Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
Author Topic: COSPLAY 101: A Beginners Guide  (Read 72553 times)
Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2016, 01:08:56 AM »

Just dress in shades of blue and paint your skin to match. Bam. Instant Anakin Force Ghost (the REAL one).
I've since taken steps to ensure that it does not look like Anakin at all.  Smiley  No paint required.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

GreyNight
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 45

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2016, 06:14:31 PM »

Saw this on my FB page and thought it was quite fitting.  Smiley

Chilling between Light and Dark. GreyNight is Grey!

Emerald Flamberge
TRI-Cree AS Stunt Lost Grey

Renaissance1459
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -24

"If you only knew the POWER of the DARK SIDE!"

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2016, 11:41:09 AM »

Thanks a lot for the guideline, Darth Knox...

My girlfriend and I have been thinking about wearing Jedi robe to a local toys fair/comic con in my country, but we did not know where to start from...Your guideline give us some good idea about what we must research on...

Thank you once again Smiley

"I feel no longing. I feel no regret. My memories feed my anger, and my anger feeds my strength!"
- Darth Vader, Star Wars: Lords of the Sith -

Inside the armory so far:
1. UltraSabers Chosen One CE in BR
2. UltraSabers The Graflex SE in AB
3. SaberForge Prodigal Son (CT) in Green
4. SaberForge Crystal Reveal Prodigal Son (CT) in Green
5. Vader's Vault Hero in Plecter Pixel

Wishlist:
1. Vader's Vault Flex 2.0 (ANH)
2. Vader's Vault VDR (ANH)

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2016, 02:16:48 PM »

Thanks a lot for the guideline, Darth Knox...

My girlfriend and I have been thinking about wearing Jedi robe to a local toys fair/comic con in my country, but we did not know where to start from...Your guideline give us some good idea about what we must research on...

Thank you once again Smiley
my pleasure. Glad you found it useful. Let me know if i can be of any further help

Jabari
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 57

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2016, 03:49:12 AM »

Cosplay as any character you want to cosplay.  Don't worry if your costume isn't as good as someone else's, because everyone has to start somewhere.  Everyone's budget and skills are different.  I personally had very basic sewing skills (middle school home ec class, mostly) before I started costuming.  My first "official" cosplay was an X-Wing pilot assembled from a thrift store orange shirt and a black vest, with combat boots, orange pants, and a bike helmet I already had, and a flak vest made from an old t-shirt, duct tape, and rope.  The whole thing cost less than $10 and took under a day to make.  It wasn't great, but it was clearly recognizable
Since then, I've made everything from corsets and ballgowns to hand-drafted Jedi robes.  I've learned all kinds of crazy skills.  Some good sources on how to do stuff are The RPF, Instructables, Rebel Legion's forums, The Costumer's Manifesto...google the item you're looking to replicate, and someone probably has a few suggestions.

Right now I'm working on a screen-accurate Rey and Jyn Erso for membership into Rebel Legion.  But I'm also eventually doing a totally non-acceptable Jedi similar to my avatar and hopefully a Twi'lek Jaden Korr from Jedi Academy II.  Even if I do that one 100% screen accurate, it's not acceptable in Rebel Legion because it's a customizeable game character and doesn't fit their rules.  But Rebel Legion is not the end-all-be-all of costuming - so I won't be able to cosplay Jaden Korr while representing Rebel Legion at an official Lucasfilm event, big deal.  I can wear that costume anywhere else I want to.

My Star Wars costuming evolution goes something like this:
1. crappy Halloween Jedi costume - basically a vampire cape and tall boots with a toy lightsaber
2. recognizable thrift store X-Wing pilot costume
3. even crappier last-second Jedi Halloween costume - a poncho and a toy lightsaber
4. OK $10 Jedi costume with actual sewing involved but made from thrift store parts
5. Upgraded the $10 Jedi costume - accurate undertunic
6. much better sewn green Jedi costume, some good parts, some awful
7. indefinite hold on a barely started Darth Revan (the green Jedi originally had a Revan cape)
8. aborted KOTOR Star Forge Robes
9. upgraded the green Jedi robes to a new cloak, obi, and tabbards
10. indefinite hold on an accurate X-Wing pilot costume, barely started
11. after 10 years of thinking about it, I got as far as buying a few supplies and made one pattern piece for Jaden Korr
12. in-progress screen accurate KOTOR-era Jedi robes, down to the last 2 items but now on hold due to TFA
13. almost screen-accurate Jedi robe to go with the green Jedi, was going to remake the green Jedi properly but then TFA came out
14. for-fun "New Republic Corellian Jedi" - it was about 2/3 done, but it's so close to Jyn Erso that it's now being overhauled to use more of those parts
14. in-progress screen accurate Jedi Rey
15. in-progress screen accurate Jyn Erso

That's 17 years of improvement, there...and I'll finally have a screen accurate Star Wars costume (or possibly 3) by December.  (I have other fandoms I cosplay, but Star Wars is the one with the least potential to use existing pieces - I have a 10th Doctor costume that cost $30 (not counting the shoes) because I randomly found everything I needed at thrift stores, for example.)

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2016, 04:30:20 AM »

Aside from my eternal quest to make a screen accurate Captain America costume, I am also planning on making a replica costume for my Star Trek Online character (the male one, not the female. I'm a little too heavy on the testosterone to portray a female character, unless it's a female ogre).

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2016, 01:26:03 PM »

Aside from my eternal quest to make a screen accurate Captain America costume, I am also planning on making a replica costume for my Star Trek Online character (the male one, not the female. I'm a little too heavy on the testosterone to portray a female character, unless it's a female ogre).
nonsense. Have you not seen pictures of a slightly overweight guy with a beard cosplaying as princess leia in the gold bikini? If you want to do it, then do it. Have fun and take pictures.

Rathayatra
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 98

"Mud hole? Slimy? My home this is"

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2016, 01:47:20 PM »

nonsense. Have you not seen pictures of a slightly overweight guy with a beard cosplaying as princess leia in the gold bikini? If you want to do it, then do it. Have fun and take pictures.

Thanks Darth Knox.  you give confidence and most importantly,  joy, to this old, just now coming to the Star Wars world Jedi. 

lightside points please --- thanks an old youngling
Initiate LE v4 CG             
Prophesy v3 OPS GB 
Graflex GB OPS
Yoda FX
Dk. Prophesy v3 SY
Standard Issue Battle v3 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 VA
Archon v2.1 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 CG
Dk. Menace tri GB
Consular v4 GB Nickel
Shock GB OPS + Raffle Prophesy CG Stunt
Archon v3.1 + spring raffle Dominix LE v4

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2016, 02:01:03 PM »

Thank you. You're welcome Wink

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2016, 03:04:14 PM »

Dude, I am the biggest proponent of cosplaying whatever you want (unless your name is Jessica Nigri, in which case STOP COSPLAYING ALTOGETHER).

What I want, for myself, is to cosplay accurately. I don't care what anyone else does (again, unless it's Jessica Nigri), nor do I wish to force my own personal desire to cosplay accurately upon someone else.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2016, 03:12:14 PM »

Fair enough. Was just trying to give you some encouragement. I don't strive for accuracy in cosplay, more capturing the spirit of the character. But that's the great thing about cosplaying; so many creative approaches available.

wandering-seeker
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -14

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2016, 04:43:59 AM »

Any advice for someone who is in college and having to pass on the essential ramen to pay for a saber? If I can't afford to buy an actual costume would a martial arts uniform or some other slightly martial clothes work?

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2016, 05:04:53 AM »

Any advice for someone who is in college and having to pass on the essential ramen to pay for a saber? If I can't afford to buy an actual costume would a martial arts uniform or some other slightly martial clothes work?

Actually a gi is one of the best places to start, as the Jedi's standard attire was based on martial arts clothing. Put one on like usual, maybe with an undershirt, wrap a length of cloth around your waist and tie it in the front or off to the side to hold the top closed,  maybe some wraps around your calf and/or forearms. Instant quasi-Jedi look.

Jedihunter214
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -101

Following The Path of Grey

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2016, 03:55:28 AM »

Hey everyone I am needing help trying to find a good black boot for my outfit and I could use some help on any info given. Thanks

OWNED:
Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 Silver
Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 Guardian Blue
Aeon LE v4 Sentinel Yellow/w Yari Pike Extensions Black x2
Aeon LE v3 Guardian Blue x2/w quick release coupler
Manticore w Emerald Sound & Light
Renegade LE Blazing Red

ON THE WAY:
Dark Initiate v2 Blazing Red
The Dominix v2 Blazing Red
Aeon LE v3 Sentinel Yellow/w Yari Pike Extensions Silver x2
Brood Guard Blazing Red x2
Phantasm LE v2 Guardian Blue
Sentinel LE v5 Guardian Blue

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2016, 06:15:48 PM »

Hey everyone I am needing help trying to find a good black boot for my outfit and I could use some help on any info given. Thanks

What's the purpose of said boot? Everyday wear? Jedi cosplay? What?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: