Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: What other batteries can be put in Ultrasabers?  (Read 9239 times)
cujoe_da_man
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 34

« on: June 28, 2017, 05:52:36 PM »

First off, I know I can't use standard ni-cad or alkaline batteries, just in case someone wanted to mention Cheesy

I was thinking about getting some extra batteries to keep on hand for extended play time and I noticed that there are multiple different types of Li-ion batteries, all with different mAh ratings.

My Mantis, bought three years ago, came with 900mAh Trustfire batteries and my V4 Initiate I bought two years ago came with 800mAh Xtar batteries.  I'm curious what happens if I go higher than those, I see some Trustfire batteries upwards of 3000mAh, but all are still 3.7v.

I'm a little fuzzy on the terminology, but the voltage is how strong the battery is and could damage the components should I go higher or lower, but mAh is how long the life of the battery is or at least something like that?

I am a grey Jedi.
My passions are a part of me,
but they do not control me.
Domination can be broken.
Serenity can be a lie.
Knowledge gives me strength,
but power can be a weakness.
Peace and chaos gives me harmony,
Through balance I gain victory.
There is no Light or Dark,
There is only the Force.
Do not try to sway me or you will feel my wrath.
---
My Collection:
Dark Mantis - Violet Amethyst, Obsidian V3
Initiate V4 - Adegan Silver, Obsidian V4
Dark Sentinel V4 - Adegan Silver, Obsidian Lite
Initiate V2 - Fire Orange, Stunt Saber

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 06:07:20 PM »

Basically you have got it right. There could be more potential permanent issues using a too high voltage rather than lower. I would check the actual size of those batteries as they tend to be just a tad too long to fit into the battery casing/housing that US uses.  Please let us know what you find out.  Also other more knowledgeable members such as Racona will give you further guidance.  Smiley

cujoe_da_man
Knight Officer

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 06:21:40 PM »

Yep yep, I'm not looking to go higher voltage, but if I remember my electronics class, mAh would allow the battery to last longer.  Probably not hours longer, but any time more than the usual half hour I currently get would be nice.

My friend's son has a stun saber, so it uses standard alkaline batteries, his will last forever while I'm charger Tongue

I am a grey Jedi.
Serenity can be a lie.
There is only the Force.
---
My Collection:

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 07:18:44 PM »

D7 called for me - here I am Kiss Grin

And she mentioned an important aspect - size. You're right, higher mAh means longer runtime, but according to other members, almost any 14500 Li-Ion cell with mAh ratings above 900 or 1000mAh will never reach the advertised rating due to (electro)chemical and physical restrictions. There are high-rated Li-Ion cells, but they won't fit the standard Li-ion Ultrasabers setup.

What you really have to check is size (as D7 said), but also the brand and existing PCB protection! Only cells with a size of 14500 (14mm in diameter, 50mm in length) fit the battery pack/speaker combo. Also, try to get your hands on genuine Trustfire or XTAR cells! There are many advertisers, especially on eBay and Amazon, that sell fake sets which don't have the specs of genuine cells. This often includes missing PCB protection - that thing prevents the cell from being damaged by deep-discharge, over-charge and wrong polarity.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 08:04:22 PM »

Now this is the kind of reply that you really need and deserve to have.  Protected batteries are a huge important deal as is the other info.  See Rac... there is still much that you can teach me.  Wink

point  Kiss Cheesy    now you have a 747 aircraft ?!  Grin

cujoe_da_man
Knight Officer

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 08:29:08 PM »

That does help. 

Yeah, I was only looking up Trustfire or Xtar batteries, I figure if they're good enough for Ultrasabers, that's what I'd stick with. 

I did notice that when you get (for example) into 3000 mAh, they go from 2" to 2.5" in length, so yep, those won't work Tongue

I am a grey Jedi.
Serenity can be a lie.
There is only the Force.
---
My Collection:

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 08:30:03 PM »

Now this is the kind of reply that you really need and deserve to have.  Protected batteries are a huge important deal as is the other info.  See Rac... there is still much that you can teach me.  Wink

point  Kiss Cheesy    now you have a 747 aircraft ?!  Grin

I see, I see...and I'll keep doing my best - just for you Kiss Grin But I don't have a real 747, that's a bit out of my reach...financially Cheesy

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Chad mikolyski
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -22

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 02:55:24 AM »

Sorry i know this is an older post, but if you really want a longer run time i recommend upgrading to a high quality 18650 lithium ion 3400mah battery preferably by panasonic with a protection circuit. That can run a tri-cree for 1-2+ hours depending on how you drive the leds. You will probably want to either wire in a recharge port or find a slim battery holder for 18650 sized battery.

I do know this is something that takes some soldering knowhow so if you aren't comfortable with that you may want to pay someone to do it or just get some extra 14500s to keep in your pocket and change out when you run out of juice.

I had some halloweens go by where my ultrasaber ran out of batteries before the kids finished trick or treating which inspired me to upgrade.

Just my two cents but i build my own sabers with a lot of other features so i understand its a different story before you understand the electronics and soldering side. either way you have to hand it to the obsidian board: The fact that it runs on either 3.7v or 7.4v is unusually versatile and very cool.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: