Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Ultimate Ultrasabers Emerald Consular Review  (Read 2710 times)
StarWarsForce
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -106

Light or Dark Points? You choose!

« on: August 14, 2016, 06:24:38 AM »

Ultimate Ultrasabers Emerald Consular Review

I have posted a video and a written review with pictures for my review of Ultrasabers Emerald Consular! Both the video and the following written review with pictures say the exact same thing. So you get to choose how you want to experience my review--by video, or by words and pictures. I know people might prefer different things. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVrHEpbCKyM&feature=youtu.be

Introduction

When I first discovered Ultrasabers, one of the first sabers that caught my eye and spoke to me was the Consular (that was before I knew it was a Qui-Gon replica). Although the Consular wasn’t the first saber I bought (that title goes to the slightly cheaper Dominix LE v4), I was extremely keen on purchasing it after getting hooked by the quality of US’s products. When I found out it was Qui-Gon’s saber, well, that was even better as I love the character and how Liam Neeson portrayed it.

Specs

RGBW Emerald Driver
Obsidian V4 Sound
32” Midgrade Blade
Silver Non-Illuminated AV Switch with Round Tip
Standard Shroud Finish
And I also added a Covertec Clip
Retention Screw Placement is exactly centered on the back shroud side of the saber

For those of you interested in more detailed measurements…

Total Length: 11.75” (29.85cm)
Emitter Length: 2.375” (6.03cm)
Body Length: 8.25” (20.96cm)
Shroud Length: 8.125” (20.64cm)
Pommel Length: 1.125” (2.86cm)
Gripping Length between shroud and raised slope part of emitter: 0.375” (0.95cm)
Gripping Length between shroud including raised slope part of emitter: 0.6875” (11/16”) (1.75cm)

(You’re welcome, meter users….Cheesy)

Emitter

I cannot say enough good things about this emitter. I like how the flanged emitter is subtle and has a flair of that silver aluminum. It is perfect to grip right underneath the silver aluminum or at the base of the emitter (I tend to grip it at the base of the emitter more often). Add the fact that it is MHS Compatible, and we have a winner. 10/10.

Body

The body features two sets of grooves, thinner near the emitter and thicker near the pommel. I really like this feature of the saber—the thinner groves make for a better grip than the lower ones in my opinion, so it works out practically that way, too. The shroud is beautiful. It fits snugly on the saber, and all the edges are smooth. It’s a bit surprising how the shroud is machined precisely to line up with the grooves. I also think that the silver AV switch complements the shroud and emitter nicely. I will say that the body is rather plain, which I’m not the biggest fan of. Without the shroud, the all black finish is a bit boring, but the different grooves help it out. With the shroud, the side of the saber that is all shroud is very plain. These are things that I might fix with a little paint on the shroud (or a V2 shroud…please Cheesy?), and perhaps a little sandpaper on the hilt itself (or a Consular V2 with some silver aluminum grooves). Another minor pain is the covertec wheel. Putting the shroud back on requires a little patience as you have to line up the covertec wheel hole in the hilt with the covertec wheel hole in the shroud, and you have to hold both parts steady while you put the covertec wheel on. However, its placement on the back of the hilt is nice and generally unobtrusive. 8/10.

Pommel

This is a great pommel. I like how it is midsized, with plenty of holes to allow for a resonant sound to come from the speaker. The stepped machinery is a nice touch, and this pommel works great on other sabers as well. 10/10.

Wielding

This thing is fun to wield. Yes, wielding it without the shroud is much easier (and thus, more fun)—it’s lighter (probably even lighter my Dominix LE v4), thinner, you get better access to the grips on the hilt, and it’s more comfortable without the shroud. It’s pretty fantastic to wield without the shroud. However, wielding the saber with the shroud is nice, too. I like gripping the saber right at the base of the emitter in that sweet spot before the shroud starts (it’s where I grab all my sabers, at the base of the emitter). It’s just enough room for my mid-sized hands. I will admit, though, that it occasionally gets uncomfortable (but that’s minor). I can compensate for that by turning the saber around and having my four non-thumb fingers on the hilt ridges. I find it wields easier this way. The 11.75” length of the hilt is pretty much Goldilocks for one or two handers—I like wielding one handed, and I don’t find it too long. There’s also enough room to comfortable put two hands on it as well, which I like to use for powerful strikes. 9/10.

Electronics

Being able to choose whatever color, pulse, and FOC I want? YES! Being able to have different fonts to cycle through? YES! Maybe the only thing is that I perhaps wish I got the RGBA Driver. I ordered two Emerald sabers at the same time, both with RGBW Drivers. It would have been cool to have the Amber diode—it will have to wait for another saber. But I’m extremely happy with the electronics. 10/10.

Best Things about the Consular: It’s a Qui-Gon Replica (and Qui-Gon’s awesome), it’s comfortable and great to wield (especially with the emitter and body grips), it’s completely MHS Compatible, and the customization of the shroud being on or off essentially makes it two sabers (one with Jedi Cloak on for day to day activities, one without for the serious dueling that makes you feel like a Jedi Ninja Master)

Not the Best Things about the Consular: A Bit Plain Looking (a V2 Shroud or some silver aluminum grooves on the hilt itself would be AWESOME), it looks better with the shroud but it wields better without the shroud (I wish I could have the best of both worlds), Covertec Wheel can be a minor pain

Overall: 9.4/10. Fantastic. Would I buy it again? If I didn’t already have it, absolutely. But I don’t see a Consular staff in my future (although I’m sure it’d work very well as a staff).

Hope you enjoyed!

Sabers I own (in order of how I got them):
Dominix LE V4--AS--Stunt
Consular--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Manticore CE--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Crimson Reaper--Tri AS--V4 Sound (Free Premium GB)
Dark War Glaive Body/Crimson Reaper Emitter/Crimson Mantis Pommel Mix--BR--Stunt (Free Premium GB)
Dark Prophecy V3--DVA--V4 Sound
Initiate LE V4--CG--Lite Sound (2nd Summer Raffle Win, 4th Prize, 2016)

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 01:41:19 PM »

Great review!  DS point awarded . . .

I'm looking hard at the Consular myself right now.

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 01:49:23 PM »

Wonderful review! The Consular is one of the most glorious sabers, I guess it's just plain joy when it's fully loaded with features!

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 06:50:28 PM »

Nice. Yeah I now need a Consular Tongue Would have to be somewhat canon colors for me though so Consular Green blade like always

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 07:09:37 PM »

Fantastic review! ... point to you SWF! You pretty much nailed it and I agree with the pros and cons you pointed out. This is certainly in my top favourite hilts ... a bit simple yet so smooth and classic. And yes I enjoy Qui-Gon too and like that it's modelled after his lightsaber.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Gamble
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -254

Evil Only Has One Face

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 12:45:28 AM »

Liked your review congrats on getting the consular enjoyed the photos good luck and good job

Guardian CE W/Obsidian V4 - Guardian Blue
Prophecy V3 W/Obsidian Lite - Arctic Blue
Consular W/Obsidian V4 - Consular Green
Sentinel V4 W/Windows Stunt - Fire Orange

Lord Japarco
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 479

Keep your concentration here and now,...

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 02:17:55 PM »

I saw your video yesterday...well done. I love the consular, and Qui Gonn is one of my favorite characters... The DVA looked a bit like blue with the lights on. Does it seem blueish in person? It is a color I think I will consider for the future... Congrats for your saber and the video. MTFBW... +1

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/Japarco/media/Sentinel%20V4/ffc14996-49bb-425b-9122-f4cd848e3103_zpszdtmyzgk.jpg.html
My Lightsabers:
Sentinel V4 - Tri Consular Green - Obsidian V4
The Guardian - Guardian Blue - Silver Flash on Clash - Obsidian V3 (2nd Summer Raffle 2016 2nd Place Prize)
Wife's Lightsaber: Prophecy V3 - Arctic Blue - Obsidian V3

StarWarsForce
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -106

Light or Dark Points? You choose!

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 02:06:32 AM »

I saw your video yesterday...well done. I love the consular, and Qui Gonn is one of my favorite characters... The DVA looked a bit like blue with the lights on. Does it seem blueish in person? It is a color I think I will consider for the future... Congrats for your saber and the video. MTFBW... +1

The picture makes it look bluer than it actually is. The color does have hints of blue, but it is definitely a purple color similar to indigo. With the Emerald Driver feature, I can quickly compare it with Guardian Blue and regular Violet Amethyst, and it is neither of these colors as it's somewhere in the middle.

I just recently ordered a Dark Prophecy in Dark Violet Amethyst (I wasn't looking for a blue saber or a lighter purple), so maybe that can tell you how much I like this purple color.

Sabers I own (in order of how I got them):
Dominix LE V4--AS--Stunt
Consular--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Manticore CE--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Crimson Reaper--Tri AS--V4 Sound (Free Premium GB)
Dark War Glaive Body/Crimson Reaper Emitter/Crimson Mantis Pommel Mix--BR--Stunt (Free Premium GB)
Dark Prophecy V3--DVA--V4 Sound
Initiate LE V4--CG--Lite Sound (2nd Summer Raffle Win, 4th Prize, 2016)

JediApprenticeChris37
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 140

Light side points PLEASE and stop with dark points

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 10:38:01 PM »

you have a great looking saber there and its my favorite in my collection

sabers I own:
Prophecy v3  <---Guardian Blue w/V4 sound
Bellicose <--- Sentinel Yellow V3 sound
Dark Menace <---Guardian Blue  V4 sound
Manticore CE <---Emerald Driver and V4 sound
Consular <--- Adegan silver with Quick disconnects
Electrum Wind <---DVA with V4 sound

wishlist: Dark Prophecy V3

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 11:44:57 AM »

Hey StarWarsForce!

Smashing review. Smiley  Well done.

You've got a beautiful saber there.  I want a Consular pretty badly myself.   Roll Eyes

A Consular LE hmmm?  

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: