Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Best Dual Spinning hilt for a Newbie  (Read 2130 times)
Sith Lord
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -3

« on: April 06, 2017, 11:09:55 PM »

Hi all,

I have 2 Dark Sentinels I bought for duelling and using as a staff, but would love to start learning to dual wield/spin. Looking for a basic/cheap/no frills saber, so was considering the Initiate V3, or even the Initiate V2 for their shorter lengths.

Are the lengths of these better for dual wielding? One grip better than the other? Any other similar priced better options?

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 11:41:17 PM »

I personally do not feel like the v2 has a good grip for spinning. Not bad, but definitely not my favorite. I have not had the pleasure of wielding a v3 yet, but I have heard they are extremely comfortable to wield. I have a Dark Apprentice LE v4, and out of the 5 or 6 different hilts I have used, I easily find it the most comfortable. The choke point near the emitter is amazing, and since it is so high on the saber, and the saber is fairly short as it is, I find that spinning this saber is almost natural. It feels like even if you have no skill at all, the saber gives you the skill to look awesome. Just my opinion, but I highly recommend an Apprentice of some sort.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Sith Lord
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 12:13:04 AM »

even if you have no skill at all, the saber gives you the skill to look awesome.

Sounds like that would suit me perfectly! LOL

Basically the Apprentice looks like a short Sentinel, so yes, I understand you saying it does feel good. I like the Sentinels I have.

I did wonder whether the Initiate V3 with it's 2 choke points might be beneficial?

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 12:33:01 AM »

Sounds like that would suit me perfectly! LOL

Hehe, yep.

Basically the Apprentice looks like a short Sentinel, so yes, I understand you saying it does feel good. I like the Sentinels I have.

I wouldn't mind having a Sentinel, but it is not super high on my list currently. But yeah, the Apprentice is basically just a short Sentinel.

I did wonder whether the Initiate V3 with it's 2 choke points might be beneficial?

I have heard that the choke points on the v3s are more comfortable than those on the Apprentice/Sentinels, but I have yet to test that theory. But any choke point is beneficial. I don't know how beneficial the lower choke point will be, but it wouldn't surprise me if it helped some.

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 01:18:55 AM »

The Apprentice v4 and Prophecy v3 are good spinners.  The Prophecy probably more so.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 03:00:21 AM »

Well, I'll be "that guy."

What's wrong with just using the Sentinels?

There's no reason that I know of, other than just personal preference, that you cannot dual wield two Sentinels. I only have one, but I use it with a Liberator or Dominix v3 in the other hand all the time.  With both having 36" Heavy Grade blades, they have very nice balance.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 03:06:40 AM »

Dominix V3 perfect spinner =] Love spinning with mine

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Sith Lord
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 03:34:35 AM »

Well, I'll be "that guy."

What's wrong with just using the Sentinels?

There's no reason that I know of, other than just personal preference, that you cannot dual wield two Sentinels. I only have one, but I use it with a Liberator or Dominix v3 in the other hand all the time.  With both having 36" Heavy Grade blades, they have very nice balance.

Hey, 'that guy'  Grin

Yeah, nothing wrong with using the Sentinels. Being very new, the info I'm hearing is that it would just be easier to learn and get better quicker with shorter hilts/blades.

The balance is great with the Sentinels (mine have 32" blades). I did try to make some stick sabers out of steel, aluminium and plastic, but the weight and balance just seemed wrong. And hey, I need some new colours anyway Smiley

Sith Lord
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 03:37:14 AM »

Dominix V3 perfect spinner =] Love spinning with mine

Not too long for you? It's about the same as the Sentinels

Galactic Overlord
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 29

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 04:02:07 AM »

The shorter the hilt, the less likely you are to hit your arm or your body when spinning. Sentinels are pretty long.

If you're looking for cheap and functional dual spinning sabers, I would lean towards the Initiate v2s.

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 03:31:47 PM »

I mean the way I look at it is the dom/aeon are all pretty similar sizes.  Your initiates or apprentice hilts are what you're looking for.  Although I'd say a pair or 32 inch blade sentinels seems totally doable.

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 04:44:09 PM »

A couple of 24 inch blades for your Sentinels may be all you need, really. In my case, 32 inch blades work well for spinning, but I like shorter ones as well. The Sentinels are, generally, very comfortable hilts to use but the Apprentices are good if you do want a shorter hilt.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 05:17:18 PM »

A couple of 24 inch blades for your Sentinels may be all you need, really. In my case, 32 inch blades work well for spinning, but I like shorter ones as well. The Sentinels are, generally, very comfortable hilts to use but the Apprentices are good if you do want a shorter hilt.

I have to disagree about the shorter blades in a Sentinel.  I think the hilts a bit too long to work well with 24s.  That sounds like a good way to smack your hilts together.  If they're standards I imagine the balance would be very hilt heavy.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 07:24:46 PM »

I think the 32" blades work best for spinning, because they are not super long, but they are still long enough to balance the hilt a little better. 36" is almost too long IMO, and I haven't had the chance to use a 24", but I don't think I'd like it that much.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 08:03:14 PM »

The Sentinel's top choke is just a bit too long for me for spinning though. Tried it a few times and it didn't really work out for me as for say a Dominix V3 or Liberator V3

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: