Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Obsidian Review  (Read 1841 times)
CbrS*
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -23

Fear is my ally!

« on: July 29, 2012, 12:55:55 PM »

Hello everyone!

Since anything that comes from Ulrasabers gets a review i thought do one on the Obsidian soundboard!

So, here we go!

My Expectations
When i first saw a video with a saber with this soundboard i kind of did not believe it. The sounds were good and even on the spot, but i was thinking of maybe editing or something else. Note that this was when i was researching, and very careful of assumptions. After my first grab bag saber i thought it was time to make the gamble!

The Soundboard
This piece of technology is so well done, that i am truly amazed. There is so much sound coming from the saber which makes it so real. If i stand next to my dad when hes going nuts with my saber i could not tell that the sound is coming from the pommel. Its so well done that it actually sounds like the blade itself is humming, and when something is hit it INSTANTLY reacts and gives you a hit sound. Now these are the normal settings, but more of that in the next chapter. Also the sound is very clear, no distortions in it whatsoever. The hum loops perfectly, seamless, and the swing sounds sounds are versitile enough not to get bored. The Hit sounds have this also, very versatile and clear. The only downside i found was the fact that there is no real easy way to mute the sound, or lower the volume. This can be fixed however with some tape to lower the volume, or a non-vented pommel to almost completely mute it.

Obsidian Launcher
Now this is what makes this soundboard even more unique! A smart and easy to understand program to switch soundfonts. So not do you only get the standard Obsidian sounds with your saber, you can actually swap them or even mix them with other sound fonts available! I had to watch the video with Emory Again (seriously i thought that was his last name, but it isnt xD) where he explains how to do this. I stumbled upon one small difficulty. At some point he starts to talk about a certain type of the board, but the board itself does not tell you what it is, unless connected. After some searching on the forum i found out that soundboard with Flash on Clash (FoC) are different that the ones that don't have this. I was a little confused, but nothing a little forum search could not handle. The Interface of the launcher is simple and easy to understand. Pick your files, put them in the right places. You can even preview the sound before putting them on. Another feature which is great are the sensitivity settings. While i have not been playing with those because i cannot really make out how, its really great that its there!

My Opinion
This is a truly remarkable piece of technology in such small size. I was blown away by how real the saber gets with this, for me it more than worth my money on it!

I hope this review helps people who were like me and not sure if it would be worth getting. To have more insight in this is always a good thing. Obsidian might cost a few cents, and its quite the jump one makes from non-sound to sound. So i hope that i helped with this review to clear up some that might otherwise have been left in the dark.

Have fun, and keep on sabering!

CbrS*
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:39:14 AM by Deep » Logged

Let's talk about fight
Let's talk about misery
Let's talk about hate
There's no way
Take over of power
While forgetting reality
Spill blood on fire
For life and beyond grave

CbrS*
Knight Lieutenant

Fear is my ally!

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 02:02:59 PM »

it saddens me a bit to see this topic being vieved over 30 times, and 0 comments =( Anyway can someone please correct my stupid title typo? thanks!

CbrS*

Let's talk about fight
Let's talk about misery
Let's talk about hate
There's no way
Take over of power
While forgetting reality
Spill blood on fire

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 02:16:49 PM »

yeah your first obsidian saber definately changes how you feel about them. at first i was fine with stunt sabers, but having them with sound just makes it a blast

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Big Boss
Mandalore
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -323

Galactic basic you nerfherder! Do you speak it!?

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 02:40:02 PM »

I corrected your typos. Nice review you pretty much coverage the board quite thoroughly. Point  Wink

One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss.-BIG BASS

Deep
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 701

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 12:40:13 AM »

Nice review!

Title fixed as well.

Emory "Deep" Harris
www.ultrasabers.com

CbrS*
Knight Lieutenant

Fear is my ally!

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 12:43:26 AM »

Thanks everyone, and especialy ultrasabers for these awesome feats. You turned someone who was very sceptical about the sound into someone who will probably never order one without anymore Smiley

Thanks Deep, your words mean much to me =D and also thanks for the fix of the title hah!

CbrS*

Let's talk about fight
Let's talk about misery
Let's talk about hate
There's no way
Take over of power
While forgetting reality
Spill blood on fire

Abraxus
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -32

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 02:32:30 AM »

The first time I saw an UltraSaber, I remember being SO impressed by the look, and feel of it.  But, as soon as I heard it ignited for the first time, I knew I had to have one of my own!  I saw a comment made by one of the regulars, in another thread, about how each time he ignites his saber, he is a 10 year old kid again.  I agree with that wholeheartedly.

My Collection
------------
Dark Prophecy (Consular Green)
Archon V2 (Blazing Red/Arctic Blue)
Raven (Violet Amethyst)
Initiate V3 (Guardian Blue)

Stephen Strange
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -40

The Netherlands, The Hague

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 07:12:54 AM »

Was busy at work last night.. only sees it now. I have to agree fully. It sounds much better and louder then I had expected when I got my first one.

I only swapped one sound though.. for my Sith blade.

¶█╬╬╬╬╬╬(o)█|{███████████████████████████████████████)

Dark War Glaive (BR, Dark Catalyst Pommel)
Guardian (GB, Dark War Glaive Pommel)
Bellicose (CG, Bronze)

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 12:05:17 PM »

Great review.  I can't stress enough how highly I recommend Obsidian sound, you get SO much for the money.  It's loud as heck, and has great sound quality.  Add in the fact that you can change sound fonts, and you have a very well rounded board.

Before you get your first Obsidian saber you're like, "meh, how good could sound be?"  Once you light that sucker up though, you're just hooked.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: