Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Two Sentinels & a Coupler  (Read 2281 times)
NavajoPaladin
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 18

There is no Dark Side, nor a Light Side...

« on: October 10, 2016, 07:43:47 PM »

What is this ominous green glow in the distance? Is it aliens? Yup, it's aliens.

No wait, it's an UltraSaber! Yes, the Sentinel v4!

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you my current collection of combat sabers: the silver Sentinel v4 and black Dark Sentinel v4. Here are the specs for each saber:

Item Name: Sentinel v4 (stunt)
Options:
Blade LED Color: TRI Consular Green
Battery Configuration: Standard Setup
Recharge Port: No Recharge Port
Blade Length: 36" Standard Size
Blade Option: Heavy Grade
Windows: No Windows in Emitter
Pommel: Regular Solid Pommel (No Sound) [Recommended]
Switch Type: *SILVER* NON-ILLUMINATED AV SWITCH
Blade Tip: Round Tip
Include Retention Screw Wrench: No Thanks
Include Blade Plug: Yes, Include Standard Plug
Include Saber Stand: No Thanks
Include Covertec Clip: Yes!
Install Covertec Wheel: Yes ($10 install + $4 covertec)

Item Name: Dark Sentinel v4 (Grab Bag Saber, stunt)
Options:
Blade LED Color: Blazing Red
Battery Configuration: Standard Setup
Recharge Port: No Recharge Port
Blade Length: 36" Standard Size
Blade Option: Heavy Grade
Windows: No Windows in Emitter
Pommel: Regular Solid Pommel (No Sound) [Recommended]
Switch Type: *BLACK* NON-ILLUMINATED AV SWITCH
Blade Tip: Round Tip
Include Retention Screw Wrench: Sure!
Include Blade Plug: Yes, Include Standard Plug
Include Saber Stand: No Thanks
Include Covertec Clip: Yes!
Install Covertec Wheel: Yes ($10 install + $4 covertec)

Also included in the above picture is the Quick Release Coupler, together as one piece. Not having any prior experience with couplers from US, I thought this was a rather normal size.... until I went out to meet a local saber group with both sabers coupled together. I'll get to how that first meeting went in a moment; for now, my review of both sabers, starting with my first one.

This is my first love saber, the Dark Sentinel v4. When I put in the order for a Grab Bag saber, I had no idea what to expect, except maybe a few blemishes or small nicks in the hilt. At the time, UltraSabers was offering free shipping for orders over $100, so I had to add the Heavy Grade blade, blade plug, blade retention screw wrench, and Covertec wheel & clip to get it there. I was hoping for a saber in Guardian Blue, so you can imagine my surprise when I find that my saber turned out in Blazing Red. Even better, the hilt was totally clean, not even smudges or dirt anywhere to be found.

The hilt itself is really comfortable with one hand or two thanks to the choke points above and below the AV switch. With a 36" Heavy Grade blade, it's incredibly light and easy to maneuver for spins and other flashy tricks, yet strong enough to handle moderate dueling. Shortly after the arrival of this saber, I took it out to meet with a local saber group and immediately put it through its paces. I was thoroughly impressed with how well this saber held up in combat. The blade didn't bend, despite all the nicks in it from battle. The hilt does have a few imperfections from contact with opponents, which was a little heartbreaking at first since it's such a gorgeous saber. I was quickly reminded that these sabers can handle the punishment and dish it out, too. I enjoyed this saber so much that I had to get a second one.

After much debate and deliberation (as chronicled here http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=32376.0 ), I decided to order the silver Sentinel v4 in TRI-Consular Green. As happy I was with the Dark Sentinel when it arrived, my jaw practically unhinged itself and fell to the floor when I unboxed the Sentinel. The silvery sheen of the Heavy Grade blade with the silver hilt matches perfectly. The Tri-Cree LEDs create an incredibly bright blade, and not even a blade plug can hope to contain it.

Staring directly into that light is difficult NOT to do, for it's too pretty to look away  Tongue

These two pictures above are comparisons of the brightness of each saber, with and without the flash on my phone's camera. To my own eye, obviously, the green is notably brighter, which now makes me consider upgrading the Dark Sentinel to TRI-Blazing Red. Here are a couple pictures down the hilts of my sabers, looking at the LEDs; I'm sure everyone can guess which one is which Wink

Now I come to the part of the program where the spotlight shifts from the sabers to the one piece few people really know about: the Quick Release Coupler. Here it is in its separate parts.

As you can see, this coupler is held together with ball bearings (4 of them) in the female end, just like the disconnects from air compressors. It comes apart with two hands, one on the female end to slide it back, and the other on the male end to pull the coupler apart. While Emory demonstrated putting the coupler back together by just pulling on the slide of the female end, it actually can be pressed together with a bit of a push'n'shove. However, after a few times doing this with both sabers attached, it does get a little tougher to force together. Perhaps a bit of WD-40 on a paper towel could be used to lubricate both ends of the coupler, maybe even on the threads going into the sabers since after awhile they do thread a little roughly.

The pieces of the coupler by themselves look really good as alternate pommel options, but they look the best as one piece with both sabers attached.

Finally, the real reason everyone is here reading this. I present to you a mixed Sentinel staff paired with the Quick Release Coupler. This thing is massive, you have been warned.

I haven't measured the total length of this monster, but it stands at least a whole foot taller than I am, and I'm 6'1". To continue the story about the first group outing with this saberstaff, there were two other staff wielders in attendance, and my saber was the biggest. One fellow had a flush coupler, the other had a vented coupler, and they were both more than a couple inches shorter than my saber with the Quick Release. Once the shock and awe over my new toys subsided, it was time to battle. In combat with many different Jedi and Sith, my sabers and coupler endured very admirably. Even though I did slide my hand along the coupler, it never came apart unless I pulled it apart myself. Yes, it did spin around during combat, but it wasn't detrimental or distracting. It is really balanced well in the center, and the choke points below the emitters of the Sentinels seems to be the optimal gripping points for this staff. Having previous training with quarterstaves, making the transition to this saberstaff has been rather easy going; the difference in just normal pole-arm/staff work is adjusting and compensating for the second blade. All I need to do now is adapt my own style with this Quick Release Coupler and make quick work switching from staff to dual-blade Grin

In conclusion to this review, I am extremely happy with my purchases, and I'm already considering a third stunt saber in TRI-Guardian Blue. Maybe I'll get myself one for Christmas  Tongue  Many thanks to the UltraSabers staff for creating such an awesome line of affordable, fully combat ready lightsabers that are much more than just heavy flashlights. Additional thanks goes out to the folks that helped me choose my second saber; there are too many of them to list here, but they're appreciated all the same. Now I think it's time to put the red light on this one and wrap this one up.

Dude, I'm totally telling you it's freaking aliens, man.

There is only the Force

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 08:35:23 PM »

Hi.  I like all of this.  Thanks loads for sharing.  Here's a well deserved point.  Cool  Let us know if you want to stay at " 0 ".

Oh and to honor the occasion of this awesome post...  Grin

Lord Japarco
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 479

Keep your concentration here and now,...

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 08:52:55 PM »

Point...

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/Japarco/media/Sentinel%20V4/ffc14996-49bb-425b-9122-f4cd848e3103_zpszdtmyzgk.jpg.html
My Lightsabers:
Sentinel V4 - Tri Consular Green - Obsidian V4
The Guardian - Guardian Blue - Silver Flash on Clash - Obsidian V3 (2nd Summer Raffle 2016 2nd Place Prize)
Wife's Lightsaber: Prophecy V3 - Arctic Blue - Obsidian V3

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 09:04:34 PM »

Fantastic review.  The Sentinel is indeed a wonderful hilt.  I like the mix of light and dark and the green and red blades.  That's an awesome staff.

That's some great information on the QR coupler, a few other people will no doubt be interested in your battle results.  They grilled me about mine, but I don't have a group of fellow nuts saber enthusiasts to go around bashing blades against.  At least, none of the ones I would potentially engage in this kind of activity with have sabers yet.  (I can see I'm going to have to get them some for Christmas, or at least part with ones I already have)

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 12:31:43 AM »

Fantastic review.  The Sentinel is indeed a wonderful hilt.  I like the mix of light and dark and the green and red blades.  That's an awesome staff.

That's some great information on the QR coupler, a few other people will no doubt be interested in your battle results.  They grilled me about mine, but I don't have a group of fellow nuts saber enthusiasts to go around bashing blades against.  At least, none of the ones I would potentially engage in this kind of activity with have sabers yet.  (I can see I'm going to have to get them some for Christmas, or at least part with ones I already have)

We didn't grill you. It was more of a gentle saute. A sweat, if you will.  Wink

Great review, Navajo. A well earned point.

I just want to echo what others have said. Great review, great looking sabers, and great information on all the components, especially the QR coupler.

I think you made the right choice in picking the Sentinel to make your staff.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 04:03:37 AM »

Nice. I was there okay guys. It WAS aliens XD Sorry had to do that guy from Ancient Aliens Tongue We need videos of the new coupler here soon. Maybe I'll get one and try it with my Dominix V4 and Sentinel V4 sabers

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 06:07:54 AM »

An excellent and well thought out review and a point form me as well.  This was a really good read and your passion for lightsabers and combat is certainly echoed here on the forums with the rest of us lol.  And thx for the great pics as well!

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

NavajoPaladin
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 11:03:50 AM »

After a bit of training last night, it occurred to me that I had forgotten one key point of the Quick Release coupler. As mentioned, it does cause the attached hilts to spin in combat thanks to the ball bearings; however, if you're not careful, you can actually unthread the coupler altogether. Thus, I recommend checking your staff when you have a spare 30 seconds or so in combat. I don't think there's any real remedy for this issue, since the usual fixes for problems like this would pretty much make it near impossible to remove the coupler to get to the battery pack.

There is only the Force

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 09:58:25 AM »

Wow! One of a kind! Congratulations!

Seano
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -229

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 10:19:36 AM »

Oh and to honor the occasion of this awesome post...  Grin

I was thinking

Ramse Moade the Grey

Current Sabres - Graflex SE in GB & Obsidian V3, Shock in TRI BR (QD's) & Obsidian V3, Customised Dorinian with Diamond Controller, Dark Catalyst in Adegan Silver with Arctic Blue FOC and Obsidian V3 (Customisation WIP)

NavajoPaladin
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 03:13:45 PM »

Not to distract from my sabers, but this guy's show is on right now, and I'm just listening to it in the background.

There is only the Force

NavajoPaladin
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 02:32:48 PM »

It's been a bit over a month since I bought my Quick Release coupler, and in recent outings I've had trouble with separating my sabers during combat. I feel this may be alleviated with some WD-40 on a shop towel to lubricate the pieces of the coupler one by one, so that's what I'll be up to while my laundry is washing.

There is only the Force

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: