Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 583   Go Down
Author Topic: Suggestion Box/Wishlist: what do we want from Ultrasabers?  (Read 1496905 times)
Ricos
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -48

“I find your lack of faith disturbing.”

« Reply #1425 on: April 26, 2013, 01:05:42 PM »

OK I got an idea! A vented/non vented coupler w/out threads! Designed off the same concept as the reaper pommel? That way you could unscrew retention screws and line up you sabers to match properly?

Bellicose DVA...Obsidian
Overlord BR...Obsidian
Overlord BR
Dominix LE v3 CG
Dark Initiate v2 GB...son
Initiate LE v3 CG...nephew
Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 AS...son

Schtuperman
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 84

« Reply #1426 on: April 26, 2013, 07:48:58 PM »

OK I got an idea! A vented/non vented coupler w/out threads! Designed off the same concept as the reaper pommel? That way you could unscrew retention screws and line up you sabers to match properly?

I don't think it could work quite the way you envision, unless it were to be larger than the hilts to which it attached and you didn't mind some serious marks where you tightened it down.  

Instead, how about something along the lines of the threaded silver segment of the Reaper's pommel that screwed into each saber separately (there would be one for each saber).  The coupler itself would slip over the pommel pieces, just like the Reaper's pommel,  and on each side there would be retention screws in 3-4 locations for a secure grip on the pommel inserts.  It could be made available in a small, non-vented version, and a longer vented version for sound sabers.   Once the saber is aligned and the set screws are locked down, you could remove and reinstall the coupler assembly on that saber combination without having to readjust the setting.

Ultrasabers could sell this coupler as a unit, which would include two MHS-threaded pommel inserts and the vented or non-vented coupler piece with set screws.

Graflex CE: AB/AS
Overlord: (x2) BR/AS-HP/AS
Shock LE: AS/AB
Manticore: (x2) CG/AS-VA/AS
Guardian: GB/AS
Archon: FO/SY
Crimson Reaper: (x2) SY/AS-AS/BR
Dark Arbiter: CG/AS
Phantom Initiate v3: BR/AS
Phantasm Initiate v3: CG/AS
Raven: GB/AS
Dark War Glaive: PO/AS
Dark Standard: AS/BR
Menace CE: Emerald

Moebius Omega
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 33

{Lightside Points Please}

« Reply #1427 on: April 26, 2013, 10:32:48 PM »

I don't think it could work quite the way you envision, unless it were to be larger than the hilts to which it attached and you didn't mind some serious marks where you tightened it down.  

Instead, how about something along the lines of the threaded silver segment of the Reaper's pommel that screwed into each saber separately (there would be one for each saber).  The coupler itself would slip over the pommel pieces, just like the Reaper's pommel,  and on each side there would be retention screws in 3-4 locations for a secure grip on the pommel inserts.  It could be made available in a small, non-vented version, and a longer vented version for sound sabers.   Once the saber is aligned and the set screws are locked down, you could remove and reinstall the coupler assembly on that saber combination without having to readjust the setting.

Ultrasabers could sell this coupler as a unit, which would include two MHS-threaded pommel inserts
 and the vented or non-vented coupler piece with set screws.
that could work, the rotating sections on the emitter and pommel seem secure enough, maybe an extra couple of screws as it would have to withstand more strain. definitely a possibility

Obsidian Reaper CG
Obsidian Consular SY/BR

Schtuperman
Knight Captain

« Reply #1428 on: April 26, 2013, 11:22:23 PM »

I think it should be stout aluminium, there should be four set screws for each saber, and maybe extend the pommel segment a little so it extends at least 1/2" into the coupler section.

This could really be just a two-piece device.  The coupler unit would be MHS threaded on one end. The other end is the rotatable side, has four set screws, and accepts the "Reaper pommel-like" insert.  This actually seems fairly straightforward, should be easy to manufacture, and all of our staffs would line up perfectly!  Now we just need them in solid, vented, black, and silver...   Shocked

I don't want royalties but please remember Schtuperman came up with the idea!   Grin
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 11:29:14 PM by Schtuperman » Logged

loosekannonn
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #1429 on: April 27, 2013, 02:23:09 AM »

How about a Pommel Extension section to increase the size of the resonance chamber.
just a piece of threaded tube M one end F the other to go between existing hilt body and pommel.

I'm also a semi-retired design engineer, would a pommel that can house multiple speakers to increase your sonic out put;
I can draft this up in Autocad for you and send you the file in what ever software package you like. (yes even solid works) Cool

Could Nickel Plating become an option for Hilts that are all "Silver" Open Aluminium?

Ricos
Knight Commander

« Reply #1430 on: April 27, 2013, 04:09:07 AM »

Ultrasabers could sell this coupler as a unit, which would include two MHS-threaded pommel inserts and the vented or non-vented coupler piece with set screws.

Basically what I was trying to say in not so many words! But you got the idea! lol

Bellicose DVA...Obsidian
Overlord BR...Obsidian
Overlord BR
Dominix LE v3 CG

mcnaughtonM
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -41

[Darkside points only]

« Reply #1431 on: April 27, 2013, 04:13:39 AM »

Basically what I was trying to say in not so many words! But you got the idea! lol

That is a great idea, I will need this as I plan on making a saber staff but it relies purely on button lineup

Inventory:
- Prophecy in CG
- Dark Liberator in CG (gb)
- Shock in BR (Silver FOC)
- Dominix LE in BR
Wishlist:
- Graflex in GB
- Raven in BR
- Reaper in BR

Ricos
Knight Commander

« Reply #1432 on: April 27, 2013, 04:25:24 AM »

That is a great idea, I will need this as I plan on making a saber staff but it relies purely on button lineup

Gotta love when more than 1 person brains storms an idea! To make it seem even more possible to pull off! lol

Bellicose DVA...Obsidian
Overlord BR...Obsidian
Overlord BR
Dominix LE v3 CG

synner01
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #1433 on: April 27, 2013, 04:49:53 PM »

US should bring back the copper hilts

Faa-Yal Dragu
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 111

Jedi knight, wandcrafter, heathen

« Reply #1434 on: April 27, 2013, 09:17:24 PM »

machining service! three basic designs -

type 1 : single line of small holes round the emitter
type 2 : single hole drilled out of hilt (please put size and location in comments box)
type 3 : single line cut out of hilt (please put size and location in comments box)

Machining service: Yes, type 3 please!

we all know that Ultra and Emory have raised the bar with sabersmithing, but with this they would blast it into orbit. it would make the saber so unique to the customer.

The jedi only use their powers to defend and protect,
although (waves hand) You will give me lightside points.

mcnaughtonM
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -41

[Darkside points only]

« Reply #1435 on: April 28, 2013, 01:12:23 AM »

US should bring back the copper hilts

Prices would go up by so much, copper is ridiculously expensive

Inventory:
- Prophecy in CG
- Dark Liberator in CG (gb)
- Shock in BR (Silver FOC)
- Dominix LE in BR
Wishlist:
- Graflex in GB
- Raven in BR
- Reaper in BR

Moebius Omega
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #1436 on: April 28, 2013, 02:27:34 AM »

Not really, my dad is a pipeline supply manager, and copper is quite a reasonably priced metal.
It's why so much plumbing is copper, why your wiring is copper. Copper is cheaper than aircraft grade aluminium that US currently use, though obviously nowhere near as strong.
A better idea would be a brass finish on the aluminium, specifically using a PVD plating technique like I've previously suggested.

Obsidian Reaper CG
Obsidian Consular SY/BR

Schtuperman
Knight Captain

« Reply #1437 on: April 28, 2013, 04:01:16 AM »

Current cost of copper is around $3.19 per pound.  I don't know how that compares historically, but I do remember as a kid stripping copper from old boats and getting about 35 cents per pound.  Electrical wire is copper because it offers the best conductance/price ratio of any metal.  Copper is (or at least was) used for plumbing because it has supreme resistance to corrosion over most other metals.  Now most residential plumbing is PVC or CPVC because it is cheaper than copper and doesn't corrode at all. 

Moebius Omega
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #1438 on: April 28, 2013, 11:06:18 AM »

You're talking about purchasing a new refined product against trading it in for scrap.
That's like comparing gold saying it currently retails at £1200 an ounce but to trade scrap in is £10 per gram. completely different.
And that may be the case over there but i assure you copper tubing is still sold by the truckload on a daily basis for all building types here. if it wasn't, my dad would be out of a job.

Obsidian Reaper CG
Obsidian Consular SY/BR

Schtuperman
Knight Captain

« Reply #1439 on: April 28, 2013, 04:04:40 PM »

The "35 cents per pound" was a scrap price from when I was a kid, but the $3.19 per pound was the price of raw refined copper on Friday, April 26, 2013.  Obviously this is the price of the raw material, and doesn't include the cost of manufacturing it into pipes or anything else of value.  They still sell and use lots of copper here too, but in my area of the country most home fresh water plumbing is now PVC and CPVC.  My house is five year old, and the only copper plumbing are very short sections of connection tubing like where the water lines connect to the toilets, tubs, and sinks.  Everything else if CPVC.

Raw Refined Copper Price Chart
http://www.tradeservice.com/copper_pricing/