Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: How do I add d-rings to my sabers  (Read 4358 times)
Order Sixty Six
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -8

POWA UNLIMITED POWA

« on: June 07, 2011, 03:22:06 PM »

Waiting for my sabers to come back and I was out shopping and picked up some load bearing suspenders from army navy with clips and d rings on them.
I decided to head to home depot and get some d rings so I can clip them onto the straps in a similar fashion to starkiller in tfu2.

Problem is, is I'm unsure of a good method of attaching d-rings to my saber. I really don't want to just wrap them cheaply - I'd like for it to look good, and I'm not interested in spending over 30 dollars on covertech knobs and whatnot.

Any ideas?

2x Adegan Silver Initiate v2
2x Blazing Red Dominix v3
Wishlist
Yellow Standard Issue

Hit me with a pm if you live in the tampa area and want to join a sparring group, my friend is recruiting for a panel at shadocon 2011.

Galen
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 11:00:38 PM »

I apparently can't post the link, but there are D-Ring suspension devices for sale on several web-sites that do match pretty closely what were used on the original D-Ring mounted sabers.  I purchased mine from the Custom Saber Shop.

-Galen
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 11:05:15 PM by Galen » Logged

Order Sixty Six
Knight Sergeant

POWA UNLIMITED POWA

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 12:30:50 AM »

How do you attach them to the saber? Krazy glue?

Wishlist
Yellow Standard Issue

Hit me with a pm if you live in the tampa area and want to join a sparring group, my friend is recruiting for a panel at shadocon 2011.

swam
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -61

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 01:04:18 AM »

If you check the link in my sig It will show you what I did. I got cheap leather chord and wrapped the hilt with it and just included the d ring at the end. so far it works great.

Duff Man
The Double Triple X 4 + Fish OG of Randomness Version 2.7 of part 9 = Bacon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -358

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 01:44:27 AM »

If you want real cheap and easy, Use some adjustable hose clamps with the D-ring .

It's not very pretty but it works and can be covered with leather/cloth/ tape.  No drilling involved.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 01:51:08 AM by Duff Man » Logged

Ultra Saber SI Staff:Guardian Blue
Ultra Saber Redemption:SRD
Ultra Saber Dominix V2 LE:Dark VA
MR Construction Kit:RGB

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 02:09:14 AM »

I had that same setup on my SI Duff! lol. It does work quite well.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 02:11:00 AM »

Well, if you have any friends, or friends with friends, with loads of tools, you could get somebody to drill and tap a hole in the pommel for you and screw it in. THat's what I did to get the D-Ring on my Standard Ish. Of course, I was lucky and had a friend who agreed to do it for me in exchange for a Hot Dog, Soda, Chips, and some Oreos. He even brought it back something like 2 days later. lol I wouldn't really try the crazy glue thing though. If the glue turns out to be bad, or just doesn't hold.... your sabers will hit the deck emitter first, followed shortly by your tears of great sadness. The leather wrap idea isn't bad though, I've looked at the pics and it seems like a solid construct.

On another note, I love the suspenders idea. I actually grabbed an old Army belt with suspenders some time back myself. Added a clip to one of the straps, some belt pouches, and jerry-rigged an Imp Scout's hip pack to it with Alice Clips. Looks awesome. Great for a makeshift Rebel Commando/Jedi. Trust me, just wearing a hilt straped to your chest feels awesome.  Grin

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Order Sixty Six
Knight Sergeant

POWA UNLIMITED POWA

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 03:01:37 AM »

Well, if you have any friends, or friends with friends, with loads of tools, you could get somebody to drill and tap a hole in the pommel for you and screw it in. THat's what I did to get the D-Ring on my Standard Ish. Of course, I was lucky and had a friend who agreed to do it for me in exchange for a Hot Dog, Soda, Chips, and some Oreos. He even brought it back something like 2 days later. lol I wouldn't really try the crazy glue thing though. If the glue turns out to be bad, or just doesn't hold.... your sabers will hit the deck emitter first, followed shortly by your tears of great sadness. The leather wrap idea isn't bad though, I've looked at the pics and it seems like a solid construct.

On another note, I love the suspenders idea. I actually grabbed an old Army belt with suspenders some time back myself. Added a clip to one of the straps, some belt pouches, and jerry-rigged an Imp Scout's hip pack to it with Alice Clips. Looks awesome. Great for a makeshift Rebel Commando/Jedi. Trust me, just wearing a hilt straped to your chest feels awesome.  Grin

I'm doing it with 2 :]

I picked these up for like ~$10

I have a drill I just don't know if it will cut through the aluminum, and I dont have a vice to hold the saber still.
Wouldn't you also need to have a threaded hole to hold it in place or does the screw do the work for you?

Wishlist
Yellow Standard Issue

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 04:31:05 PM »

Nice score! 's about what I paid for mine, but they're OD instead and they don't have the clips. I added a clip myself. Smiley Anyways, to answer your latest question... you need to have the hole 'tapped', which just means threaded. I dunno why they say Tap instead of Thread, but that's what it means. lol

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: