Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Sentinel v4 vs. Aeon v4  (Read 8955 times)
NavajoPaladin
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 18

There is no Dark Side, nor a Light Side...

« on: September 05, 2016, 06:53:56 AM »

After the purchase of my first saber from UltraSabers (Grab Bag Dark Sentinel v4 BR), I'm now looking at a complimentary saber. I truly enjoy the feel of the Sentinel hilt, which makes me consider the silver version, but I've been looking at the Aeon v4, and I'm wondering how differently it feels to the Sentinel. Dimensionally, they're identical (weight and length), the choke points look to be in the same places too, so it should be an easy transition between each hilt; however, the smoother slopes of the Aeon... do they really make that big of a difference?

There is only the Force

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 10:25:15 AM »

Hey NavajoPaladin,

I have to say that I do slightly prefer my Sentinel over my Aeon.

The top choke point on the Aeon is thinner, and the upper edge is square so it does rub against your finger while gripping.  Mine at least.

I just like holding my Sentinel a bit more. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Lord Japarco
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 479

Keep your concentration here and now,...

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 10:48:39 AM »

I haven't got an Aeon, but I love my Sentinel, it's very comfortable with one or two hands...

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/Japarco/media/Sentinel%20V4/ffc14996-49bb-425b-9122-f4cd848e3103_zpszdtmyzgk.jpg.html
My Lightsabers:
Sentinel V4 - Tri Consular Green - Obsidian V4
The Guardian - Guardian Blue - Silver Flash on Clash - Obsidian V3 (2nd Summer Raffle 2016 2nd Place Prize)
Wife's Lightsaber: Prophecy V3 - Arctic Blue - Obsidian V3

Vital-Blurs
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 32

The Wookie has no pants!

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 10:55:42 AM »

I'd have to agree with Lord Rapine. I have a Dark Sentinel and a Dominix v4 (black Aeon) and I find myself holding the Dom at the windows rather than the upper choke-point. That's 1-handed and with a 36" midgrade blade. It might be different with a 32" though. The Sentinel's wider choke point makes it more comfortable overall.

Dominix v4 Arctic Blue / Emerald Dark Sentinel / Emerald Dominix v4

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 10:59:43 AM »

For me, the best choke point on the Aeon is at the very top, where the windows would be. Without the windows, I think the Aeon would handle pretty well, but you don't get as many fingers on the choke point as you do with the Sentinel. With the windows, the choke point is lower. You still don't get as many fingers on that choke point, and the balance point shifts quite a bit, making it a bit more unbalanced.

Because of all that, I do prefer the grip of my Sentinel more that my Dominix (the Aeon's dark brother), but that doesn't mean the grip or balance on my Dominix is bad, they just aren't as good.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

NavajoPaladin
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 11:53:28 PM »

The top choke point on the Aeon is thinner, and the upper edge is square so it does rub against your finger while gripping.  Mine at least.
It's thinner, huh? Hmm, that does complicate things, especially when I start practicing more with my Dark Sentinel and getting used to it altogether.

I'd have to agree with Lord Rapine. I have a Dark Sentinel and a Dominix v4 (black Aeon) and I find myself holding the Dom at the windows rather than the upper choke-point. That's 1-handed and with a 36" midgrade blade. It might be different with a 32" though. The Sentinel's wider choke point makes it more comfortable overall.
For me, the best choke point on the Aeon is at the very top, where the windows would be. Without the windows, I think the Aeon would handle pretty well, but you don't get as many fingers on the choke point as you do with the Sentinel. With the windows, the choke point is lower. You still don't get as many fingers on that choke point, and the balance point shifts quite a bit, making it a bit more unbalanced.

Because of all that, I do prefer the grip of my Sentinel more that my Dominix (the Aeon's dark brother), but that doesn't mean the grip or balance on my Dominix is bad, they just aren't as good.
I'd imagine a 2-handed grip would be with one hand up at or near the windows and the other..... near the switch?

There is only the Force

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 12:03:56 AM »

So when they say it's thinner, I think they mean you don't get as many fingers on it. The diameter seems to be the same.

The best 2 hand grip, for me, is thumb and index finger at the top, where the windows are (assuming you don't get windows), and my pinky wraps in the next choke point down, which is above the switch. My bottom hand would have my thumb and index wrap around the choke point below the switch. It does put my hands a little closer than I normally do, but it is a good grip.

If you get the windows, which I do, then my top hand thumb and index go around the choke point above the switch. That puts my pinky on the choke point below the switch, and I just adjust my bottom hand down a bit. I have large hands, so it works for me. The issue for me is not hand placement, but rather balance.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 12:17:26 AM »

Get the v3 model.  I know the v4 looks better, but the v3 is much more comfortable to use.  The two sloped choke points on the v3 are more comfortable to hold than the v4.

Now, the v3 vs. the Sentinel?  I love my Sentinel, but I love my Dominix v3 just a bit more.  They're both great, I just prefer the Dominix.

For whatever it's worth, for me, two hands is one near the emitter, the other at the very bottom of the hilt.  So on the Sentinel, that puts my upper most finger at the upper edge of the choke point just below the windows, and the pommel actually sits in the palm of my hand.  On the Dominix v3, my upper finger is just below the edge of the emitter, with the ring and pinky finger of my upper hand in the upper choke point.  Again, my lower hand has the pommel in the palm.  I'll try to find a picture to better show it.

Now, for a complimentary saber, have you considered the Apprentice?  It's the smaller version of the Sentinel and even easier to use one handed (too short for my taste to use two handed, but I know a lot of people do).

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

NavajoPaladin
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 12:57:45 AM »

So when they say it's thinner, I think they mean you don't get as many fingers on it. The diameter seems to be the same.

The best 2 hand grip, for me, is thumb and index finger at the top, where the windows are (assuming you don't get windows), and my pinky wraps in the next choke point down, which is above the switch. My bottom hand would have my thumb and index wrap around the choke point below the switch. It does put my hands a little closer than I normally do, but it is a good grip.

If you get the windows, which I do, then my top hand thumb and index go around the choke point above the switch. That puts my pinky on the choke point below the switch, and I just adjust my bottom hand down a bit. I have large hands, so it works for me. The issue for me is not hand placement, but rather balance.

Ah okay, phew. My hands aren't that big, but my fingers are kinda long. On my Dark Sentinel, the top choke point cradles perfectly in between my right thumb and index finger, and I move the AV switch around so that my pinky won't press the AV switch & shut it off. My left hand's grip on the bottom choke point mirrors my right hand, but I just need more practice to get used to the overall feel of it.

Get the v3 model.  I know the v4 looks better, but the v3 is much more comfortable to use.  The two sloped choke points on the v3 are more comfortable to hold than the v4.

Now, the v3 vs. the Sentinel?  I love my Sentinel, but I love my Dominix v3 just a bit more.  They're both great, I just prefer the Dominix.

For whatever it's worth, for me, two hands is one near the emitter, the other at the very bottom of the hilt.  So on the Sentinel, that puts my upper most finger at the upper edge of the choke point just below the windows, and the pommel actually sits in the palm of my hand.  On the Dominix v3, my upper finger is just below the edge of the emitter, with the ring and pinky finger of my upper hand in the upper choke point.  Again, my lower hand has the pommel in the palm.  I'll try to find a picture to better show it.

Now, for a complimentary saber, have you considered the Apprentice?  It's the smaller version of the Sentinel and even easier to use one handed (too short for my taste to use two handed, but I know a lot of people do).
Good point on the sloped choke points; they look like they'd be a bit more comfortable. As for the Apprentice, I actually thought that's what I got in my Grab Bag when I first unwrapped it lol. It's probably something I'd consider  as a shoto down the road, but the idea of two full-size sabers is more appealing right now. I think I might just go with the Sentinel v4 in CG and stunt setup, maybe a flush coupler for some double-bladed fun Wink

There is only the Force

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 12:59:57 AM »

An aeon with no windows with a 32 inch blade is my personal favorite to use.  The choke point where the windows would be is ideal.  It's incredibly balanced. That said,  I prefer a sentinel for a 36 blade.

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 01:22:17 AM »

Good point on the sloped choke points; they look like they'd be a bit more comfortable. As for the Apprentice, I actually thought that's what I got in my Grab Bag when I first unwrapped it lol. It's probably something I'd consider  as a shoto down the road, but the idea of two full-size sabers is more appealing right now. I think I might just go with the Sentinel v4 in CG and stunt setup, maybe a flush coupler for some double-bladed fun Wink

I'm all for two full sized sabers  Cool. My current matched pair is a Liberator in Blazing Red and a Dark Liberator in Hot Pink.

My only recommendation is, if you can hold out a week or two, wait for the detachable coupler to be available.  It's a beautiful thing.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 03:33:34 AM »

Yes, sorry.  Same diameter; smaller choke point.  I was referring to the choke point just above the switch too, and not the narrowed part of the emitter where windows would go.

Though, that would be a decent grip...

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

NavajoPaladin
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 05:48:47 AM »

My only recommendation is, if you can hold out a week or two, wait for the detachable coupler to be available.  It's a beautiful thing.
Detachable coupler?  Shocked

Yes, sorry.  Same diameter; smaller choke point.  I was referring to the choke point just above the switch too, and not the narrowed part of the emitter where windows would go.

Though, that would be a decent grip...
Ah okay, gotcha.

There is only the Force

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 08:00:59 AM »

An aeon with no windows with a 32 inch blade is my personal favorite to use.  The choke point where the windows would be is ideal.  It's incredibly balanced. That said,  I prefer a sentinel for a 36 blade.

Totally agree, I have a Dominix V4 with no windows and the grip at the top is quite excellent lending to plenty of room for your dominant hand up there.  I can see the grip issues with having the windows though.  I'm hoping to have a Sentinel one day but I really like my Dominix V4(no windows Smiley) and I'm happy to recommend it.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 08:58:14 AM »

Detachable coupler?  Shocked

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=32366

I remember going thru this dilemma a long while ago, lol . . . and found this helpful . . .

but then . . . i ended up buying both, lol . . .  Wink

I guess it's different for everyone . . . for me, the Sentinel is just an all-round great hilt for everything, and the choke point is easily the most comfortable . . . and, the Aeon is great too, I'd just choose the Sentinel over it, that's just me . . . but I think you would still like the Aeon if you like the Sentinel . . .

If you go for a silver sentinel in CG, I'd HIGHLY recommend Tri-CG . . . It's simply beautiful  Cheesy

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: