Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Unexpected Referrals, or.....You're welcome Emery!  (Read 2531 times)
Abraxus
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -32

« on: May 11, 2014, 01:33:16 AM »

Just for a little background to this tale, this is not the first time this has happened.  Every time I take one of my sabers somewhere, this same scenario plays out.

Recently, I lost yet another set screw for one of my sabers (my Raven this time), and I can never remember what those things are called when I go shopping for them, let alone what size is the right one once I find them.  So, I remove the blade, and holder from the saber, put the saber in a bag (because let's face it....the Raven LOOKS like a real weapon, and these days you don't want to be mistaken for a troublemaker), and headed off to the hardware store.  I figured as long as I had the saber with me, if I found the part, I could put it into the saber and know for sure that I had the right one.  I find that reduces trips back and forth to the store.  Anyway, I end up on the "nuts & bolts" section, trying to find the set screws myself.  There was a guy there who was trying to get people to sign up for solar (and not having much luck, I might add), which he attempted to run past me as well.  I told him I had solar already (I really DO), and went about my business.  

I finally found the drawer with the set screws, but they did not have the right size.  I had a lot of other things to do, so after determining that I would not be able to fix my saber today, I rolled my cart towards the "Landscaping Supplies" section.  On the way, I passed the "solar" guy again, and he noticed the saber in the cart.  His mouth literally hung open for a moment, and then he asked "Is that a light saber?".  

I told him it was, and where I got it.  He looked it over and told me that he was more of a Lord of the Rings kind of collector, but Star Wars was right up there in his interests, and he always wanted a light saber.  He handed it back to me, and I could tell he wanted to ask if it made sounds, and I was kind of waiting to see how long it would take.  Finally, I was nice and hit the button with the BlackStar sound font blaring.  He was blown away, especially when I told him about the customization available with the Obsidian board.  I also told him about the new Emerald board, which I did not have, but that it was an option if he decided to get one for himself.  I told him about different blades, charging ports, quick-release LED options....basically everything A to Z about what you could get from UltraSabers!  By the time I finished telling him all of this, he was already on his phone, going to the UltraSabers website to look for himself.  I got the impression that a new customer had just been added to the roles.

With our conversation concluded, and his sense of awe somewhere in a galaxy far, far away, I continued on the the Landscape Supply section.  Once I got there, I was trying to decide what stepping stone design I wanted for my front yard.  When I found what I was looking for, I put a few of them into my cart.  Before I could head down to the register, I saw a large guy to my left, and he was looking my way.  This guy could have stepped right out of an ad for Harley Davidson.  Heavily built, big bushy beard, various piercings and tattoos.  For a moment, I was a little worried...until I noticed what he was looking at.  

Before I could take another step, he said "Oh my GOD!  Is that StarKiller's light saber?".  Needless to say, this guy was ready to buy one just at the sight of my Raven.  He told me how he finds things at hardware stores that kind of look like saber parts, and fashions his own faux sabers, but this was some next level stuff for him!  After repeating the conversation (almost verbatim) that I had just had with the solar guy, I left thinking that UltraSabers had just rung up not one, but two new customers today, and that was after only 20 minutes at the store, and without even really trying!  Imagine what kind of business one could drum up walking around the store for an hour with a saber in ones cart!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 01:38:59 AM by Abraxus » Logged

My Collection
------------
Dark Prophecy (Consular Green)
Archon V2 (Blazing Red/Arctic Blue)
Raven (Violet Amethyst)
Initiate V3 (Guardian Blue)

RossdaBoss
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -7

"Much to learn you still have"

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 12:29:37 PM »

Absolutely! Who wouldn't want a lightsaber?

Sabers I own: Shock Le in arctic blue with obsidian
Wish list:
Dark shock
Arbiter neck(part anodized gold)
Dark arbiter neck
Dark and light points please, keep it around -1 to 1
"If only you knew the power of the dark side"  Vader

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 03:49:25 PM »

Things like this tend to happen  Wink Whenever I take my sabers somewhere I get asked about them, silly me tends to forget to take the large stack of US business cards I have with me however  Roll Eyes

What I have found even more surprising is the number of people who actually recognise them and ask "is that an Ultrasaber?" And at the two events I've been to this year there have been multiple people who say they own at least one US (or have even brought theirs along as well). Not too bad considering I live in Australia Smiley

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

drtdgr2
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 36

~Lightside Points Preferred~

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 04:14:25 PM »

Haha great story! Point for not only getting more business but making me laugh too!  Wink

“I am one with the force, the force is with me."

Prophecy V3- Adegan Silver with Color Discs
Consular - Consular Green
Manticore - Blue Violet Amethyst / Silver FoC
Dorinian - Guardian Blue / Arctic Blue FoC

Abraxus
Knight Major

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 06:31:59 PM »

Yeah, the Harley guy was something of a surprise.  Big gruff exterior, but a Star Wars geek at heart.  Probably not as uncommon as one might think though.

My Collection
------------
Raven (Violet Amethyst)

srams
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 375

Speak softly and carry a big saber...

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 06:41:14 PM »

That quip about the solar guy made me laugh... were you at a Lowe's by chance? We have a guy at the Lowe's I work at and he tries so hard! Working there is a bit of torture because I see parts very day I would love to try out. I've brought my initiate saber in a few times, and though it's less recognizable as a lightsaber one of my SW fan co workers ID'd it right away. And I got a few other co workers interested but none of them have bought any yet... I'll have to keep trying as hard as that solar guy I guess.

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

Abraxus
Knight Major

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 10:09:08 PM »

Yup, Lowe's it was!

Oddly enough, a couple of months ago, I went to Home Depot for the first time in a long time (no saber that time).  I don't get to that store much anymore, mainly because it is a much further drive than Lowe's.  That day, they had a guy pushing solar too.  It was that guy that I stopped to listen to, and ultimately went with his company to install solar on my house.  If not for that trip, the guy at Lowe's would have had a better chance of getting me to listen to his spiel, as well as getting to check out a cool light saber.

My Collection
------------
Raven (Violet Amethyst)

Jedijosh
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 105

Come back to the light side we have chips & Salsa

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 09:49:59 PM »

Well my brother invited a friend over a week or so ago we pulled out the sabers and showed them to him, and gave him a business card. He is saving for an Emerald/Obsidian Chosen One CE in consular green with a recharge port. Windows, yup, and I made sure he knew that he could get both emitters by asking in the comments section.

Sabers:
Aeon v2 (CG), Archon v2.1 (VA), Graflex CE (Obsidian Emerald), Guardian (Obsidian GB),

Wish list:
Azure Mantis, Arbiter, Bellicose in RGB, Chosen One CE, Consular in CG, Prophecy v3

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: