Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Disassembly?  (Read 3846 times)
SirHenryMF
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 4

« on: December 31, 2010, 08:43:06 AM »

Hi all,
I was looking to disassemble two of my hilts and switch the LEDs/electronics between the two. I know how I'd get out the battery pack and LED but how do I remove the switch exactly?

Thanks guys!

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 08:49:47 AM »

The switch is pressure fit, so it has to be pried out with a very delicate hand.  I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you have spare switches lying around.

SirHenryMF
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 10:18:08 AM »

Ah~ I see, thanks for the quick response Ultra!

sjorsjo91
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 02:09:13 PM »

Please be careful mate, i unscrewed the switch from my dominix and separated both ends of the wires attached in the progress. I reattached it to a new switch and now i might end up building a custom saber around it but please be carefull.

Custom Dominix
Custom TFU2 Promo
Custom SI Yoshimitsu
Custom Starkiller (destroyed)
Anakin UltraFX stunt

Oz Drift3r
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 04:22:39 PM »

Please be careful mate, i unscrewed the switch from my dominix and separated both ends of the wires attached in the progress. I reattached it to a new switch and now i might end up building a custom saber around it but please be carefull.

Oh dear Tongue you should have asked that why we're here... the switches are not threaded-in, just pressure fit (pushed in real tight). I pried mine out very carefully without damaging the hilt or switch.

I used a large screw driver at first to begin levering the switch out. Then i used pointy (long nose) pliers with the pliers opened and tucked under the switch. I pried it out applying equal pressure to both sides of the switch. no worries!

Phantom V2 - RGB
Initiate V2 - Violet Amethyst
Liberator V2 - Under Construction

sjorsjo91
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 10:31:14 PM »

ah well now i might even try to build my very own pvc saber with ultrasabers led and batterypack as its heart

Custom Dominix
Custom TFU2 Promo
Custom SI Yoshimitsu
Custom Starkiller (destroyed)
Anakin UltraFX stunt

zach skywalker
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 10:05:36 PM »

Be verryy careful

Yoda"Try not do or do not"
Luke"You want the imposible"

DarkJedi
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 08:50:42 PM »

I safely removed the switch.

Now, how do I detach the wires from the button so that I can remove the led and battery units...?

vash1128
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 09:14:18 PM »

The wires are soldered into the switch and protected with heat shrink.  If you have a soldering iron, you could cut off the heat shrink and unsolder the joints, or if you're lazy, just snip the wires, remove the LED, battery pack, and switch, and resolder everything once you've switched the electronics.

I (successfully) switched the electronics in two of my sabers recently, so PM me if you have any specific questions.  I will say that I've had quite a bit of soldering experience, and it can be quite an ordeal (and dangerous) if you don't have the right tools.  I happen to have a nice soldering iron, heat shrink, scrap wire, etc. lying around, but any radio shack or electronics store should have them.

Caine
Disgraced
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -129

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 09:37:34 PM »

Your soldering iron can also melt thru the heatshrink and it will easily come off the connections. Then, just pull the heatshrink off the wires. You will have to re-tin the wire ends, but it won't be messy at all.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: