Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Trying To Decide Which One To Get My Boyfriend  (Read 3319 times)
lledorp
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: November 14, 2014, 04:54:27 PM »

Hi everyone!  I've been going through everything on the site for weeks now trying to decide what I should purchase as a Christmas gift for my boyfriend.  I'm lost on what I should get him, there's way too many choices for me to be able to just pick and I haven't really seen a bad review.  All I know for sure is the blade color, everything else I am still up in the air about.  So, I'm asking everyone to tell me what their absolute favorite things about their sabers are!  Please!

Kyyanno
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 21

"Do the thing!"

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 05:14:26 PM »

I've only got two so far (well, a third on order ^.^; ), a Guardian (Guardian Blue blade, Silver FoC, Obsidian sound, recharge port) and a Dark Initiate V3 LE in Fire Orange (Stunt saber so no sound).

The Guardian is an amazing saber to hold in your hands - it's machined brilliantly, looks just about screen-perfect (Obi-Wan's saber from eps 1 & 2), the sound is fantastic and of course with obsidian you can change the sound fonts yourself - it's currently running with Ninja-Jesus's Qui-gon/Obi Ep1 font for that epic Kenobi feel. If you want to get him an "as seen on screen" saber, then things like the Guardian, Consular, Chosen One and Graflex are great to consider.

The Dark Initiate V3 LE is a different bag altogether - it's a much shorter, narrower saber but that's no bad point - I find it *very* usable for Shii-Cho practice at home, you can easily grip it with one or two hands. Mine doesn't have sound but you can get sound installed, plus two of them screwed together make for a good beginner saberstaff! The Black anodising with machined accents are visually striking and make it look less plain than the standard DI, though now the V4's are out, there's even more to choose from if you want a basic saber.

That's just my collection so far, I'm sure that others will be along shortly to sing the praises of their sabers.

One thing to consider maybe is what do you think he'll be using the saber for? Duelling? Spinning? Displaying in a collection? This can help to guide towards particular shapes, but in the end everyone has different opinions on what is best for what Smiley

Either way, it's no easy choice - ask as many questions as you need to, that's what we're all here for Smiley

Starting out on the path to the light side......

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Guardian, GB Obsidian
Dark Initiate V3 LE FO Stunt
Initiate V3 LE, CG Obsidian (Combines with DI to make a mixed Phantom staff)
Archon V2.1, SRD Obsidian
Dark Sentinel V4, BR Obsidian
Dark Prophecy AB(?) Stunt

Qui-Lar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 68

"This weapon is your life!"

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 05:48:30 PM »

Stunt sabers-sabers with sound -emerald
drivers.   The prices go up respectively.
The good news is if you purchase a stunt
V4, you can send it back later for sound
and any other upgrades. More good news,
whichever you decide will be a good choice
because they are all excellent. I'm like a
dog between two fire hydrants when shopping
for these. Here goes with my two cents and
this will vary with each forum member.
For display: Guardian, Scorpion, Mantis
For wielding/swinging: Dominix V4, prophecy,
manticore, catalyst
Whichever you decide, he will love it   Be
prepared for lots of hugs/kisses

Catalyst(s) DarkArbiter DarkProphecy(s) ChosenOne
CrimsonMantis DarkLiberatorV3 InitiateV3 ShockLE
Guardian SentinelLEV4 Consular DarkInitiateLEV2
InitiateLEV2 Manticore(s) DominixV4 Flamberge(sss)
Bellicose Archon DominixLEV3(s) Monarch InitiateLEV3
SentinelV4 DominixV2RGB Scorpion(s) Menace(sssss)
DarkApprenticeV4 DarkSentinelLEV4 AeonLEV4V

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 06:24:09 PM »

I really like my Bellicose. I got that one because of all the different options you can get to make the saber your own. Blade holder color, top button color, pommel style, so on. =] I made mine into a pure Jedi saber.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 06:45:09 PM »

Hi.  We could assist you more if you can provide more information.   As you can see that there is a range of prices related to options and saber chosen.  What is the color of the blade that your boyfriend is getting?  Knowing that, we can help you towards more light or dark side hilt options.  Many can be used for either.  Does he have a favorite Star Wars character.  Most importantly how much are you willing to spend.  If you are looking for a basic stunt saber, then it could be more confusing to share about Obsidian sound and Emerald color fonts for this purchase.   Smiley
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 06:48:24 PM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 09:29:14 PM »

Hi.  We could assist you more if you can provide more information.   As you can see that there is a range of prices related to options and saber chosen.  What is the color of the blade that your boyfriend is getting?  Knowing that, we can help you towards more light or dark side hilt options.  Many can be used for either.  Does he have a favorite Star Wars character.  Most importantly how much are you willing to spend.  If you are looking for a basic stunt saber, then it could be more confusing to share about Obsidian sound and Emerald color fonts for this purchase.   Smiley

These are all good questions.  If you help us out with them, I think we can definitely narrow your choices.

My personal favorites of the current lineup are the Prophecy (as well as the dark version), Overlord, and Liberator (again, the dark one is the same thing with a little different style).  That's just me though, I like the simpler hilts that have the right look but also a functional design.  Other great choices are the Consular and Bellicose.

Also, keep in mind that even within a budget there are options.  For instance, you could get him a very detailed hilt without sound, or for around the same price you could get a basic hilt (like the Dominix for instance) equipped with sound.  All about what you're looking to get.

Ziran Le
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 10:03:15 PM »

Agreed; more info please.  Try these questions:

1.  Would he want more of a "movie replica" type saber, such as the Graflex (Luke Skywalker from Star Wars 4-5) or Chosen One (Vader's saber)?  Or would he be ok with something different?

2.  Will he actually "use" the saber ie; is he an active person, likely to "duel" with it, "spin" it or otherwise swing/wield his saber?  Or more of a "hang it on the wall" kind of guy?  Granted, all UltraSabers are duel worthy and well made, but some are better than others for actual use.

3.  Are you getting one for yourself also?  (hint: you should) Grin

4.  Does he own any other sabers or saber replicas?  Collector?  Is he really "into" lightsabers, or is this a shot in the dark gift.  (hint:  it's a perfect gift; all men love lightsabers) Grin

5.  Do you want/need sound with his saber? (hint: yes, you do, because it's awesome.)

6.  Seriously though, what's your price range?

There are TONS of great people here on the forum and nearly all are more than open to helping and providing feedback.  (hint:  buy a Prophecy)

[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-swtor/b44df17a0009fcd0.png[/img]

UltraSabers : 7
Prophecy V3 (GB w/Obsidian), Liberator V3 (AS with yellow filter), Dominix V3 (GB), Standard Issue V3 (FO), Aeon LE V3 (VA - Wife's), Dominix LE V2 (BR - Son's, 5yo), Dark Init. LE V2 (CG - Daughter's, 8yo)

Want: Archon, Bellicose, Graflex, Chosen One, new V4s

Brian64
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 149

This is a fertile land, and we will thrive

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 12:47:14 AM »

Okay, choice is easy - get a Dark Prophecy while it is still on the Deal of the Day special (You'll save $35). It'll expire very soon though.

http://www.ultrasabers.com/dealoftheday.asp

The Dark Prophecy is a brilliant saber. I think it has a great combination of style and handling with a standard blade (mid grade or ultraedge) - I have four prophecies of my own, as I was very lucky to receive two of them as random grab bag sabers.

The Deal of the Day price doesn't include an option for sound, and I'd definitely recommend getting sound in a saber if your price range allows it. Still $84.99 for a Dark Prophecy is a real bargain.

Light side points please

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 05:24:35 AM »

The Prophecy is my favorite hilt (so much so I bought two!).  I'm also really fond of the Graflex, Bellicose, and Shock LE.

Here is a link to my youtube page, I have reviews up for every saber I own/have owned.  Should give you a great idea about many of the hilts offered here.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTtl0u7wYJpXLNsjODdZTGQ/videos

For example, here is a Prophecy review.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF3Io9kbgPM&amp;list=UUTtl0u7wYJpXLNsjODdZTGQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF3Io9kbgPM&amp;list=UUTtl0u7wYJpXLNsjODdZTGQ</a>

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 06:00:59 AM »

What a great question as you can see it brings out the passion we have for this hobby!  Here's what I'd suggest, and some of the others have said as well:

Would he appreciate a lightsaber that resembles one of his favorite Star Wars characters?  

OR:

Would he prefer a more unique saber not seen in the films?  Something that he could call his own(or "My Precious" as some might say Smiley).

Last:

Is he a Jedi or a Sith?

Thats it!  Ok, I know it doesn't make it that easy but I hope this will help to narrow it down and enable you to choose.  Some great direction has already been given.

Some personal advice, budget your spending on a saber with sound.  IT. IS. EPIC.  Even if it means sacrificing a "premium" hilt for a more affordable one.  This way it stays within your price range and if he wants he can pursue a more expensive saber once he gets the saber *itch*.  It'll happen!

Good luck.  Oh ya, I vote Archon V2.1 for any Jedi!  It's my favorite because: it's beautiful, it handles really well, it feels expensive, it is MHS compatible so you can change it's looks, it's LUKE SKYWALKERS lightsaber. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 06:08:55 AM by hazard502 » Logged

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Qui-Lar
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 01:05:55 PM »

I purchased two dark prophecy sabers
with coupler to form Roll Eyes a staff and I love
it. His first saber should be with sound
Take advantage of the raffle going on now
and you may win a saber for yourself. My
wife and I duel each other to solve those
marital "issues". Btw, I usually let her win 

aray887
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -42

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 03:23:22 PM »

The prophecy with sound. Its worth every penny.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 04:33:30 PM »

I purchased two dark prophecy sabers
with coupler to form Roll Eyes a staff and I love
it. His first saber should be with sound
Take advantage of the raffle going on now
and you may win a saber for yourself. My
wife and I duel each other to solve those
marital "issues". Btw, I usually let her win 

You sound like a smart man... always follow the cardinal rule of marriage as (sorta) stated in ANH - "let the woman win"  My fiancee is a fellow fencer, so naturally we end up dueling with various types of weapons.

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 08:36:27 PM »

The following is my opinion, but I do own one of the larger collections so I can speak with some authority. It's worth noting that, of course, no two people will have the exact same experience with any one hilt Smiley

The best value for money 'sabre that US offer is the Bellicose - $124 base price, and as Zren Tobas notes, it's a very customisable hilt. It doesn't have an emitter that can be removed and replaced, however.

For that option, look to the Shock (the LE and Dark Shock are $10 extra), the Manticores, the Arbiters or the Consular - $149 base price. I favour the Consular as it's a hilt design I've really liked ever since I was young. The silver shroud on the Consular is also removable, so your other half can customise it a fair bit. Being able to exchange both the emitter and pommel with other MHS parts is also a major bonus.

At the same price you have the various Reaper and Scorpions, but I'm inclined to say they're a bit stylised; You don't really look at them and think 'lightsabre'. The Overlord is also at the same price, but I've never taken to its appearance. The Catalysts are also $149, and are really nice hilts to handle, but because of the way they're constructed they're not as easy to modify.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Qui-Lar
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 04:45:55 PM »

Let us know what you decided to go with

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: