Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Weathering  (Read 2180 times)
AerykGunn
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -27

Jetiise Kyramud

« on: June 26, 2011, 05:18:31 AM »

okay so I'm new to modifying sabers and stuff and I don't want to do anything to ruin the saber, because once I do something to it it's... basically stuck like that so.. anyone have a tutorial or guide to how to do weathering to a saber? I mostly want to make it look... well.. combat damaged... like it's seen a lot of combat. scuffs, scorches, beat up, etc and maybe even <  < cut one of the prongs at the end of the emitter (it's a catalyst, though I'm unsure about this idea) Any help would be appreciated Smiley thank you.

Aeryk Gunn

Sabers I have:            Sabers I want:
Catalyst-Blue              Dark War Glaive x2
Dark Initiate V2-Red    Raven
                                 Consular
                                 Dark Shock
                                 Prophecy LE
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Jodaan
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -36

Owner of "We Cook Ewoks", Fine Restaurant

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 10:19:31 AM »

You have the "soft" way, you have the "hard" way.

Soft : you work with paint and precise tools to make you saber LOOK weathered. But he will just be worked to looks like.

Hard : let it fall some times on the ground, make some scratch yourself. USE IT ! Mine has already hit the ground while practicing a couple of times and each scratch added is a story.

For other effects, you can use some enamel paint. I can give you a tip I earned for an other hobby of mines : Figs (WH 40K mostly - Orks and Tau Wink )

Take some foam (blisters' foam) and some paper towel. Put some paint on the foam and dry the excess of paint with the paper. Then test the effect on some paper : you will have a doted pattern that looks like dots of rust or scratches.

Then, for scratches use some silver paint (basically, a lighter color that the saber's main color) and for the rust some brown mixed with metal.

One of my favorit aspects with my vehicles is :
- Step one : paint it in the "brand new" color, what it would have looked if it was just painted.
- Step two : tap the foam with brown to make some "old scratches + dust" effect
- Step three : tap the foam with dark-metallic paint to make "quite old scratches" effect, just make it lighter that the precedent
- Step four : tap the foam with silver-metallic paint to make "brand new scratches" effect, lighter than the precedent.

For the sabers, I think you could use the same method Wink

Clawed Dark Prophecy LE Violet Amethyst
Standard Issue Arctic Blue
Grab Bag -> Incoming <-

Friends' sabers I offered : 12

Dire que notre traduction est "Sabre laser"... Pourquoi pas "Lampe de Poche de combat" ...

AerykGunn
Knight Templar

Jetiise Kyramud

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 05:03:15 PM »

hmm alright thanks.. Smiley I'll look into these options ^_^ I kept trying to look it up online but couldn't find anything. Merci beaucoup Smiley

Consular
                                 Dark Shock
                                 Prophecy LE
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Darth Rifter
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -200

Darth Rifter and Jedi Keldor...Darn it I forgot.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 05:41:09 PM »

Well you can use a dry brushing technique. Get some acrylic paint, the ones in the little glass jars, and load you brush lightly. then use a newspaper to wipe off the paint. dont' worry there will still be paint in the brush. Finally use the brush to paint the saber, it will give you an effect of scratches and will look nice. This is also very effective on a black saber with silver paint. I say experiment with colors for your catalyst and see what works best for you.

Dark Lord Proscidior, Titus Solvan
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -22

Dark Side Points, Please

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 05:59:33 PM »

If you dig around, there are a ton of pretty detailed tutorials floating on the net:

http://ultrawerke.blogspot.com/2007/03/painting-and-weathering-tutorial-part-i.html
http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/distressing/index.html (use the menu on the right to navigate)

There are also some great tutorials on YouTube as well. Try searching for "Prop weathering"

-=Growing Arsenal=-
Dark Std Issue V2 AB Perditio
Bellicose BR / AS unnamed
Dark Initiate V2 VA Incipio
Gifted
Aeon v2 AS Purgatrix
Dominix V2 BR Profanitrix

AerykGunn
Knight Templar

Jetiise Kyramud

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 10:23:47 PM »

Thanks guys! Cheesy I've been messing with some stuff myself. I bought some kind of... rustic like paint and using sandpaper on a piece of aluminum and testing how it looks. some of it I like, some I'm not so sure, but I'm going to keep messing with it till I get it right Smiley

Consular
                                 Dark Shock
                                 Prophecy LE
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

SteampunkSith
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -53

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 03:31:34 PM »

Thanks for the tips!  I will explore these options, too.

"He cares nothing for the Sith or its teachings… or the Jedi. And when the Jedi are dead, he will feed on the galaxy, the Republic, and eventually, consume the Sith as well."
My UltraSabers:
Dark Initiate LE v3 BR
Dark SI v3 w/Sound BH
Dark Prophecy GB
Manticore w/Sound AV
Aeon LE v3 BR
Aeon v4 BR

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: