Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Savings Plan  (Read 1952 times)
BenPass
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 690

Jedi Consular

« on: August 23, 2012, 01:19:57 PM »

Hey all, I just started a savings plan for my next saber. I know, I'm addicted. Here's what I'm doing: whenever I have a bit of extra money, I'm going to buy an US gift certificate and email it to myself. That way I don't take a huge hit in the bank account or credit card when I want a new saber. Has anyone else considered doing this?

May the Force be with me? Sure! It can come along!
"Lux triumphat super obscurum" - "Light triumphs over darkness"

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 01:26:40 PM »

Hey all, I just started a savings plan for my next saber. I know, I'm addicted. Here's what I'm doing: whenever I have a bit of extra money, I'm going to buy an US gift certificate and email it to myself. That way I don't take a huge hit in the bank account or credit card when I want a new saber. Has anyone else considered doing this?

I hadn't considered it, but man is that a good idea.  Point for you!

I generally have an "overage" amount built into my budget.  After expenses and various savings are subtracted from my paycheck, what remains is what I can spend frivilously.  I try to put this money away if possible, especially since I have periods of overspending I have to compensate for, but once in a while I'll save it up towards a saber.

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 01:32:13 PM »

ben thats a great idea, im going to have to copy that, do like 20$ per paycheque or something

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

BenPass
Knight Commander

Jedi Consular

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 01:37:41 PM »

Glad you both like the idea! See, I don't make a whole lot of money on my paycheques and most of what I do make it taken up in savings for the wedding and paying off the credit card bill that I've accrued from spending more than I've been paying. You may remember that I was debt free back in May, but between buying the Luke ROTJ that Ultra's converting, buying the flash handle and electronics for my custom build and a bunch of car repairs, I'm back in debt again...annoying, but it's being chipped away at. I figured that if I could save the majority of my money for the wedding and starting out married life, then I could put a little bit, $20-$25 each week or so into savings for a saber Smiley Glad to inspire others to save for sabers!

JediShadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 43

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 05:25:05 PM »

Have to agree that this is a really great plan. I just got paid today for helping with band camp and i get paid tomorrow for my actual job so this may be the perfect time to set aside some money. Thanks for the idea!

"Twinkle" - GB Blue Standard Issue v2
"Icingdeath" - AB Dominix LE v3
SRD Aeon v3
PO Monarch
BR Phantom Initiate v3
AS Dark Liberator v3
CG Dominix v2

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 10:05:54 PM »

Good Plan!

Me, my strategy is somewhat similar, if slower. I have a soda bottle I stick all my dimes in whenever I get home and have change in my wallet. When that builds up, it turns into saber money. Smiley

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Daniel Anteron
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 160

No one makes a victim of those I care about.

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 11:05:26 PM »

Very cool idea. For me personally I just take and put 100 dollars into my savings account. And I don't touch it. Though make sure you don't link it to your checking account. Cheesy

BenPass
Knight Commander

Jedi Consular

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 04:08:21 AM »

Again, glad to help inspire everyone! I was so happy when I saw that you could buy gift certificates now.

@Daniel - That's what I do for the wedding...slow but sure. That's why I wanted something that wasn't connected to the bank...this way it doesn't make it seem that I'm taking from the pot that we've been saving, and it becomes a nice surprise when I've got enough money Cheesy

Daniel Anteron
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 160

No one makes a victim of those I care about.

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 05:47:33 AM »

Again, glad to help inspire everyone! I was so happy when I saw that you could buy gift certificates now.

@Daniel - That's what I do for the wedding...slow but sure. That's why I wanted something that wasn't connected to the bank...this way it doesn't make it seem that I'm taking from the pot that we've been saving, and it becomes a nice surprise when I've got enough money Cheesy

Ah got ya. It's certainly not a bad idea taking those gift cards. I can totally see someone who's not very good with budgeting their money using this as an alternative way of saving up money for a saber. Or if they wanted to use it like how you're doing. Smiley

BenPass
Knight Commander

Jedi Consular

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 03:14:31 AM »

Ooh, I just discovered that you DO get reward points for buying the gift certificates...makes saber buying easier on all fronts Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: