Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: batteries  (Read 12115 times)
Saberstar
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 9

Peep poop peep!!!

« on: January 27, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »

Just wondering is the rechargeble Nimh batteries better than alkalines? The mainproblem is to allways take out the batteries and change them.. Angry

Lightsabers:                                                                               
"Luke ANH" ultra Fx GB
"Arbiter"GB Customized
"Standard Issue" SRD
"Consular" AB/CG Customized
"Initiate" Limited Edition AB 
"Bellicose" AS blue FoC,

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 09:55:22 PM »

Even if if you use NiMH rechargeables, you'll still run out of juice every few days depending on how much you use your saber. But each battery can be charged around 1000 times as opposed to just being garbage. So the way I look at it is each NiMH is equivalent to 1000 standard alkalines, so you're paying $12 for a pack of four, and getting 4000 batteries, as opposed to $5 for a 4 pack of standard and getting only 4 batteries. I just charge them over night while I'm asleep every few days. So I believe that yes they are better.

So to answer your question: No they're not better if your concern is battery life and having to remove them all the time. You'll still be removing them all the time to charge them. Although I think you'll get maybe an extra day out of NiMHs.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 01:23:39 AM »

The rechargables definitely sound like a good idea for a seriously frequent saber user.

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Saberstar
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 9

Peep poop peep!!!

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 11:21:38 PM »

Ok thanks I will go for the rechargebles.

Lightsabers:                                                                               
"Luke ANH" ultra Fx GB
"Arbiter"GB Customized
"Standard Issue" SRD
"Consular" AB/CG Customized
"Initiate" Limited Edition AB 
"Bellicose" AS blue FoC,

monkey fighter
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 12:19:34 AM »

Does anyone know if lithium will last much longer than regular ones in Ultrasabers?

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 04:37:11 PM »

Lithium Primary batteries (not to be confused with rechargable Lithium-Ion batteries) will last longer than Alkaline, but the expense is not worth it, in my opinion.

rezolution
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 03:06:44 PM »

Here is everything you ever wanted to know about the Energizer Lithium Ultimate batteries.  There are charts in the spec sheet that show how log they last compared to Alkalines.  http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l92.pdf

If you aren't sure which curve to look at, look at "Milli-Amp Hours Capactity" , specifically the 400mA bar charts.  With high current drain applications, the Enerzier Lithium Ultimates are far superior to Alkalines but they are very expensive.

The lithiums last 2 to 2.5 times longer and hold their voltage higher until they die but they are wayyyy more expensive than Alkaline.

Just get some good rechargable Ni-Mh batteries.  Try to have 2 sets per saber Smiley  Then you don't have to wait for them to charge.

I recommend Sanyo Eneloop or Tenergy.

You just have to decide if you want regular Ni-Mh or "low self discharge" Ni-Mh.  The low self discharge batteries hold their charge for six months or more.  That doesn't matter to you, then just buy the regular ones.

LSD Tenergy (800mAh) - $13 for 12 (no charger) - http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Centura-Self-Discharge-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B0040ZXX28/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1299768974&sr=8-7

Regular Tenergy (1000mAh) - $19 for 12 but includes charger - http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Charger-1000mAh-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B003VPU6BO/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299769191&sr=1-15

LSD Sanyo Eneloop - $10 for 4 (no charger) - http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Eneloop-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B000IV2YLY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299769350&sr=1-1

One Winged Angel
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 06:14:09 PM »

What about 3.7V Li-Ions? Also, how voltage sensitive are these sabers? 4xAlkaline batteries are 6V, and I'd assume the LED is resistored to work off of 6V , but 4xNi-Mh (or 4xNi-Cd) are only 4.8v, a 1.2V undervoltage. If you use 2x3.7V Li-Ions and 2xDummy AA's, you have 7.4V, a 1.4V overvoltage. Would this overvoltage damage the saber at all?

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 08:22:07 PM »

At 6v the LED is being over-driven to borderline maximum voltage, but stops short of burning the LED.  Going to 4.8v nihms puts the LED right where it likes to be, and doesn't effect brightness since the current draw is better with the nihms, and LEDs are all about current vs voltage.  Going to Li-Ion 7.4v will burn the LED eventually.

If you go with nihms, I recommend the Sanyo Eneloop brand:

They are low self-discharge, which means they will hold their charge.

Darth Pelage
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -9

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 08:26:37 PM »

At 6v the LED is being over-driven to borderline maximum voltage, but stops short of burning the LED.  Going to 4.8v nihms puts the LED right where it likes to be, and doesn't effect brightness since the current draw is better with the nihms, and LEDs are all about current vs voltage.  Going to Li-Ion 7.4v will burn the LED eventually.

If you go with nihms, I recommend the Sanyo Eneloop brand:

They are low self-discharge, which means they will hold their charge.

I can support Ultra's recommendation for the Sanyo Eneloop's!! They are a blessing to be had for all lightsabers, except my silver saber's led which blew out.

Delete this account.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 09:48:02 PM »

I usually just use the Energizer Recharge or Duracells that you get at the grocery store. I might try Eneloops in a couple years when those burn out though.

(Sig by me!)

One Winged Angel
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 11:47:56 PM »

Just curious, what is the average current draw through an average single color saber? I'm looking at rechargeables and want to know approximately how long they'll last.

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 02:48:09 AM »

1200 to 1500 ma.

One Winged Angel
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 03:20:26 AM »

Heh, so the 900 mAh batteries I have on hand won't cut it for too long. Looks like I'll be buying some new rechargeable batteries then, which (after looking at the competition (and this thread)) are probably gonna be Eneloops.

Thanks Ultra.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 03:50:33 AM »

I think I'll be getting some new ones as well! No wonder I gotta charge these things every couple days!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:51:22 PM by Darth Raze » Logged

(Sig by me!)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: