Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Author Topic: HENRY CAVILL LEAVING SUPERMAN?  (Read 11326 times)
Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1287

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2018, 01:39:31 AM »

I've never been the biggest Superman fan either, but from what I understand, on Earth-2, the superman is Val-Zod, who is black, and that is most likely who they'd go with if Jordan was cast. I do not think very many people would be okay with Kal-El being black. Honestly, I wouldn't want Kal -El to be black, but that is not because I have anything against black people, it is more of just when I watch a superhero movie, I want the characters to be exactly like I know them from the books (which I know is very hard to do, but that is still what I want), and because of that, I would have a problem with a black Kal-El. I hope that didn't offend anyone, I tried to word it so that it wouldn't. If I did, I apologize.

Thanks for that tidbit. I too have seen the rumors, but didn't know how much truth there was to them. It's always interesting to me that people can look up stuff and not see the date when it was written.

I fully understand and respect your position on this TR. And just to be clear, the last story i saw about this was posted about 5 hours ago.
 https://heroichollywood.com/superman-michael-b-jordan-casting/

"I believe it is quite possible to misbehave while still employing good manners." - Darth Logos

"There are too many stupid people, and I do not have enough patience for a whole universe of bozos." - Lady Revan

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2018, 01:59:35 AM »

I fully understand and respect your position on this TR. And just to be clear, the last story i saw about this was posted about 5 hours ago.
 https://heroichollywood.com/superman-michael-b-jordan-casting/

I read that as well but I'm taking it with a grain of salt until it's announced for now. I think MJB is happy in the MCU currently and I have a feeling that we haven't seen the last of Killmonger either.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2018, 05:48:49 AM »

I think an actor should get the role based on talent. With Superman, you want someone tall and they either have to be a beefcake, or go the Christopher Reeve route and go on a serious weight regimen. Skin color and nationality shouldn't matter. Superman is a fictional character and can be whatever you want him to be.

I personally liked Michael B. Jordan in Black Panther and think he could pull off a great Superman, even if that was just a rumor. He certainly meets the basic criteria I laid out above for Superman. He's a couple inches shorter than Superman is in the comics, but so is Dean Cain. Christopher Reeve was actually taller than Superman was in the comics. So, he's well within that leeway area. And, he's certainly a beefcake and no stranger to action roles.

Those comic books were written at a time when black representation in any format was extremely limited. Sorry but it's a fictional character and they change storylines and origins all the time depending on the universe. This focus on skin color and gender is getting a little out of hand. Other races and genders like to see themselves pictured in things as well. These characters are fictional so they're versatile and changeable as times change with them.

Just for clarification purposes, what I said was my own personal opinion. I respect and understand what you both are saying, but I am allowed to have my own personal opinion. I'm really not trying to be rude or anything, I was just replying to what Selinoz asked. He asked for "Thoughts?", and so that is what I gave. Again, I'm not trying to be rude at all, just stating my own personal opinion. Please, please, please don't take it as anything more than that.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2018, 10:56:26 AM »

Being that I'm not really into Superman, I just thought it was an interesting choice since I've only seen him play a bad guy.

If you have only seen him play a bad guy then you haven't seen to much of him.

If he did Superman that would be his fourth comic book role and his 2nd in the Justice League (if they used the same time line). Also the 2nd time he plays the role that was portrayed as white in the comics.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2018, 12:19:22 PM »

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2018, 01:10:47 PM »

Exactly, I'd watch Fruitvale station and Creed which will give you a good start to get to know the actor and his talent. 

Rashimotosan
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 50

Use your moments of weakness to find your power.

« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2018, 04:50:24 PM »

Just for clarification purposes, what I said was my own personal opinion. I respect and understand what you both are saying, but I am allowed to have my own personal opinion. I'm really not trying to be rude or anything, I was just replying to what Selinoz asked. He asked for "Thoughts?", and so that is what I gave. Again, I'm not trying to be rude at all, just stating my own personal opinion. Please, please, please don't take it as anything more than that.

Fair enough. I just keep hearing that people are upset about the change because it isn't how they "envisioned" and it is then typically followed with the fact that part of the reason is that he is black (I know you explicitly stated the latter wasn't the case in your opinion--merely citing many others who have). Everyone envisions their favorite characters differently and sees part of themselves as that character. To say someone might be undeserving of a role merely because they don't fit your own idea of the fantasy is unfair to creators who intend for everyone to relate to the worlds they create in their own way.

Acting is taking on a role and convincing an audience. If the actor can't do that, then they're just not good, period. It shouldn't be solely on how others thought or hoped the character would look. But as others here have cited many of MBJ's other well-known roles, you may find he surprises you. Give him a chance (that's if he is indeed selected).

Bruh, this isn't even my final form.

(I like my force like I like my checkbook...balanced)

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1287

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2018, 05:29:18 PM »

If he did Superman that would be his fourth comic book role and his 2nd in the Justice League (if they used the same time line). Also the 2nd time he plays the role that was portrayed as white in the comics.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

This is why I asked you guys. I don't really know enough about MBJ or SuperMan for my opinion to matter much.

Exactly, I'd watch Fruitvale station and Creed which will give you a good start to get to know the actor and his talent. 

I'll have to check those out. He seems like an amazing actor from the one role I've seen him in.

"I believe it is quite possible to misbehave while still employing good manners." - Darth Logos

"There are too many stupid people, and I do not have enough patience for a whole universe of bozos." - Lady Revan

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2018, 06:28:42 PM »

This is why I asked you guys. I don't really know enough about MBJ or SuperMan for my opinion to matter much.

I'll have to check those out. He seems like an amazing actor from the one role I've seen him in.

Try Chronicle as well for another great movie fearuring MBJ at his charming best.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2018, 06:47:02 PM »

Try Chronicle as well for another great movie fearuring MBJ at his charming best.

Chronicle is another good one.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2018, 08:26:58 PM »

One definitive instance that I would like to point out where a black actor played in the role of a white character was Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin in the otherwise forgettable "Daredevil" movie.  Not only did he have the physicality of Wilson Fisk but he also brought forth the gravitas and panache of Kingpin.  He was the perfect choice IMO and was definitely the best part of that movie.

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2018, 08:39:01 PM »

One definitive instance that I would like to point out where a black actor played in the role of a white character was Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin in the otherwise forgettable "Daredevil" movie.  Not only did he have the physicality of Wilson Fisk but he also brought forth the gravitas and panache of Kingpin.  He was the perfect choice IMO and was definitely the best part of that movie.

Yes indeed, I thought he portrayed a great Kingpin! Have a point, Dutch.

Another black actor who played a great character is Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury.  He brought the character to life and when most people think about the MCU, he’s one that pops up and comes to mind. Him bringing the Avengers together starting with Iron Man and RDJ was the beginning of a universe we’ve all grown to love.  How many people felt hurt when they thought that he died in The Winter Soldier?  The entire theatre got quiet when they thought he was dealt the killing blow and everyone screamed in happiness when he reappeared later in the movie.  Besides, it’s freaking Samuel L. Jackson!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2018, 11:14:22 PM »

One definitive instance that I would like to point out where a black actor played in the role of a white character was Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin in the otherwise forgettable "Daredevil" movie.  Not only did he have the physicality of Wilson Fisk but he also brought forth the gravitas and panache of Kingpin.  He was the perfect choice IMO and was definitely the best part of that movie.

Very true. There are certain times and characters when I don't care, and this was definitely one of them.

Yes indeed, I thought he portrayed a great Kingpin! Have a point, Dutch.

Another black actor who played a great character is Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury.  He brought the character to life and when most people think about the MCU, he’s one that pops up and comes to mind. Him bringing the Avengers together starting with Iron Man and RDJ was the beginning of a universe we’ve all grown to love.  How many people felt hurt when they thought that he died in The Winter Soldier?  The entire theatre got quiet when they thought he was dealt the killing blow and everyone screamed in happiness when he reappeared later in the movie.  Besides, it’s freaking Samuel L. Jackson!

Again, great example. Initially I had a problem with Fury, but he is so much different in the MCU than he was in any of the Sgt. Fury comics that I read that it didn't really bother me. To me he is almost a different character in the MCU. And seriously. It's Samuel L Jackson.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2018, 08:30:32 AM »

Again, great example. Initially I had a problem with Fury, but he is so much different in the MCU than he was in any of the Sgt. Fury comics that I read that it didn't really bother me. To me he is almost a different character in the MCU. And seriously. It's Samuel L Jackson.
the MCU Nick Fury is based on the character from Marvel's Ultimates universe, not the original prime universe. The characters are very different, with a few similarities.

Funnily enough, the Ultimate Nick Fury design was based on Samuel L Jackson (with permission from thr actor). When they were filming the first Ironman Marvel Studios approached SLJ to see if he would be interested in playing the role in the ppst credit scene, which was very meta because in the Ultimates comics Nick Fury said he would want SLJ to play him in a movie!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2018, 10:03:00 AM »

the MCU Nick Fury is based on the character from Marvel's Ultimates universe, not the original prime universe. The characters are very different, with a few similarities.

Funnily enough, the Ultimate Nick Fury design was based on Samuel L Jackson (with permission from thr actor). When they were filming the first Ironman Marvel Studios approached SLJ to see if he would be interested in playing the role in the ppst credit scene, which was very meta because in the Ultimates comics Nick Fury said he would want SLJ to play him in a movie!

Which for those of us who were versed in the comics it was a huge moment.  I always have stayed until after the credits because so many films over the years have had funny little things afterwards.  So, sitting in the theater with my wife, my friend and his wife.  only ones who stayed, chit chatting about how great the film was then the post credit scene starts.  I hear SLJ voice and my brain does a quick calculation "If SLJ is in an Iron Man film...then that must mean.."  in tandem my friend and I, out loud, "No F*****g Way!"  (Out wives are looking at us like we're crazy at this point)  When he's revealed and drops the Avengers name...needless to say we were geeking out.  Which lead into a run down of who Nick fury was, what the Ultimate Universe was AND Who the Avengers were.  Great time to be a nerd.  Now...not as much

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: