Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Lure of the Deep  (Read 8648 times)
Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« on: January 19, 2014, 10:42:35 PM »

I started with an archon with quick disconnects and obsidian featuring a DVA with BH FOC. I wanted more weight in back in more flare up front so I got it a dark War Glaive pommel and claws and a War Glaive emitter. Then it took a tumble in a spin and had to be sent in for repairs. I sent it in to Emory for an upgrade to an Emerald driver and silver AV switch. No pics of the original state, sorry.

After that, I set out to work with the spikes. After all, some days you feel like a claw...some days you don't. You can just take them off, but with the screw hole and stabilizing studs, something should really go there. So I started thinking of what to replace them with. I came up with the idea of a plate. I took a stab at with PVC first. I did not have any power tolls on me so this was done with a handsaw, a bit of sandpaper, a box opener, and a screwdriver. I don't know if I like the paint so I may go back to a black or try something else. Next set I make, I might actually make when I have access to my power tools. I used the threaded portion of the pipe to give it ridges to match those on my Archon hilt. Started by cutting, sanded, cut in holes, painted, accented the groves in black, and varnished with superglue.

I then set out to use darken up the lower portion of the hilt with some adhesive carbon fiber. As you can see, this was an ipad cover I never decided to use.  I cut it in two strips with an overlap in the middle at the groove where I used a rubber O ring to secure it. I also re-installed the covertech to help hold it down a bit better while it bonds.

I then inserted the custom blade plug I made for it out of found parts.

The final part was choosing an emerald setting I liked--I settled on a mid paced red to orange pulse with a gold flash-- and popping in the pointed tip blade.

Eventually, I want to make the plates out of aluminum and have them blank with symbols engraved on them and filled with enamel. I am thinking runes and/or old school elder signs from the Cthulhu mythos. I plan to have several so that I can swap them out and use either 2 or 4 depending on my mood. I also want to work on a more stygian blue/green color scheme as an option. Finally I will be experimenting with adding symbols to the base of the blade so that they appear as floating, slightly off color, glyphs inside the base of the energy stream. As I get these things done, I will post pics.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:51:33 PM by Darth Cephalus » Logged

srams
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 375

Speak softly and carry a big saber...

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 01:20:50 AM »

Amazing work! I love the carbon fiber, it adds so much to the body of the hilt! Point for sure.

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

Xaeyon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 129

読めるなら、連絡ください

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 02:46:36 AM »

THE EYE OF SAURON COMPELS YOU!

GCW RP - Bothan Spc Tharu Tyy'n

Catalyst (CG) - Prophecy (VA) - The Beast (no blade)
Reading Textbooks; Playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

UnfairBanana
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 26

I am a Jedi, like my father before me.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 02:58:01 AM »

You might just be my new favorite person on the internet. Have a point

Walk always towards the Light.

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 03:35:42 AM »

Had the same thought myself but with a slightly different configuration.
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=17631.msg273788#msg273788
It is the blade plug that pulls the light in to the quartz crystal in the center and beams it out.

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 04:04:57 AM »

And a new version after some work with the blade tip.

And some photoshop play

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 04:08:35 AM by Darth Cephalus » Logged

CZ3RO
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -178

"There were lessons the Jedi couldn't teach me."

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 08:54:17 PM »

Those little hole covers are rad; I think I prefer them in black though.

.ZERO.

"The Jedi and their 'Order' betrayed the Chancellor and the Republic - hunting them down isn't about revenge; this is justice."
- Fane Cinden, Imperial Inquisitioner

Deceptae
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -90

Power, Passion, Strength

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 11:39:19 PM »

Impressive, most impressive. Point.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Darth Varadus
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -12

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 05:56:39 PM »

Just a wonderful job

eerockk
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 662

TPLA Lx Apprentice - Nova 7

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 08:32:56 PM »

Holy....

That is awesome!!

Bellicose - Prophecy V3 - Overlord - Archon 2.1 - Guardian

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 07:43:10 AM »

Sick. Love that red. How did you get the saber tip to light up all the way? I'm actually tempted to try out these new blades from another up coming saber company that I wont name. They have the same idea for their blades but yours just looks awesome especially for that red. Any Sith master would be proud.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »

I Won't lie, part of that is photoshop. The wavy bit at the point to simulate flame was doctored. Still, since the early pictures, I did get the light to travel up to the tip using a suggestion I found on this forum. I don't recall where it was but the writer suggested taking off the tip and drilling 5 holes in the reflective disc on the under side of it in a pattern resembling the pips of the 5 side of a standard die. It still reflects the majority of light back down the blade but lets a bit in to light up the tip.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 11:04:11 PM »

Hmm. Nice. I think I read that too but wasn't sure. I don't like to do custom blades much though. I always end up using too much glue for the tips and film.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 03:58:22 AM »

Decided to take a second shot at the plates. This time I made them wider and black to match the claws. I may try to carve or burn something into them later instead of the regular grooves.

Genkaku Sho`shyk
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 141

only the force, nothing more, nothing less

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 04:36:46 AM »

SWEET CHEEBAH!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: