Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Troopers/smuggler V.S Counselor/Knight  (Read 10083 times)
XtheXcodeX
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 0

(order of the red jedi)

« on: December 02, 2013, 06:17:53 PM »

Which is better, a soldier, or a jedi?

personally, a smuggler is better then jedi, purely because of its difference, and its ranged ability.

Blades
Initiate LE v2 (AB)
Dominix v2 (EG)

please keep me grey!

Darth_Phobius47
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -176

Hawkbat 5

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 02:41:24 AM »

Sorcerers and Sages are better at PvP than the Knight and Warrior classes (and advanced classes) IMO. But I LOVE my Chiss Operative in PvP! She does a lot of healing and is pretty good with blaster fire support. I also like using my Sith Assassin in PvP. He is a TRUE tank compared to my Jugg.

My Arsenal

Dark Arbiter w/sound custom~EG/AS
Dark Standard v3~FO
Dark Liberator v3 (bro)~CG
Initiate v3 (sis)~VA
Grab Bag: Dark SI v3 vert grooves~BR
Consular w/sound~BR/FO
Menace SE w/sound~CG/FO
Raffle prizes: Graflex w/sound~GB/AS
                    Malice w/sound~BR/VA

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 03:49:16 AM »

I keep trying to make a Jedi Consular, but I can't seem to get very far with that class... I just don't feel as entertained as I do with a Knight, which is odd because you'd think the gameplay of a Force user would be more varied than a hack and slash type.

I've played both the Smuggler and Trooper a little bit, and they are definitely a lot of fun for the sake of variety if nothing else!

Vyk
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 156

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 08:02:43 PM »

I keep trying to make a Jedi Consular, but I can't seem to get very far with that class... I just don't feel as entertained as I do with a Knight, which is odd because you'd think the gameplay of a Force user would be more varied than a hack and slash type.
Funny; for me it's the other way around.  I made a Knight, Vyktir, who looks a lot like me IRL, and figured he'd be my main toon for a long time; then I made a Consular (who, being a blue female Twi'lek, does not look like me IRL), and figured I'd just play around with her to see what was different on Tython; now I don't play the knight because he's boring.  I played a Sith Warrior/Juggernaut up to L20 (my first Imp toon), then I made an Agent/Sniper, and now I likewise play her all the time instead of the Warrior.  On the other hand, I usually like ranged chars, so I don't know why this would be surprising to me.  (Also, you spend an awful lot of time looking at your character's backside, but I actually don't think that's a factor in my preference.)

That said, I do agree with you that the Consular (at least, my Sage) is less varied than you would expect.  Almost every fight is 7, 6, 5, 4, 6, 5, 4, etc until the target is dead.  (I don't even remember which ability I have bound to which key there!  They're all some form of throwing things at the target.)  Quickbar 1 has those plus some melee abilities on 1, 2, and 3; quickbar 2 has those plus some heals on 1, 2, and 3; quickbar 6 has miscellaneous stuff (speeder, sprint, quick travel, forms, etc).  Meanwhile, the Jugg I actually find switching between abilities fairly broadly.  Sniper (and the little bit I've played a Smuggler) is somewhere in-between; more formulaic than the Jugg, less formulaic than the Sage.

To me, the #1 reason to play a smuggler is the sheer satisfaction you get when, after somebody closes in to melee range with your ranged char, you kick them in the nuts and then pistol-whip them.  Sticking a vibroblade in them (like the Agent) just doesn't have the same "F--- you" appeal.  Too bad it's not nearly as effective as you'd expect (especially given Blaster Whip's 6-second cooldown; 6 seconds is an awful lot of lightsaber swings).

Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Dominix LE v4 Emerald RGBW, Obsidian v4
Manticore HP, Obsidian v4
Aeon LE v3 SY, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v3 3AS, Obsidian Lite
Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Aeon LE v2 AS, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt
Dark Liberator v2 BR, stunt
[censored] RGBA, [redacted] sound
Luke Skywalker, Kylo Ren, and Yoda Force FX Black Series
...and a bunch of cheap stuff.

XtheXcodeX
Knight Templar

(order of the red jedi)

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 08:05:01 PM »

Funny; for me it's the other way around.  I made a Knight, Vyktir, who looks a lot like me IRL, and figured he'd be my main toon for a long time; then I made a Consular (who, being a blue female Twi'lek, does not look like me IRL), and figured I'd just play around with her to see what was different on Tython; now I don't play the knight because he's boring.  I played a Sith Warrior/Juggernaut up to L20 (my first Imp toon), then I made an Agent/Sniper, and now I likewise play her all the time instead of the Warrior.  On the other hand, I usually like ranged chars, so I don't know why this would be surprising to me.  (Also, you spend an awful lot of time looking at your character's backside, but I actually don't think that's a factor in my preference.)

That said, I do agree with you that the Consular (at least, my Sage) is less varied than you would expect.  Almost every fight is 7, 6, 5, 4, 6, 5, 4, etc until the target is dead.  (I don't even remember which ability I have bound to which key there!  They're all some form of throwing things at the target.)  Quickbar 1 has those plus some melee abilities on 1, 2, and 3; quickbar 2 has those plus some heals on 1, 2, and 3; quickbar 6 has miscellaneous stuff (speeder, sprint, quick travel, forms, etc).  Meanwhile, the Jugg I actually find switching between abilities fairly broadly.  Sniper (and the little bit I've played a Smuggler) is somewhere in-between; more formulaic than the Jugg, less formulaic than the Sage.

To me, the #1 reason to play a smuggler is the sheer satisfaction you get when, after somebody closes in to melee range with your ranged char, you kick them in the nuts and then pistol-whip them.  Sticking a vibroblade in them (like the Agent) just doesn't have the same "F--- you" appeal.  Too bad it's not nearly as effective as you'd expect (especially given Blaster Whip's 6-second cooldown; 6 seconds is an awful lot of lightsaber swings).
hahaha, nice Cheesy I love smuggler.

Blades
Initiate LE v2 (AB)
Dominix v2 (EG)

please keep me grey!

Deceptae
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -90

Power, Passion, Strength

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 09:12:27 AM »

lolz. i would use a smuggler all the time. upgrade to scoundrel and use a Bender B. Rodriguez soundboard for pvp.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

XtheXcodeX
Knight Templar

(order of the red jedi)

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 12:38:22 PM »

lolz. i would use a smuggler all the time. upgrade to scoundrel and use a Bender B. Rodriguez soundboard for pvp.
i got a level 21 scoundrel

Blades
Initiate LE v2 (AB)
Dominix v2 (EG)

please keep me grey!

Deceptae
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -90

Power, Passion, Strength

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 08:21:36 PM »

would not Bender's voice be perfect?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Darth_Phobius47
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -176

Hawkbat 5

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 01:16:12 AM »

Bite my shiny metal foot!!! Hehe sounds like fun on a bun...

My Arsenal

Dark Arbiter w/sound custom~EG/AS
Dark Standard v3~FO
Dark Liberator v3 (bro)~CG
Initiate v3 (sis)~VA
Grab Bag: Dark SI v3 vert grooves~BR
Consular w/sound~BR/FO
Menace SE w/sound~CG/FO
Raffle prizes: Graflex w/sound~GB/AS
                    Malice w/sound~BR/VA

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 03:51:27 AM »

I have a smuggler and a bounty hunter, and they're both very fun to play.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 06:06:07 AM »

agree with you here! I find my consular fun to play coz im throwing force powers everywhere but it is just a case of using the same few skills over and over. and I find the storyline is more boring than the knights.
I made myself a smuggler/ scoundrel character just for the sake of trying something different- and it is by far my favourite character so far and ive gotten a lot further with it than with the others! I gotta say, there is a great deal of satisfaction to be had when you sneak up behind someone in stealth, hit em in the back with the scatter gun, kick em in the nuts and pistol whip em! Then go rolling off behind cover. so far ive found the smugglers storyline entertaining, but its shorter on some of the planets than either jedi

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

XtheXcodeX
Knight Templar

(order of the red jedi)

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 01:27:09 PM »

agree with you here! I find my consular fun to play coz im throwing force powers everywhere but it is just a case of using the same few skills over and over. and I find the storyline is more boring than the knights.
I made myself a smuggler/ scoundrel character just for the sake of trying something different- and it is by far my favourite character so far and ive gotten a lot further with it than with the others! I gotta say, there is a great deal of satisfaction to be had when you sneak up behind someone in stealth, hit em in the back with the scatter gun, kick em in the nuts and pistol whip em! Then go rolling off behind cover. so far ive found the smugglers storyline entertaining, but its shorter on some of the planets than either jedi
yes! dirty kick, back burst and pistol whip are the BEST!

Blades
Initiate LE v2 (AB)
Dominix v2 (EG)

please keep me grey!

Vyk
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 156

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 03:12:52 PM »

I gotta say, there is a great deal of satisfaction to be had when you sneak up behind someone in stealth, hit em in the back with the scatter gun, kick em in the nuts and pistol whip em!
Aw, man, I was planning to play a gunslinger, but that description is kind of making me want to play a scoundrel.  Hmm, maybe I'll just have to make two smugglers... no, bad alt-oholic Vyk!

Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Dominix LE v4 Emerald RGBW, Obsidian v4
Manticore HP, Obsidian v4
Aeon LE v3 SY, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v3 3AS, Obsidian Lite
Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Aeon LE v2 AS, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt
Dark Liberator v2 BR, stunt
[censored] RGBA, [redacted] sound
Luke Skywalker, Kylo Ren, and Yoda Force FX Black Series
...and a bunch of cheap stuff.

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 03:50:14 PM »

yeah I normally choose the dual wielding characters, but I liked the idea of sneaking around too much Cheesy it can be very handy somedays

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

XtheXcodeX
Knight Templar

(order of the red jedi)

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 04:51:11 PM »

yeah I normally choose the dual wielding characters, but I liked the idea of sneaking around too much Cheesy it can be very handy somedays
some days? try all days :3

Blades
Initiate LE v2 (AB)
Dominix v2 (EG)

please keep me grey!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: