death as Buddha's will, but passes along a secret scroll to Siev Meng with hidden techniques belonging to his family...Siev Meng takes his grandfather's life at his request as surely they both would be killed otherwise, and he begins to doubt his place in the world...no grief, as this emotion was beaten out of him long ago, it was the smile and calm of his grandfather in passing...he goes back and begins the process of setting up an end to the assassin's guild...using slow poison (a small part found within the family scroll) he causes enough damage to bring the guild to its knees, burns the compound to the ground, and leaves for the US...later he finds that there were many assassins beyond the compound that he had never met...they hunt him now, led by a mystic with great power.

Shawdowfist lives by his wits, training, and experience...he no longer kills anyone, though he will maim and disable a truly evil person leaving them for authorities or their own to deal with...he seeks to become a point of light and find some measure of grace in his life. The secret scroll revealed a long history as chemists, dealing with herbs and natural items to create healing soups, poisons, and other processes that he uses to toughen his skin/flesh, to deaden pain receptors, heighten his senses, and to create aspects that seem to be mystical like a poison touch, palm strike, but it all comes down to science and chemistry.

He self studies modern chemistry as well as ancient herbology from many cultures.

His goal is to redeem his place within the universe by finding balance in good deeds compared to the evil he has been part of.

He owns a series of herbalist shops in several large cities, allowing him to travel and deal with evil as it rears its ugly head.

(I will follow up with a single powered type after dinner  Smiley )

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 01:46:31 AM »

Single powered type...Grenade....Carl Jones, born to average parents in an average small town in the American mid-west, Carl discovered he was different when he was caught in a sudden thunderstorm and struck by lightning...he died.  Then an hour later he got better.  He had no memory of who he was but he was better, much better...taller, stronger, faster than he was before...and then there was the boom.  When he got angry he found his emotion created a buildup within him and then he would explode.

Well not exactly explode, but he was the center of an explosion.  The blast centered from his position and expanded in all directions equally.

Through the process of being tested it was found that this blast maxed out at the same value as 10 lbs C4 with a 30' radius...he found that he could create small blasts, but even these center off his body and are omni-directional, creating a concussive blast wave.

Grenade was born.  He served with the US government until an accidental secondary fire killed his two best friends.  He is currently working as a hero for hire.

BenPass
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 690

Jedi Consular

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 03:31:47 AM »

I would like to take part in this once the wedding and honeymoon are over. I'm trying to keep up with my reading here, but my posting is going to be almost nil until everything has settled down again. I like the idea though.

May the Force be with me? Sure! It can come along!
"Lux triumphat super obscurum" - "Light triumphs over darkness"

Genkaku Sho`shyk
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 141

only the force, nothing more, nothing less

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 03:51:35 AM »

i have a character.. i have 3 potential characters in this actually, but i will stay with the 1 for now...
my character is a single power... Psychokinesis.. the ability to freeze, levitate, and move objects...
the downside to this power is that over use in long periods can cause massive migraines and multiple personalities for short "blackout" periods

i will have a full character work out within the next 24 hours.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 04:05:57 AM »

i have a character.. i have 3 potential characters in this actually, but i will stay with the 1 for now...
my character is a single power... Psychokinesis.. the ability to freeze, levitate, and move objects...
the downside to this power is that over use in long periods can cause massive migraines and multiple personalities for short "blackout" periods

i will have a full character work out within the next 24 hours.

Sounds like fun, keep in mind to avoid the everything in one power...be sure to define the power and not be a complete team in yourself  Smiley

I like the weakness factor, nice touch.

Genkaku Sho`shyk
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 05:03:05 AM »

well, the freeze, levitate and move ..... all kinda stem from the ability to ... control.. matter itself... so those "abilities" are more like, descriptions of what psychokinesis is capable of doing...  not "different" powers.. i got the idea from a game... whee you were a lab rat of some sort, and could find and inject via be-eject.. 3 different types of chemicals.. one game pyrokenisis powers.. another gave telekinesis powers (blasting energy waves and mind reading)... and the 3rd gave the Psychokinesis (moving, levitating and freezing/holding matter still)

i am not using the fire.. nor the mind reading/power blasts of telekinesis, .. the most i would be able to do is take objects and hurl them, not power toss them.... mostly holding people or other objects, catching objects... re-directing objects.. such as bullets.... so they miss me by just enough.. these are all things that would take massive concentration from my character to do them with psychokinesis.. but they are still things that could be done.. say in a group effort.. where i "shield" others from projectiles while they do their powers.. or catch someone falling...

just a few examples.. nothing to crazy powerful.. and there are major drawbacks the more the power and concentration needed to do something.. like make an entire hospital full of people stop still in time for at most 1 minute... this would be something that could only be done while moving slowly and massive focus or sitting still in the general area of the "time flux" zone you intend to create... again this would also have major drawbacks afterwards in the form of out of control multiple personalities, blackout, and indescribable pain from brain busting migraines...

in severe cases or extreme prolonged focus and use of this power can cause a sort-of.. "short circuit" effect.. causing his mind to go out of control itself and create a field of high level energy around him.. almost instantly causing normal humans and weak minded individuals brains to explode violently...  THIS IS A MAJOR SITUATION THAT IS ALMOST ENTIRELY AVOIDED DUE TO ITS DANGER TO OTHERS.... will have a background story to explain this effect later.. it is not a power mind you.. but a sever set back extremely frowned on by myself.. lol, so i would hope my character never has it happen to him again...

so to fully clarify.. my characters single power would be control over matter, or gravity ... if you will, ... witch covers, levitation to many degrees, stopping and holding matter to many degrees, even personal and group levitation is possible...

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 04:45:32 AM »

I read this earlier, wanted to come back later after thinking on it...some of your terms threw me off I think...would you say a limited version of Magneto with magnetism or more Jedi?

If I am getting your description right, you can manipulate objects at range with some measure of strength...the more weight and distance involved the more strain and thus pain/pressure?

Sound about right?

It is interesting to me  Smiley

Genkaku Sho`shyk
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 07:25:59 AM »

If I am getting your description right, you can manipulate objects at range with some measure of strength...the more weight and distance involved the more strain and thus pain/pressure?

more jedi-like... so i guess you could say while my character idea would be able to throw or pull objects.. he would not be able to "project" them at high velocities... much like the jedi power battles that you would see yoda in.. stoping or catching and redirecting objects of all shapes and sizes... like the battle with dooku.. or the battle with lord sidious in the senate.. not so much a magnetism as magneto has, but more a control over the matter of said object he wishes to manipulate...

for a bit better idea of this.. i will try to find some game play video of the game i got the idea from.. old PS1 game.. called "galerians"... it was a survival horror.. themed in a setting that you were a lab rat and could use brain powers due to some chemical that they would inject into you.. 1 gave pyrokinetic powers.. another gave powerful telekinetic blasts.. and the last gave psychokinetic powers..  all of witch you had to be careful off using... as you had t have special ills/medication to lessen the "short circuit" effect... use some chemicals.. abuse your powers... suffer the consequences.. lol. i am going for more of a genetic power.. but it still has its drawbacks

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 03:45:47 AM »

Got a name for said superhero?

General look?

Cheesy

Genkaku Sho`shyk
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 05:05:18 AM »

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj544/simpledan429/ultra%20saber%20pics%20and%20videos/tumblr_mcmpzg8BdV1rbm0olo1_400_zps29da6718.gif

this would be about the approximation of what he would look like... the clothes.. as for what he is going there.. this is the beginning of a "short circuit"

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 04:29:44 AM »

Since there are only a couple of interested folks how about another process?

Let us come up with an origin or a name or a power or other than we would use for a common source to make a character concept?

Just for fun.

A paragraph or so to define the character should do.

I would think to start it off with a common origin...

(please try to be as original as possible Smiley )

(common origin)

A child of the system, bounced from home to home and back to the orphanage when situations went South, then on the street as a runaway in the big city.

While still young this child found the streets particularly harsh during an ugly winter cold snap and broke into an old warehouse.

Within the warehouse were a number of unusual machines, one was buzzing with a low humm and more importantly a constant source of warmth.

Using this warehouse as a safe place this child would trek out for the rounds...begging, soup kitchen, day old bread, fish/veg market, etc...all in all the days past without much issue.

Until the fire...while sleeping in the warehouse there was a thunderous explosion, while flashes of light, sounds of a struggle, and then the child got stuck under the large machine...with a foul green fluid dripping out onto the child...then unconsciousness takes the child.

When the child wakes it is to the white of a hospital bed.

And...

Grin

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 06:34:23 AM »

John Smith's first clear memory was the hospital room.

That stark white room, the nurses, the doctors, the smells, the sounds.

When he woke he had flashes of his past but nothing precise or complete, just bits and pieces.

As he healed he found that the parts he recalled were not all that good to begin with, so he just let them fade.

After a period of time John was introduced to a scientist, Professor Karlof.  The professor offered for John to come live for a while with him and his assistants at the Facility; a place where unique people were sent to live and be better understood.

Life at the facility was good for John.  He made friends, got to study many subjects, and was the center of attention...especially when his skin turned neon green.  Soon after this event John discovered the full extent of his change, he could alter molecular bonds with his touch.

Any contact with his skin was all he needed to modify molecular bonds.  The scientists worked with him to test the ranges and applications of his new found ability as well as how to meet his altered bodies' needs; extensive mineral supplements.

Over the next six years john studied general science, chemistry, and physics in an effort to better understand what he could do and how to develop his ability.

John lives at the downtown offices of the Facility, where he works with a team of agents who deal with the unusual and bizarre situations that pop up more often than not.

When at rest he practices his skills with his power by applying it to sculpture, which he auctions off for local charities.

His agent name is Oz...the Wizard of Oz   Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: