Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 939470 times)
ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #3195 on: May 29, 2019, 11:27:24 PM »

Going to argue this. If increased containment was required, why not simply turn down the power output to the blade? One could assume that a shorter blade would not have the same power requirements. I cite Yoda's shoto. It not only had a shorter blade, but the hilt itself was significantly smaller than a typical saber. The same array of components is needed to generate a blade, so the only real area he could sacrifice hilt size was in the size of the power cell.

Possibly.  Although, it's possible that Yoda might have used a smaller but more refined Kyber crystal (since Catalyst suggests that the Kybers resonate within the Force) due to his deeper connection to the Force, or possibly a smaller power battery source, since he didn't have to create as large a containment field.  We don't have a power cycling in the blade power, if I recall; we see it in the EU novels, but not in current canon material.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3196 on: May 30, 2019, 11:14:05 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFlzXfQb-UQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFlzXfQb-UQ</a>

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3197 on: May 30, 2019, 01:23:29 PM »

Possibly.  Although, it's possible that Yoda might have used a smaller but more refined Kyber crystal (since Catalyst suggests that the Kybers resonate within the Force) due to his deeper connection to the Force, or possibly a smaller power battery source, since he didn't have to create as large a containment field.  We don't have a power cycling in the blade power, if I recall; we see it in the EU novels, but not in current canon material.
And you really think I give 2 farts what the current canon says?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3198 on: May 30, 2019, 04:38:08 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghtP6f-Qq6k" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghtP6f-Qq6k</a>

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3199 on: May 30, 2019, 05:51:53 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tUF_jvTBE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tUF_jvTBE</a>

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #3200 on: May 30, 2019, 11:35:47 PM »

And you really think I give 2 farts what the current canon says?

Well, film/TV canon trumps EU.

Now that I think about it - I remember that in the Jedi Apprentice series, Gantoris builds a saber that can vary its blade length, but I can't recall anything about varied power cycles off the top of my head.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Archon - "Insight"

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3201 on: May 31, 2019, 12:23:00 AM »

Now that I think about it - I remember that in the Jedi Apprentice series, Gantoris builds a saber that can vary its blade length, but I can't recall anything about varied power cycles off the top of my head.

Kanan Jarrus' saber can change length. It is shown in season 1 of Star Wars Rebels.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #3202 on: May 31, 2019, 02:24:25 AM »

My Pazaak set came today! :DDDD So pumped! All I need now is something to make the sound effects XD

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #3203 on: May 31, 2019, 02:50:05 AM »

Kanan Jarrus' saber can change length. It is shown in season 1 of Star Wars Rebels.

And there's the gap I was looking for - have not yet gotten into Rebels, but that would prove that the light dagger concept is viable.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Archon - "Insight"

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3204 on: May 31, 2019, 04:26:29 AM »

And there's the gap I was looking for - have not yet gotten into Rebels, but that would prove that the light dagger concept is viable.

Rebels was super fun to watch. Especially as it got into the last seasons. While the dagger concept is viable, you would have to do some serious modifications to allow it to work. If you wanted a full sized hilt with a short blade, that would be pretty easy (or at least, easier). It is when you get into a small hilt that it would become a problem. There is just so much stuff required to fit into a hilt to make it work. Could they do it for a movie, yes. But it would give Logos another thing to complain about, because it doesn't follow any of the preset rules in SW. It would be purely for the sake of doing it, and they would not provide an adequate explanation for some viewers.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

CruentoNox
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 464

We are what they grow beyond

« Reply #3205 on: May 31, 2019, 04:54:44 AM »

Then you just don't turn it on until you have the emitter against your target's back.

Example:

In this case, I don't see any need for a shorter blade, as proven by the example  Wink

I believe most of the energy required for a lightsaber blade is needed towards creating both the plasma blade and the containment (magnetic?) field. The size of said balde and containment field would only require a little more or less energy to modify the length, but it may prove to be enough difference to allow for a smaller power cell.

Sabers Owned
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, SRD with AB FoC, windows and Green-Illuminated A/V Switch
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, AB with windows
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, SRD with windows
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, GB with AS FoC, windows and Non-Illuminated Silver A/V Switch
- Dominix V4, Stunt, BR with windows
- Bellicose, LITE sound, AS with AB FoC, Black blade holder, Bronze button, Long grooves pommel and White-Illuminated A/V Switch

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3206 on: May 31, 2019, 04:01:12 PM »

Well, film/TV canon trumps EU.
For now. -_-

Most sabers have blade length adjustment features. It's just that most of the Jedi/Sith we see have already worked out what length they are comfortable with, so we never see them use this feature. One aspect of Darth Maul's staff was, like the one of Exar Kun, each side was dual phase. This meant that the saber had 2 preset blade lengths that could be switched with the press of a button. The advantage would come from an opponent getting use to an assumed fixed length and underestimating your reach.

My Pazaak set came today!
You watch your mouth...er...fingers.

Quite viable. In fact Darth Torin is presently working on something akin to this:

Rebels was super fun to watch. Especially as it got into the last seasons. While the dagger concept is viable, you would have to do some serious modifications to allow it to work. If you wanted a full sized hilt with a short blade, that would be pretty easy (or at least, easier). It is when you get into a small hilt that it would become a problem. There is just so much stuff required to fit into a hilt to make it work. Could they do it for a movie, yes. But it would give Logos another thing to complain about, because it doesn't follow any of the preset rules in SW. It would be purely for the sake of doing it, and they would not provide an adequate explanation for some viewers.
If done within reason, I wouldn't have anything to complain about. But when they have it be flat disks incorporated into the palms of gloves, yeah I'm gonna have an issue. Although I've always felt that Yoda's saber was a little too small for a shoto, it wasn't beyond reason. I could easily see someone rocking twin shotos with the blade lengths turned down.

In this case, I don't see any need for a shorter blade, as proven by the example  Wink

I believe most of the energy required for a lightsaber blade is needed towards creating both the plasma blade and the containment (magnetic?) field. The size of said blade and containment field would only require a little more or less energy to modify the length, but it may prove to be enough difference to allow for a smaller power cell.
For me, blade length is more an aspect of fighting style. I personally prefer a 36" on my single sabers. But when I dual wield or staff, I prefer 32s. Reasons why a samurai always carries 3 swords: katana (60 - 73cm), wakizashi (30 - 60cm), and tanto (15 - 30cm). Each length has an attack range most effective to the desired task, but each blade is roughly the same style.

I'm not sure the containment field is magnetic. Magnetism (in my mind) wouldn't be disrupted my organic material, allowing the blade energy to escape and penetrate. And when dealing with metals, it might stick. I always viewed the field to be the same type of barrier created by energy shields. They repel energy sources, that's why sabers don't penetrate blades or force fields, and also deflect blast shots. The containment field acts like a bubble that keeps the kyber energy from escaping in a continuous beam. When it is interrupted by physical matter the energy is released and destroys the obstruction until the field can be reestablished.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #3207 on: May 31, 2019, 04:12:28 PM »

I'm not sure the containment field is magnetic. Magnetism (in my mind) wouldn't be disrupted my organic material, allowing the blade energy to escape and penetrate. And when dealing with metals, it might stick. I always viewed the field to be the same type of barrier created by energy shields. They repel energy sources, that's why sabers don't penetrate blades or force fields, and also deflect blast shots. The containment field acts like a bubble that keeps the kyber energy from escaping in a continuous beam. When it is interrupted by physical matter the energy is released and destroys the obstruction until the field can be reestablished.

In the EU its described as a field that causes the energy to "loop".  But Kanan, while training Sabine, mentions that the field emits a magnetic field which makes the blades drawn to each other.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3208 on: May 31, 2019, 04:47:32 PM »

In the EU its described as a field that causes the energy to "loop".  But Kanan, while training Sabine, mentions that the field emits a magnetic field which makes the blades drawn to each other.
Which of course is completely WRONG. Energy sources, particularly electricity, are negative in polarity. The field would have to also be negative in order be effective. Last I checked same repels same. So 1) how can blades attract to one another, and 2) how the hell do combatants get them apart again? Considering this comes from the same idiot writer that also gave them go-go Gadget Copter ability, I'm not surprised that it makes no sense.

Sig by For Tyeth

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3209 on: May 31, 2019, 05:10:52 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 263   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: