Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Doctor Who crossover cosplay advice  (Read 913 times)
Wobbywoo
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -18

« on: August 18, 2016, 12:53:35 AM »

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of creating a mashup cosplay between Doctor Who and Star Wars. I will be portraying the 11th Doctor, wielding a Sonic-shaped lightsaber. (Unfortunately, the saber itself will comprise mostly parts from TCSS but rest assured, I will be using the War Glaive emitter). The planning for the saber itself is basically done and I'll hopefully be making the final purchases soon-ish; that aspect of the cosplay is all fine and dandy.

The costume itself is basically complete, too. So far, for those who don't watch the show, my costume comprises a tweed jacket, a bow tie and matching Grandpa Braces, shirt, trousers, boots. It is very similar (though not exactly the same) to anything you'll find in a Google search for "11th Doctor". Now, this does mean I kind of lose the crossover effect - wearing it without the saber, I simply look like the Doctor, straight from his own universe.

I'm not sure how I feel about this: on the one hand, authenticity is never a bad thing, but on the other hand, the concept I'm trying to convey isn't exactly authentic anyway. Therefore I have two queries: firstly, what are your opinions on the matter - does the costume actually need to be Star-Wars-ified in order to work? And secondly, if I were to go about Star-Wars-ifying the costume, how would I do so without losing the overall look of the Doctor's wacky dress sense?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance,

Wobbywoo

Dark side points please, if necessary!

Sabers:

(_(_(_(_(|o|(((|_|]____Dominix v2_______________)

(⁅⁆} {≣≣(__)≍(o__)≍(€__Gallifreyan Destiny___________)

Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 01:45:27 AM »

Personally, I would go with the fez look and then use a matching red outer tabard (maybe a belt as well) under the tweed coat to star wars it up. You could also go with jedi boots rather than shoes. If oyu put this together, remember that there is a Doctor Who themed sound font in the obsession archives. I use it sometimes on a 10 themed saber (manticore emitter, third party choke point, manticore body, and third party tapered pommel) the blade lockup sound is the typical sonic screwdriver, so you can just use that and load blanks for the others or standard sounds to complete the mashup.   

Jabari
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 57

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 01:54:21 AM »

A simple way to Star Wars-ify this costume would be to just add a Jedi belt with an obi that matches the bow tie, and some tall boots or boot toppers.  That way you're not altering the original costume and can still use it for the Doctor, if you wanted, but you'd look more Jedi with the extra accessories.

Wobbywoo
Knight Officer

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 02:04:46 AM »

These are all excellent ideas, guys. Thanks Smiley
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated too!

Sabers:

marina_bonomi
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 152

Light side points, please

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 09:08:28 PM »

Were I in your shoes, I'd consider adding a Jedi cape (worn open, of course), you might go with a cotton one to keep it more light (the added layer could be useful for outside events, though).

My arsenal:

Dark Arbiter Obsidian V4 / Emerald
Stealth Dominix V4 in Arctic Blue

Wobbywoo
Knight Officer

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 12:14:57 PM »

Were I in your shoes, I'd consider adding a Jedi cape (worn open, of course), you might go with a cotton one to keep it more light (the added layer could be useful for outside events, though).
That's a great idea, I didn't think of that. It'd have to be just a cape though, not a proper robe (i.e. no sleeves etc) otherwise I'd obscure the jacket too much. Do you think the cape should be the same colour as the jacket, or a darker shade of brown for contrast?

Sabers:

marina_bonomi
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 152

Light side points, please

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 04:47:13 PM »

Either could work, particularly given that the Doctor's fashion sense isn't exactly conventional. I fingd it hard to lean one way or the other without visuals...

My arsenal:

Dark Arbiter Obsidian V4 / Emerald
Stealth Dominix V4 in Arctic Blue

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: