Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: TPLA Live: Dueler's Advice to Sabersmiths  (Read 3093 times)
Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« on: March 23, 2015, 09:56:46 PM »

Hey all, we had a pretty neat TPLA Live session yesterday that discussed saber design.  I figured some people might be interested.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcoE-FIYpxc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcoE-FIYpxc</a>

Any questions or comment, feel free to sound off here!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 02:38:16 AM by Master Nero Attoru » Logged

NanoBreaker121
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -3

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 08:10:22 AM »

I agree with pretty much everything mentioned here. I will second the chassis/spacer idea. I have 3 Aeons (well one is a Dominix), and the the first one I bought still rattles. I got that one about a year ago, maybe two. The two newer ones do not rattle nearly as much. I will also give a resounding "amen" to smaller outside diameters on sabers. It doesn't need to be too much either, a very small reduction in size would produce quite a difference on the circumference as a whole. So I don't believe that this is asking too much. As a caveat to the greeblies argument, I think that placement has quite a bit to do with how much they interfere with the grip. However I should mention I have exceptionally small hands, like women's small gloves fit me (some are still a tad bit). So there is an argument for that being just a personal thing. But as a whole I still agree with the points brought up in the video about it. Also Master Nero do you mind if we pm you with questions pertaining to sensitive topics that were discussed in the video?

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 09:44:23 AM »

Was a great watch and I agree with most of what was said.
I really need to get myself a prophecy that I can customize and weather myself, the hilt itself is such a good design.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 09:02:43 PM »

I agree with pretty much everything mentioned here. I will second the chassis/spacer idea. I have 3 Aeons (well one is a Dominix), and the the first one I bought still rattles. I got that one about a year ago, maybe two. The two newer ones do not rattle nearly as much. I will also give a resounding "amen" to smaller outside diameters on sabers. It doesn't need to be too much either, a very small reduction in size would produce quite a difference on the circumference as a whole. So I don't believe that this is asking too much. As a caveat to the greeblies argument, I think that placement has quite a bit to do with how much they interfere with the grip. However I should mention I have exceptionally small hands, like women's small gloves fit me (some are still a tad bit). So there is an argument for that being just a personal thing. But as a whole I still agree with the points brought up in the video about it. Also Master Nero do you mind if we pm you with questions pertaining to sensitive topics that were discussed in the video?

Sure, feel free to shoot me a PM.

cstoehr
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 117

I find your lack of faith disturbing!

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 02:54:25 AM »

Hey all, we had a pretty neat TPLA Live session yesterday that discussed saber design.  I figured some people might be interested.

Any questions or comment, feel free to sound off here!

This was a very good discussion about saber design.  I agree with most everything that was said.  As my saber collection has grown, I have also begun to question the appropriateness of some of the "bling" features.  For example, I have a Crimson Reaper, a Scorpion, and a Malice.  Although these sabers look neat, where's the practicality in those claw features?  Like you Nero, I like the Prophecy / Dark Prophecy hilts.  Although I haven't yet begun sparring with anyone, Prophecy and Dark Prophecy are just very comfortable to grip and spin.  I really like the Archon, Overlord, and Dark Standard saber hilts for the same reason.  All three of them are very simple designs without the protruding "bling" apart from the covertec wheel.  One thing I did observe as I was watching the replay, on my Overlord and Prophecy hilts, when I am looking at the activation switch, the covertec wheel is mounted close to the pommel at 90 degrees to the right of the switch.  That is actually the best location for me because being right handed, my right hand grips the hilt close to the emitter with my left hand gripping just above the pommel.  My left thumb then is comfortably positioned just above the covertec wheel with the wheel itself in the gap between my fingertips and the base of my thumb.  My Dark Prophecy and Archon hilts have the covertec wheel mounted 90 degrees to the left which puts them right under my palm.  I am now seriously considering moving those two covertec wheel to the other side of their hilts.  My Dark Standard doesn't have a covertec wheel, and I may not put one on it.

I think you have said that you use an Archon in some of your sparring, so I conclude that you must like it.  I'd like to ask if you have used either the Dark Standard or Overlord and what you think of those two hilts.

My Ultra Sabers:
Scorpion (VA)
Crimson Reaper (SY)
Overlord (FO)
Dark Prophecy (SRD)
Prophecy (VA)
Chosen One (BR)
Archon (CG)
Malice (BR)
Graflex CE (GB)
Dark Standard (CG)

Other Force FX lightsabers:
Darth Vader (red)
Anakin Skywalker (blue)
Luke Skywalker (green)

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 04:01:58 PM »

This was a very good discussion about saber design.  I agree with most everything that was said.  As my saber collection has grown, I have also begun to question the appropriateness of some of the "bling" features.  For example, I have a Crimson Reaper, a Scorpion, and a Malice.  Although these sabers look neat, where's the practicality in those claw features?  Like you Nero, I like the Prophecy / Dark Prophecy hilts.  Although I haven't yet begun sparring with anyone, Prophecy and Dark Prophecy are just very comfortable to grip and spin.  I really like the Archon, Overlord, and Dark Standard saber hilts for the same reason.  All three of them are very simple designs without the protruding "bling" apart from the covertec wheel.  One thing I did observe as I was watching the replay, on my Overlord and Prophecy hilts, when I am looking at the activation switch, the covertec wheel is mounted close to the pommel at 90 degrees to the right of the switch.  That is actually the best location for me because being right handed, my right hand grips the hilt close to the emitter with my left hand gripping just above the pommel.  My left thumb then is comfortably positioned just above the covertec wheel with the wheel itself in the gap between my fingertips and the base of my thumb.  My Dark Prophecy and Archon hilts have the covertec wheel mounted 90 degrees to the left which puts them right under my palm.  I am now seriously considering moving those two covertec wheel to the other side of their hilts.  My Dark Standard doesn't have a covertec wheel, and I may not put one on it.

I think you have said that you use an Archon in some of your sparring, so I conclude that you must like it.  I'd like to ask if you have used either the Dark Standard or Overlord and what you think of those two hilts.

You're quite right, placement of greeblies on the hilt is another factor in practicality.  I haven't actually used the Archon, but I did have a custom MR Luke ROTJ that Ultra upgraded, which is similar but has a box.  Based on that, I'd definitely recommend the Archon.

Likewise, the Overlord is a really great hilt.  A bit long for some, but I actually found that helpful to get a bit better control with two handed techniques.  I tend to recommend the Overlord and Prophecy line over other US hilts, from personal experience.

cstoehr
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 117

I find your lack of faith disturbing!

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 04:24:20 PM »

You're quite right, placement of greeblies on the hilt is another factor in practicality.  I haven't actually used the Archon, but I did have a custom MR Luke ROTJ that Ultra upgraded, which is similar but has a box.  Based on that, I'd definitely recommend the Archon.

Likewise, the Overlord is a really great hilt.  A bit long for some, but I actually found that helpful to get a bit better control with two handed techniques.  I tend to recommend the Overlord and Prophecy line over other US hilts, from personal experience.

One of the features about the Overlord, Dark Standard, and Archon that I really like is that the edges of the grooves are not sharp unlike one of the hilts discussed in the video.  Those grooves provide a very good tactile grip without cutting into my fingers.

My Ultra Sabers:
Scorpion (VA)
Crimson Reaper (SY)
Overlord (FO)
Dark Prophecy (SRD)
Prophecy (VA)
Chosen One (BR)
Archon (CG)
Malice (BR)
Graflex CE (GB)
Dark Standard (CG)

Other Force FX lightsabers:
Darth Vader (red)
Anakin Skywalker (blue)
Luke Skywalker (green)

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 10:01:48 PM »

One of the features about the Overlord, Dark Standard, and Archon that I really like is that the edges of the grooves are not sharp unlike one of the hilts discussed in the video.  Those grooves provide a very good tactile grip without cutting into my fingers.

Yeah, I can't think of too many Ultrasabers hilts that are sharp, which is definitely a nice feature for comfort and use.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: