Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Some questions about staves.  (Read 5251 times)
ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« on: February 08, 2018, 03:04:08 AM »

So I've been imagining a cosplay character in my head, it's in the beginning stages of her development, the brainstorming phase. She's an Old Republic Jedi(not sure if TOR or CW), not sure of rank but possibly a Padawan(I like the hairstyle, I think it's cute.). Now one thing I've decide on is, she wields a consular green saber staff, Phantasm Initiate V4 to be exact.

Now my questions are, is a Phantasm with initiate sized blades a good way to go, or would that be a bit too small for a fully grown Jedi? I'm 5'7" so not really petite, though I am slimish. Athletically built female would be a good description of my body type. Would that look like a proper weapon in my hands, or more like a toy? I won't be dueling, it's simply for cosplay so the look is more important than actual function.

Ignore the hair(bad day) but that's me, to help you out picturing it.

My next question: How practical IS a staff for costuming? If I go to any conventions, I'd have to be carrying it all day, is that something that gets old quick? It seems it might, but(for those with experience) is it at the level of "kinda annoying" or is it like "aw heck no, avoid at all costs?" Perhaps some carrying methods such as slinging it from my back(sans blades) might be better? I'd want blades for showing off and photo ops and such, but I suppose I can hold them along with the hilt, just not attached.

This is a long way off, but I would appreciate any input. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 06:09:32 AM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 03:24:30 AM »

As for carrying it all day, have you ever carried a walking stick, or hiking staff?  The biggest difference is that you won't normally be tapping, resting, leaning on the saber staff onto the ground, though I have a thought to that about putting a rubber cane tip on the end for walking and standing.  When standing, you can rest it on the ground and lean it against your shoulder/chest.  Walking you will have to either hold it up, or pick it up with each step.  Or you can make a rig to hold it and the blades while you go about your day.  For me, the most annoying part of being at a con with a staff or similar, is when you go to do things like shop, order food, sit to eat, or fill things out.  Also, panels sometimes. 

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 04:19:50 AM »

Carrying it can get to be a pain.
Actually easier with a staff than a normal saber. Because there's more length to lean against things if you set it down.
I'd likely go with 28" blades, rather than anything longer.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 05:21:37 AM »

As for carrying it all day, have you ever carried a walking stick, or hiking staff?  The biggest difference is that you won't normally be tapping, resting, leaning on the saber staff onto the ground, though I have a thought to that about putting a rubber cane tip on the end for walking and standing.  When standing, you can rest it on the ground and lean it against your shoulder/chest.  Walking you will have to either hold it up, or pick it up with each step.  Or you can make a rig to hold it and the blades while you go about your day.  For me, the most annoying part of being at a con with a staff or similar, is when you go to do things like shop, order food, sit to eat, or fill things out.  Also, panels sometimes. 

I hadn't thought of that, but it's a solid idea. I figured the carrying itself wouldn't be a big deal, but like you said, as soon as you go to do something it becomes a challenge.

Carrying it can get to be a pain.
Actually easier with a staff than a normal saber. Because there's more length to lean against things if you set it down.
I'd likely go with 28" blades, rather than anything longer.

Actually looking at my V2 Initiate, it seems pretty short. Imagining it double the length...still looks short to me. I think a full size Phantasm is better. Just holding my Dominix and Sentinel together as a staff, I like the hilt size that yields. Even with the 32" blades in, it doesn't seem all that terrible of a size. Perhaps full size Phantasm with 28" blades?

(Sig by me!)

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 05:45:59 AM »

I hadn't thought of that, but it's a solid idea. I figured the carrying itself wouldn't be a big deal, but like you said, as soon as you go to do something it becomes a challenge.

Actually looking at my V2 Initiate, it seems pretty short. Imagining it double the length...still looks short to me. I think a full size Phantasm is better. Just holding my Dominix and Sentinel together as a staff, I like the hilt size that yields. Even with the 32" blades in, it doesn't seem all that terrible of a size. Perhaps full size Phantasm with 28" blades?

You could even possibly have a rig you can put it in, perhaps on your back, together, for just when you are doing something, like looking at a merchant table for example.

I tend to have the same personal opinion about the Phantom vs Phantasm in size.  The doubled initiate or apprentice size seems like it would result in a cramped space, with awkward wrist angles, to me.  Though to be fair, I am VERY broad, with bear paw hands. 

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 06:14:10 AM »

All I can say right now is... WOW aren't you just adorable !!  Smiley

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 06:36:36 AM »

You could even possibly have a rig you can put it in, perhaps on your back, together, for just when you are doing something, like looking at a merchant table for example.

I tend to have the same personal opinion about the Phantom vs Phantasm in size.  The doubled initiate or apprentice size seems like it would result in a cramped space, with awkward wrist angles, to me.  Though to be fair, I am VERY broad, with bear paw hands. 

Yeah that's my thought as well. Also what I'm picturing IS more like the Phantasm, so I think I'm going that way. Not sure on blade size exactly though...

All I can say right now is... WOW aren't you just adorable !!  Smiley

(Sig by me!)

VaporTrail_000
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 07:12:23 AM »

I happen to have two Initiate V4 hilts and a set of adjustable flush couplers.

With two 24" initiate blades installed (each socket eats about 1.75" of blade length) the resulting saberstaff is right at 65.25".
Since I'm about 5'10" this puts the tip of one blade right at eye level, with the other on the floor, and me in bare feet. I'd expect a person 5' 7" to have the tip about mid-forehead when on the ground, depending on shoes.

Each blade is about 22.25" long from emitter to tip, the doubled hilt is 20.75" from emitter tip to emitter tip, and has approximately 13.25" from switch center to switch center, or just over 12.5" free grip between the switches.

I figure the 24" blades are probably about the right length, as I can spin the staff easily without hitting the ground. Much more length (say, 28" blades, which give a 26.25" exposed length and an overall length of 73.25" or 6'1.25") and you might wind up hitting the ground with spins.

Dark Apprentice LE V4 In Guardian Blue (Winter Sale Free Initiate)
Initiate V4 in Consular Green (Winter Sale Free Mystery Box)
Dark Initiate V4 LE in Consular Green, w/ LI-Ion pack (Winter Raffle 3rd Prize)
1 Diamond Initiate V4 LE
1 Diamond Dark Initiate V4

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 07:16:39 AM »

Yeah hey wow!  Looking good there. Smiley
I like your coat. Smiley

Malevolent Melaina had that exact staff, was that exact height, and used 28" blades.  It looked right, and she really didn't have an issue toting it around at cons.

She could easily stop and shop too - something she did a lot of actually.  

PM me for a pic, if you'd like.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 07:26:37 AM »

I happen to have two Initiate V4 hilts and a set of adjustable flush couplers.

With two 24" initiate blades installed (each socket eats about 1.75" of blade length) the resulting saberstaff is right at 65.25".
Since I'm about 5'10" this puts the tip of one blade right at eye level, with the other on the floor, and me in bare feet. I'd expect a person 5' 7" to have the tip about mid-forehead when on the ground, depending on shoes.

Each blade is about 22.25" long from emitter to tip, the doubled hilt is 20.75" from emitter tip to emitter tip, and has approximately 13.25" from switch center to switch center, or just over 12.5" free grip between the switches.

I figure the 24" blades are probably about the right length, as I can spin the staff easily without hitting the ground. Much more length (say, 28" blades, which give a 26.25" exposed length and an overall length of 73.25" or 6'1.25") and you might wind up hitting the ground with spins.

Like I said above, it's main use will be for costuming and attending cons. I'm not terribly worried about spinning, as I generally won't be doing that, other than maybe one "just cause" every once in a while. I'm more worried about it looking small in pics, not really function.

Yeah hey wow!  Looking good there. Smiley
I like your coat. Smiley

Malevolent Melaina had that exact staff, was that exact height, and used 28" blades.  It looked right, and she really didn't have an issue toting it around at cons.

She could easily stop and shop too - something she did a lot of actually.  

PM me for a pic, if you'd like.

Thank you! Smiley

I also sent you a PM.

(Sig by me!)

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 07:27:11 AM »

*Edit: My computer thinks it's funny, posting twice. lol

(Sig by me!)

VaporTrail_000
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 08:48:16 AM »

Figured I might as well drop a pic in too.

Sorry about the quality... tablet camera, probably should be cleaned... or burned in a fire Tongue

Here's the staff (in green Smiley )in comparison with my Diamond Initiate V4 (windowed emitter), Catalyst pommel, with a 36" blade in orange.
The single blade saber is 45" in overall length. The top of the mantel is 52 inches from the tile (that hearth rug is deceptively thick).  

Only issue I can see for 28" blades, if you're not planning on spinning the staff, is the non-standard length. You can cut down your own blades, or get custom length blades from US without the diffusion film.

Dark Apprentice LE V4 In Guardian Blue (Winter Sale Free Initiate)
Initiate V4 in Consular Green (Winter Sale Free Mystery Box)
Dark Initiate V4 LE in Consular Green, w/ LI-Ion pack (Winter Raffle 3rd Prize)
1 Diamond Initiate V4 LE
1 Diamond Dark Initiate V4

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 10:32:24 AM »

You need to talk to Logos about this, he rocks a staff at cons. I don't remember all the specs of BOOYA but I wanna say he has 32's (but he's taller) also has the quick release coupler for photo ops and if he gets sick of toting it as a staff

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 01:38:25 PM »

VaporTrail, that's a nice picture, but I'm not entirely sure about the size. I'd like to see a shot of you holding it if that's possible.

You need to talk to Logos about this, he rocks a staff at cons. I don't remember all the specs of BOOYA but I wanna say he has 32's (but he's taller) also has the quick release coupler for photo ops and if he gets sick of toting it as a staff

I was hoping he might pop in here with some input.

(Sig by me!)

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 04:26:51 PM »

So I've been imagining a cosplay character in my head, it's in the beginning stages of her development, the brainstorming phase. She's an Old Republic Jedi(not sure if TOR or CW), not sure of rank but possibly a Padawan(I like the hairstyle, I think it's cute.). Now one thing I've decide on is, she wields a consular green saber staff, Phantasm Initiate V4 to be exact.

Now my questions are, is a Phantasm with initiate sized blades a good way to go, or would that be a bit too small for a fully grown Jedi? I'm 5'7" so not really petite, though I am slimish. Athletically built female would be a good description of my body type. Would that look like a proper weapon in my hands, or more like a toy? I won't be dueling, it's simply for cosplay so the look is more important than actual function.

Ignore the hair(bad day) but that's me, to help you out picturing it.

My next question: How practical IS a staff for costuming? If I go to any conventions, I'd have to be carrying it all day, is that something that gets old quick? It seems it might, but(for those with experience) is it at the level of "kinda annoying" or is it like "aw heck no, avoid at all costs?" Perhaps some carrying methods such as slinging it from my back(sans blades) might be better? I'd want blades for showing off and photo ops and such, but I suppose I can hold them along with the hilt, just not attached.

This is a long way off, but I would appreciate any input. Smiley

Hey TJ.  I've had a couple different staff setups.  I'm 6'4", so I like longer 32" blades with coupled Aeons the best, but for you...  I'd recommend a Phantasm Initiate with a vented coupler.  The hilt length is quite comfortable and not toy-like at all.  With 24" blades the overall length is almost exactly six feet, which is the same as a standard Bo staff and a good wield length. 

For carrying...  Best long-term carry option I've uses is to replace the blade set screws with thumb screws so you can tighten and loosen them by hand.  (They also look like emitter adjustment nobs and add a little character to the hilts.)  Carry the hilt in a sheath on the belt, not unlike a machete sheath, and the blades in a carry bag on the opposite hip or across your back.   

That's how I'd do it at any rate.    Good luck!

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: