Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Luke Skywalker in The Hand Of Thrawn Duology  (Read 2360 times)
ElvenSkywalker83
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 14

« on: October 18, 2019, 08:21:16 PM »

I'm about to finish this Duology, and I'd love to talk about Luke Skywalker and the level of humanity Timothy Zahn wrote into the character to counter that silly perception that EU Luke was godlike. Zahn really highlighted the powerful part of Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, as well a his sweet and endearing vulnerability as a person.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 09:07:56 PM »

For me, Timothy Zahn's SW books were the definitive sequels that we SHOULD have gotten.  I read his first trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, & the Last Command) in high school and loved every minute of it.  It was only later on that I learned about his Thrawn Duology.  And I was NOT disappointed.

There have been several SW EU (now Legends) books that I enjoyed (all of Zahn's) while others were...less than stellar (Kevin Anderson's Jedi Academy Trilogy...meh).  The Thrawn Duology course-corrected A LOT of the mistakes that I felt that the other authors made, from making Luke an over-powered Marty Stu Author Avatar to a clueless imbecile that specialized in Out Of Character moments.  And I'll admit that having Luke pair up with Mara Jade was something that I'd hoped for after reading "The Last Command."

As you said: I feel that Zahn's writing characterized Luke (indeed all of our established characters) closest to what we'd gotten in the OT.  Plus, I'd always considered Luke to be the Jedi that Anakin was SUPPOSED to be; one that would grown into the greatest Jedi that the galaxy had ever seen (I actually touched upon this specifically in PsychoSith's excellent thread about TLJ found here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=42543.msg727819#msg727819).

Zahn's books are the real sequels to the OT IMO and the Duology epitomizes that perfectly.

Great thread ES83!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

ElvenSkywalker83
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 09:24:22 PM »

So so true! I loved The Thrawn Trilogy! It was beautiful, twisty and fun and the Hand of Thrawn was just plan awesome. I can't wait to read more of his books! I have decided the Hand of Thrawn was a second TESB, Luke really got torn apart in this series, from the Diamala rejecting his presence in negotiations because of his power, to Mara pointing out everything he'd done wrong over the years and that he needs to get more focus towards himself rather than everyone else. Luke really grew as a person thanks to Zahn and I love him for these stories!

Haha definitely, I've heard of the weird parts of the EU, but what saga doesn't have it's flaws and weirdness? I think people like to highlight the bad parts of the EU to justify Disney Canon, but considering how the EU kept fans in while the new canon has pushed lots of fans out, I think it is safe to say despite it's flaws the EU was pretty great and lucky to have Timothy Zahn writing! His characterization of Luke was exactly how I believe Luke ought to be. A calm, kind, strong yet vulnerable person. And yes, I rooted for Mara and Luke too! They compliment eachother like two puzzle pieces that are different yet fit so well together. I'm glad they made it! No one could be a better match for our Jedi!

And yes! Luke did become everything Anakin could have been which is why I love him so much. He is the beacon of hope and inspiration, as well as a powerful enforcer of justice and compassion. And yet Zahn never fails to retain Luke's vulnerable humanity and keep him real, genuine and relatable. I cannot wait to read more of Zahn's EU works.

Aw thank you! Cheesy and thank you for commenting on it!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 11:51:35 PM »

For me, Timothy Zahn's SW books were the definitive sequels that we SHOULD have gotten.  I read his first trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, & the Last Command) in high school and loved every minute of it.  It was only later on that I learned about his Thrawn Duology.  And I was NOT disappointed.

There have been several SW EU (now Legends) books that I enjoyed (all of Zahn's) while others were...less than stellar (Kevin Anderson's Jedi Academy Trilogy...meh).  The Thrawn Duology course-corrected A LOT of the mistakes that I felt that the other authors made, from making Luke an over-powered Marty Stu Author Avatar to a clueless imbecile that specialized in Out Of Character moments.  And I'll admit that having Luke pair up with Mara Jade was something that I'd hoped for after reading "The Last Command."

As you said: I feel that Zahn's writing characterized Luke (indeed all of our established characters) closest to what we'd gotten in the OT.  Plus, I'd always considered Luke to be the Jedi that Anakin was SUPPOSED to be; one that would grown into the greatest Jedi that the galaxy had ever seen (I actually touched upon this specifically in PsychoSith's excellent thread about TLJ found here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=42543.msg727819#msg727819).

Zahn's books are the real sequels to the OT IMO and the Duology epitomizes that perfectly.

Great thread ES83!

I have heard that before about the Jedi Academy Trilogy...what do people find so bad about it?  Its certainly not Zahn but I didn't find it that horrible.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

ElvenSkywalker83
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 11:58:30 PM »

I have heard that before about the Jedi Academy Trilogy...what do people find so bad about it?  Its certainly not Zahn but I didn't find it that horrible.

I'm sure it's more of a personal preference, I have a good friend who is reading the Jedi Academy trilogy and she has said only good things about it so far. I'm planning to read it after reading Truce At Bakura, Luke Skywalker & The Shadows of Mindor, and The Courtship of Princess Leia. Regretfully I've been horrible at reading the EU in proper order XD.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 11:06:42 AM »

Great thread ES83!

Agreed. Having the Grand Admiral fighting against the New Republic along with Mara Jade trying to kill Luke would of been great since it would of brought Ben Skywalker into existence along side his cousins, Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin Solo.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 07:33:55 PM »

Tepes, that's damning by faint praise if ever I'd read it  Wink

Kevin Anderson's mis-characterization (Mara and Lando as an item...no thanks), Kyp Durron is a Marty Stu (don't even get me started on how "only Vader's cape survived the fire" even though it was the most flammable part of Vader...well, besides Anakin himselftoo soon?), the entire Sun Crusher idea (LOOK: my super weapon is betterER than them all!), Luke's class of pre-padawans vs. Exar Kun is a disservice to Sith everywhere (really, a group of barely nascent Forceusers took out one of the most powerful Sith Lords EVER?!), and Admiral "she's-a-tactical-genius-no-really-I-swear-she-is" Daala.

To me, it read more like a bad Fan Fiction than what it COULD have been: an excellent glimpse into Luke's tribulations as he took those all-important steps to reestablish a new and better Jedi Order. 

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 07:54:52 PM »

Tepes, that's damning by faint praise if ever I'd read it  Wink

Kevin Anderson's mis-characterization (Mara and Lando as an item...no thanks), Kyp Durron is a Marty Stu (don't even get me started on how "only Vader's cape survived the fire" even though it was the most flammable part of Vader...well, besides Anakin himselftoo soon?), the entire Sun Crusher idea (LOOK: my super weapon is betterER than them all!), Luke's class of pre-padawans vs. Exar Kun is a disservice to Sith everywhere (really, a group of barely nascent Forceusers took out one of the most powerful Sith Lords EVER?!), and Admiral "she's-a-tactical-genius-no-really-I-swear-she-is" Daala.

To me, it read more like a bad Fan Fiction than what it COULD have been: an excellent glimpse into Luke's tribulations as he took those all-important steps to reestablish a new and better Jedi Order. 

Well I never said its was a great series...I just didn't find it as unreadable as many others have.  In terms of Lando and Mara being an Item, that was more because they had no real idea yet where they wanted her to go.  Both Zahn and Anderson felt she should be Luke's love interest but had not decided on that course yet.  The class defeating Exar Kun I saw the opposite way... This was a but a mere shadow of Kun yet it still took multiple Force Users to defeat him.  It spoke to me of his Power in life.  I happen to like Daala....  I think many of the issues were really because this was still a very young EU.

ElvenSkywalker83
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 08:02:58 PM »

I've not read the trilogy but... when I found out Mara and Lando had had a sort of thing, it was super amusing! And Luke seemed jealous of Lando in Hand of Thrawn,  XD I enjoyed their conversation about that immensely!

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 09:02:18 PM »

I think many of the issues were really because this was still a very young EU.
Yeah, I could concede that point...

...But I still find Anderson's writing sophomoric at best Wink

Oh, and Kyp and the Sun Crusher are just pure wish fulfillment (the BAD kind).

I've not read the trilogy but... when I found out Mara and Lando had had a sort of thing, it was super amusing! And Luke seemed jealous of Lando in Hand of Thrawn,  XD I enjoyed their conversation about that immensely!
This was a good scene that helped to solidify the Luke/Mara ship IMO  Smiley

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 01:25:11 AM »

It really seemed they wanted Mara to be a foil for Luke but nothing beyond that...but Luke and Mara just kept gravitating to each other.  Shame Lucas was so against her.

ElvenSkywalker83
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2019, 01:32:53 AM »

It really seemed they wanted Mara to be a foil for Luke but nothing beyond that...but Luke and Mara just kept gravitating to each other.  Shame Lucas was so against her.

Really? From my understanding Lucas gave the go ahead to almost everything the EU authors did, including Mara and Luke's marriage. I have heard rumors of Lucas disliking Mara Jade, but I tend to ignore rumors til proven otherwise. If he didn't like her, I guess he gave the go ahead since the EU fans loved her enough to want her to be Luke's wife. Especially with all the misfortune/failures he's had before hand with lovers like Gaeriel, Jem, Callista and so forth.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 02:21:37 AM »

Really? From my understanding Lucas gave the go ahead to almost everything the EU authors did, including Mara and Luke's marriage. I have heard rumors of Lucas disliking Mara Jade, but I tend to ignore rumors til proven otherwise. If he didn't like her, I guess he gave the go ahead since the EU fans loved her enough to want her to be Luke's wife. Especially with all the misfortune/failures he's had before hand with lovers like Gaeriel, Jem, Callista and so forth.

From my understanding Lucas had given a general "approval" for the writers to expand Star Wars as long as nothing they did clashed with the films.  The only time they had to get in writing approval were for major changes..ie deaths, births etc.  So the creation of Mara Jade was done under his general approval but when they decided to have them wed Lucas did not like it because of the "vow of Jedi celibacy".  But I guess he  allowed it because of her popularity.

http://starwarshub.net/2019/02/01/according-to-author-j-w-rinzler-george-lucas-couldnt-stand-the-character-of-mara-jade/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: