Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Was Rey using Form 2 (Makashi) when fighting Kylo Ren?  (Read 17994 times)
Iram
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -292

Grey, leaning to the Dark Side

« on: December 23, 2015, 07:28:26 PM »

Just curious, did it seem like to any of you that in Star Wars VII Rey used Form 2 (Makashi) when fighting Kylo Ren? She made many lunges/jabs - moves generally associated with Makashi.

"Makashi was described as elegant and focused, and was based on balance and footwork to outmaneuver opponents. Fluidity, precision, and economy of motion were relied on, rather than strength, with Form II bladework heavily utilizing jabs and light cuts rather than hack and slash movements. Overall, the form was at its fore when engaged in combat against a single enemy duelist."
- Taken from "Form II" http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Form_II/Legends

I mean, I understand that she'd probably never used a lightsaber before, but you've got to admit she did seem coordinated.
Anyways, feel free to give me your thoughts/opinions/agreements/disagreements on the matter

Iram

BBL and proud!!!

My Sabers
Overlord (BR) Old Reliable w/ Obsidian v4 
Crimson Scorpion (VA)  w/ Obsidian v3  [Second Prize, 2016 Spring Raffle (1st)]
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (CG) Viridi Ignis 
Graflex SE (Emerald) w/Obsidian v4 [Won -50% off coupon April 2017]
Dark Sentinel LE V4 (BR)

WWJD?

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 07:46:36 PM »

It really looked like (and this was originally said by someone else here) that she was fighting like Luke in ESB...or was it RoTJ?

She was definitely proficient in the use of her staff and I would imagine that most of her coordination came from that. On top of her adapting those skills, using stabs and jabs is a good way to keep your opponent in front of and away from you.

I think that she was doing the best with what she had. Also, she made great use of her agility to move around the environment. On the other end of the spectrum a certain point it looked like Kylo threw discipline to the wind and just started hacking and slashing like Jason Voorhees; by that I mean swinging his saber like a machete as opposed to an elegant weapon.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 07:52:30 PM by Kham-Ryn Kurios » Logged

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Iram
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 08:07:08 PM »

It really looked like (and this was originally said by someone else here) that she was fighting like Luke in ESB...or was it RoTJ?

She was definitely proficient in the use of her staff and I would imagine that most of her coordination came from that. On top of her adapting those skills, using stabs and jabs is a good way to keep your opponent in front of and away from you.

I think that she was doing the best with what she had. Also, she made great use of her agility to move around the environment. On the other end of the spectrum a certain point it looked like Kylo threw discipline to the wind and just started hacking and slashing like Jason Voorhees; by that I mean swinging his saber like a machete as opposed to an elegant weapon.

RoTJ I believe, and yes it was interesting to note that after she (apparently) injured Kylo he abandoned all principle and focused on killing her. I can see what you mean by she was doing the best she could with what she had.

BBL and proud!!!

My Sabers
Dark Sentinel LE V4 (BR)

WWJD?

Connah
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light, Dark, both extremes annoy me

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 08:08:00 PM »

yeah kylo did drop all swordmanship for just cutting wildly.....if he were a lumber jack then he was spot on considering the number of trees he felled

"there's no such thing as overkill. It's just making sure"

Dominix V4 VA with sound
Scorpion R+B Emerald with sound

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 09:00:08 PM »

I don't think she was using Makashi. I think she was following the Neo-Zorro methodology.

Original Zorro - "Do you even know how to use a sword?"

Nu-Zorro - "Of course... The pointy end goes into the other man..."

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 09:01:39 PM »

It looked to me like Kylo was using Form 5, due to the strong, aggressive way he was blocking her attacks and returning the energy back onto her to drive her back and demoralize her. It was obvious he was holding back, though, because he was ordered to bring her to Snoke, so he needed to keep her alive. Very much like how Vader started against Luke in ESB, who was supposed to bring him to Sidious. Once Rey focused, Kylo was caught off guard. Rey then felt, instead of thought, and just went with her instincts and did whatever worked. The specific form seemed to be nonexistent. Ren, due to his injuries, surprise, and lack of focus wasn't able to maintain his form and was beaten easily.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Iram
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 09:56:55 PM »

I don't think she was using Makashi. I think she was following the Neo-Zorro methodology.

Original Zorro - "Do you even know how to use a sword?"

Nu-Zorro - "Of course... The pointy end goes into the other man..."

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

yeah kylo did drop all swordmanship for just cutting wildly.....if he were a lumber jack then he was spot on considering the number of trees he felled
Very true lol

BBL and proud!!!

My Sabers
Dark Sentinel LE V4 (BR)

WWJD?

Iram
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 10:01:48 PM »

It looked to me like Kylo was using Form 5, due to the strong, aggressive way he was blocking her attacks and returning the energy back onto her to drive her back and demoralize her. It was obvious he was holding back, though, because he was ordered to bring her to Snoke, so he needed to keep her alive. Very much like how Vader started against Luke in ESB, who was supposed to bring him to Sidious. Once Rey focused, Kylo was caught off guard. Rey then felt, instead of thought, and just went with her instincts and did whatever worked. The specific form seemed to be nonexistent. Ren, due to his injuries, surprise, and lack of focus wasn't able to maintain his form and was beaten easily.
All very true, though I was thinking Kylo may have been using a Form 5/Form 7-mix . My reasoning: 1. He (as you've stated) manipulated Rey's attacks and turned them against her and 2. He overall fought relentlessly not caring much for defense which in the end was his undoing.

BBL and proud!!!

My Sabers
Dark Sentinel LE V4 (BR)

WWJD?

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 10:24:50 PM »

All very true, though I was thinking Kylo may have been using a Form 5/Form 7-mix . My reasoning: 1. He (as you've stated) manipulated Rey's attacks and turned them against her and 2. He overall fought relentlessly not caring much for defense which in the end was his undoing.

I thought Form 7 at first too. I think his fight against Finn was more Form 7, no defense at all. Against Rey it was more 5 than 7, though.

Iram
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 11:22:09 PM »

I thought Form 7 at first too. I think his fight against Finn was more Form 7, no defense at all. Against Rey it was more 5 than 7, though.
TRUE! I didn't think of it that way.

BBL and proud!!!

My Sabers
Dark Sentinel LE V4 (BR)

WWJD?

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 02:48:11 AM »

I think she was just fighting like a noob....which she is.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 02:51:01 AM »

I think she was just fighting like a noob....which she is.

She may have been a noob to lightsaber combat, but I think that all her years as a scavenger has given her combat experience that has allowed her to hold her own.  I can't wait to see how she progresses in Episode VIII

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 02:53:22 AM »

She may have been a noob to lightsaber combat, but I think that all her years as a scavenger has given her combat experience that has allowed her to hold her own.  I can't wait to see how she progresses in Episode VIII

Yes, but fighting with a staff(her weapon of choice) and fighting with a lightsaber are completely different. Two different weapons.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 02:56:04 AM »

Yes, but fighting with a staff(her weapon of choice) and fighting with a lightsaber are completely different. Two different weapons.

I totally agree that they are different weapons and fighting styles, however when your life is on the line, you will fight to live, which is why she ultimately prevailed.  Kylo got lazy and disregarded her and she knew that if she didn't fight her hardest she was dead. 

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2015, 03:25:25 AM »

I'm not so sure she was a complete noob. I have a theory that I won't get into here, but I think she did have some basic, rudimentary lightsaber and Force knowledge. It had been suppressed and reactivated through her interactions with Ren and the saber. That is what allowed her to fight with at least some technique and skill.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: