Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Ultraproffie Review  (Read 2377 times)
scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« on: April 26, 2023, 01:28:40 PM »

This is my review of the new Ultraproffie board. Note: it’s not a review of the sabers themselves, I’ll do those separately, but just of the board itself.

I have three sabers with the new board in them, from two separate orders. They’re these sabers:

The Aeon and Dominix both have Utlraproffie Lite with an in hilt RGBW LED and 36” midgrade blades. The Fallen has the Ultraproffie Lite with the Ultrpixel setup. I’m going to do this review by talking about what’s good and bad on this new board, what’s just okay, as well as some other thoughts.

The Good:

Lots to talk about here. I have to start with price. For what you get, nobody else is touching Utlrsabers when it comes to the price of this setup. Even before the sale that was on when the Ultraproffie was released, the price of the Fallen with the Ultrapixel setup was great compared to other saber smiths. Also, I love that you can decide to have a saber built with the RGBW in hilt LED, as most smiths doing Proffie board preinstalls always sell them with pixel blades. Not only does the battery last longer in the RGBW setup, but this also adds a less expensive option. And that’s how Ultrasbers thinks. Instead of assuming everyone wants the same setup, they figure they’ll give people options to fit different tastes and budgets.

Next on the list is the features. 16 fonts preinstalled with more able to be added easily. I’ve not messed with adding any, but they’re there. Not only are there more fonts than we had with Obsidian, but they also have multiple sounds for the same event, such as activating and deactivating the saber. Also, there’s a music or talk track that can be activated on the fonts by holding down the button. There are also loads of color presets to get the blade whatever color you want. Or, if you don’t want to go with the presets, you can hook up to a computer and use the web software to change it, I also haven’t done that. But, I did hook up to the computer running Linux and I was able to use the web software, which was great. This is another improvement over the Obsidian boards, as Obsidian required proprietary software running on Windows or Mac OS, while Ultraproffie uses Google Chrome, which is available for any OS. And, of course, the other features like smooth swing and various other motion effects are nice. Stab and tip drag are cool if you have a saber with the pixel blade, and of course you can do different blade effects with the pixel setup. The Fallen in the pics above has the Final Fantasy font enabled, showcasing a multi colored blade, made possible with the pixel setup. But, the Aeon and Dominix can still do things like flicker and pulse with the in hilt LEDs. The onboard menu is nice for changing things like color, brightness, volume and sensitivity.

The Bad:

Really only one thing to talk about here, and that’s where all three boards have a bit of a static crackle in all of the fonts. With some fonts it’s less noticeable due to the sounds used, but it’s there on all three boards, so it’s not a one off issue. Hopefully, Ultrasabers will do a revision that cleans this up in the future.

The Okay:

I’ve noticed on all three boards that they’re finicky when it comes to reinserting the battery. Often, the board doesn’t boot right away, and there’s a delay. However, it often won’t boot at all after inserting the battery, forcing me to either move the battery around in the holder or take it out and put it back in. Also, batter life is decent on the pixel saber, better than my Obsidian with Ultrapixel setup saber that I have. And I have the  higher capacity battery on the Obsidian setup, but not with the Ultraproffie setup. So, you get more runtime with the new Ultraproffie. However, the board still doesn't have a sleep mode. So, your saber can be running fine, then you set it down for a few hours or a day or two, and you come back to a dead saber that needs recharged. Sleep mode helps cut down on batttery drain when the saber is idle.

Other Thoughts:

I’m looking forward to this tech eventually being available in the store to buy and install on sabers I own already. I really like the new board and I want to install it on other sabers. Another note on the battery thing. As I said, your batter has a limited runtime, particularly with the Ultrapixel setup. If you’re at a con or other event, you won’t have a saber that will last all day. However, with Ultrasabers, you get a removable battery, allowing you to pack extra batteries. With a lot of other smiths, you have to have in hilt recharge. So, if your battery dies, you have to plug it in and charge the saber for hours. However, Ultrasabers gives you that battery swap option, which allows you to have more than just a big stick that doesn’t light up if you’re at an event all day. That’s really nice. Again, Ultrasabers thinks of things that other companies don’t.

I had two assembly errors that were easily fixed on my sabers with the new board. First, I initially tried activating the Fallen and I got sound but not light. I thought maybe the battery was going dead, so I pulled it out and charged it, but it didn’t take long because the battery was actually pretty full. I put the battery back in and got the same result. I decided to loosen the set screw and see if the blade wasn’t in fully. This was the culprit, as I was able to push the blade in an inch or more until it contacted blade connector and then the saber worked fine. Ulrasabers assemblers need to be more careful about this with pixel saber builds, as they’re not like in hilt LEDs. This also tells me they didn’t test the saber after they assembled it, which is bad. The other issue I had happened on both the Fallen and Dominix. After I solved the blade issue with the Fallen, it was still exhibiting erratic behavior. I finally took the electronics out and inspected things. I took the battery out and saw the MicroSD card flopping around. I didn’t have this on the Aeon, so I took a closer look at the Fallen. When you put the MicroSD card in, you have to push it down slightly toward the negative terminal on the battery holder until you hear an audible click. Whoever assembled the saber didn’t do this, which is why the card was flopping around. When I got the Dominix, I checked for this and when I pressed down on the card, I heard that click. So, neither saber had the MicroSD card properly inserted.

Final Verdict:

This board is a big win, in my opinion. In fact, I loved it so much after buying the Fallen and Aeon in one order that I turned around and bought the Dominix with a setup like the Aeon. There are a couple minor things I’d love to see them tweak, but the positives far outweigh the negatives. I’m glad to see Ultrasabers changing to a Proffie setup and offering it with the usual set of options that longtime consumers such as myself have come to expect from Ultrasabers. In my opinion, there’s no reason to buy a Proffie board from anyone else.

If you made it all the way through by very verbose review, thanks for reading.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1559

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 02:10:50 PM »

Hi SFD,

Great review and nice pictures too. It seems weird (but cool) to see an Ultrasaber with a rainbow blade!

Also I like the way you give constructive balanced feedback. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to your individual reviews. Hope your sabers serve you long and well.

+1 Lightside point.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2023, 03:28:28 PM »

It seems weird (but cool) to see an Ultrasaber with a rainbow blade!

The colors change hue, sizes and position as the blade is on. If you think that one's something, you should see the Zelda font. It has bands of pink, yellow and blue moving down the blade.  Cheesy

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 01:09:42 AM »

Very thorough and helpful explanation of the new board, the key theme here seems to be the options it gives you and it seems the few tweaks you noted would improve it are fairly simply added in at some point. Great job informing everyone of your thoughts, I'm sure many will find this very helpful.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 05:44:28 PM »

To echo For and LSG, wonderful review SFD!  I tend to stick to the Obisidian Lite boards myself so I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to US's more advanced hardware.  I'd love to see more pics (and, like FT said, the rainbow blade is a keen trick  Cheesy)

Point!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

ANoob
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 14

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 09:47:55 PM »

To echo For and LSG, wonderful review SFD!  I tend to stick to the Obisidian Lite boards myself so I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to US's more advanced hardware.  I'd love to see more pics (and, like FT said, the rainbow blade is a keen trick  Cheesy)

Point!
Totally agree!

Stats (vitals)
Collection so far

Aeon v5 le in SRD with what used to be lite sound and sentinel v5 stunt pommel aka my night pommel, crashing now since I broke it AkA my old night saber

Azure Fallen diamond my main dancing saber

Initiate v2 stunt in orange cannot tell what one
Now with 40in night blade ultra edge heavy grade main sleep saber

Apprentice v5 stunt hot pink purely a daytime and disaster saber

Crimson Dominicide in BR lite sound
My number 2 sleep  saber

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 11:11:54 PM »

Thanks a lot, everyone. I like putting these type of reviews together. I particularly like pointing out both good and bad things, but not to dwell on either, to stay more objective. I don't really like doing videos because I always feel like a goober when I do them and I always forget things because I never write a script beforehand, I always wing it and just try to remember everything.

I have more reviews to do, in fact I definitely need to review that Azure Fallen as it's a freaking masterpiece. I'll be sure to snap lots of pics when I do it.  Cheesy

Point!

You really can't go wrong with Obsidian Lite. I've purchased a few sabers with that setup. It lights up and makes sound with a great font. What more do you need?

ANoob
Knight Templar

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2023, 03:06:03 AM »

Thanks a lot, everyone. I like putting these type of reviews together. I particularly like pointing out both good and bad things, but not to dwell on either, to stay more objective. I don't really like doing videos because I always feel like a goober when I do them and I always forget things because I never write a script beforehand, I always wing it and just try to remember everything.

I have more reviews to do, in fact I definitely need to review that Azure Fallen as it's a freaking masterpiece. I'll be sure to snap lots of pics when I do it.  Cheesy

You really can't go wrong with Obsidian Lite. I've purchased a few sabers with that setup. It lights up and makes sound with a great font. What more do you need?

Agreed!
I currently am putting together my thoughts on US soundboards. With this new ultraproffie board I have more questions then answers about it.

Stats (vitals)
Collection so far

Aeon v5 le in SRD with what used to be lite sound and sentinel v5 stunt pommel aka my night pommel, crashing now since I broke it AkA my old night saber

My number 2 sleep  saber

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2030

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2023, 03:28:55 AM »

Does the new UltraProffie have a Vader font or just our classic known fonts? Just curious =]

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2023, 11:41:33 PM »

Does the new UltraProffie have a Vader font or just our classic known fonts? Just curious =]

All new fonts. There is indeed a Vader one. It's called MPP Vader Episode 5.

There are 25 fonts total. I won't list them all, (unless anyone really wants me to) but there are SW character fonts for Luke, (both sabers) Darth Vader, Darth Maul, Yoda, Kylo Ren, Rey, Darth Sidious, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Count Dooku, Mace Windu, Ezra Bridger, Ahsoka Tano, and The Seventh Sister.

Duke13Zander
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 11

Sentinel Survivor

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2023, 05:04:26 AM »

Thank you scifidude79, your post was very helpful. I'm thinking about buying a Crimson Fallen with the same setup as your Azure Fallen (UltraPixel blade with UltraProffie Lite), but couldn't find any good reviews of the new UltraProffie board. Thank you for going in-depth on your review and for showing the Pro's with the Con's. I wish Ultrasabers would make another video showing all the new sound fonts and Pixel blade effects (Emory only really uses the Super Saiyan in their current video).

Crimson Fallen [combat ready] (UltraProffie/Pixel Blade) "Redhead"
Brylark (TRI-Consular Green) "Willow"
Phantom Initiate LE v4 (Sentinel Yellow) "Sun & Moon"
Standard Issue Battle Saber (Consular Green)
Dark Apprentice LE v5 (Guardian Blue)

ANoob
Knight Templar

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2023, 06:34:47 AM »

Thank you scifidude79, your post was very helpful. I'm thinking about buying a Crimson Fallen with the same setup as your Azure Fallen (UltraPixel blade with UltraProffie Lite), but couldn't find any good reviews of the new UltraProffie board. Thank you for going in-depth on your review and for showing the Pro's with the Con's. I wish Ultrasabers would make another video showing all the new sound fonts and Pixel blade effects (Emory only really uses the Super Saiyan in their current video).

Agreed. I also wish Emory would do more ultraproffie board videos. I feel as if he has left us hanging. I have so many questions about the new boards and no good information about them I also hate that Emory did no do the programming ultraproffie videos. The person who dose them I cannot understand easily. For me I would like to know how to upload new fonts to the ultraproffie board for one.

Stats (vitals)
Collection so far

My number 2 sleep  saber

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2023, 11:50:44 AM »

I may do a video at least showing off all of the fonts. There are something like 16 of them. Though, bear in mind that I hate making videos. But, it would enhance the review, I think.

Duke13Zander
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 11

Sentinel Survivor

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2023, 07:08:18 PM »

Actually, you may not have to make a video scifidude79. I noticed in the UltraProffie video that Emory said the sound fonts were made by Juan Sith and I also found the list of sound fonts included on the UltraProffie Lite (see picture below). So I googled Juansith lightsaber fonts and found a page with all the sound fonts this person has created (I'll include the link below). Each sound font has a short youtube video with all of the sounds, but some of them don't show the blade effects because they just have the hilt. If you scroll through the list of Juansith sound fonts you can find most, if not all, of the sound fonts Ultrasabers has on the UltraProffie Lite. However, I think some of the sound fonts go by different names (like there's no "Ahsoka" but there is a "Tano") and there's also multiple versions of some sound fonts (like Graflex and Zelda). I don't have any way to confirm if these truly the same sound fonts Ultrasabers uses, but given that Emory said in the video, I think this website will let you listen to all the sound fonts (and maybe some new sound fonts to add to your saber). Hope this helps anyone trying to find out more about the UltraProffie Lite sound fonts.

https://saberfont.com/Juansith_c_19-1-3.html   

Crimson Fallen [combat ready] (UltraProffie/Pixel Blade) "Redhead"
Brylark (TRI-Consular Green) "Willow"
Phantom Initiate LE v4 (Sentinel Yellow) "Sun & Moon"
Standard Issue Battle Saber (Consular Green)
Dark Apprentice LE v5 (Guardian Blue)

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2023, 11:57:21 PM »

Actually, you may not have to make a video scifidude79. I noticed in the UltraProffie video that Emory said the sound fonts were made by Juan Sith and I also found the list of sound fonts included on the UltraProffie Lite (see picture below). So I googled Juansith lightsaber fonts and found a page with all the sound fonts this person has created (I'll include the link below). Each sound font has a short youtube video with all of the sounds, but some of them don't show the blade effects because they just have the hilt. If you scroll through the list of Juansith sound fonts you can find most, if not all, of the sound fonts Ultrasabers has on the UltraProffie Lite. However, I think some of the sound fonts go by different names (like there's no "Ahsoka" but there is a "Tano") and there's also multiple versions of some sound fonts (like Graflex and Zelda). I don't have any way to confirm if these truly the same sound fonts Ultrasabers uses, but given that Emory said in the video, I think this website will let you listen to all the sound fonts (and maybe some new sound fonts to add to your saber). Hope this helps anyone trying to find out more about the UltraProffie Lite sound fonts.

https://saberfont.com/Juansith_c_19-1-3.html   

That's a nice bit of research.  Cool

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: